Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on December 10, 2007
Please forgive the annoyingly appropo title adjective...but I too used to work in a cube and found this book wonderful. Dear Joshua, did you also have acronym-guy in the works, because there is one in every office. You know the type, "Hey Michelle, did you get my RFP from the ACAP's VP? Enjoyable and satisfying read, but I was left with one question...whatever happened to Joe Pope?
on August 25, 2014
Fun reminder of what corporate life was life in advertising. But otherwise, not much to recommend it
on May 21, 2007
This debut novel is a hilarious view of office life that everyone who has ever worked in corporate America can relate to. Josh Ferris truly understands the human persona, and brings to life all of the characters we have encountered in our every day life. It is funny and touching. I highly recommend this book!
on August 28, 2008
I'm about a fifth of the way through this book, and I'm having a really tough time getting through it. Like many of the other reviewers, I was impressed by the praise it was getting and was expecting a quick, entertaining read. Instead, reading it has dragged on for 2 weeks (I actually stopped and read Generation Kill, which is the same size, in 2 days in between). A lot of the negative reviewers have mentioned the Office in comparison, and I think that highlights how poorly the characters are developed in this book. On the Office, Michael is a massive douche 80% of the time, but the other 20% is used humanize him, make him sympathetic, and provide insights on why he is the way he is. As a result, you care about the character, and his bumbling comes off funny and less anger-inducing. That is not the case in this book. So far, I have seen nothing to make any of the characters endearing. As a result, you have the guy that plays asinine pranks, the guy that prattles on about his "buckshelves", and the guy that constantly interrups. They are all hateable, because there's nothing that makes them stand out in any way except for their annoying quirks. I don't think I can finish this one, which bugs me, because I rarely put a book down, and I'm also tempted to find out what this "High school writing" ending is.
on December 13, 2007
Brilliantly observed and written, funny and true. The first-person plural may be a gimmick, but it sure worked for me. Anybody who has ever spent time in a cubicle farm, wondering when the axe is going to fall, will find many points of resonance in this novel.
on March 24, 2015
See my Comments about The Unnamed Joshua Ferris by the Same Author
on February 4, 2010
This book is not worth a lengthy review.

I read to page 63 and had to stop. The author wasn't giving me any suspense, important information, or hope that the story was going to get any better than office gossip, shenanigans, politics and power. I don't find that absorbing or worthy of my time.

Yes, it reminded me of the current TV sensation, "The Office," but I don't like that show either and for the same reasons. I don't like soap operas: They're filled with uninspiring, insipid, critical, self-absorbing characters.

So, THIS is a national bestseller? Well, forgive me (no, don't), but my taste in books runs differently.
on March 31, 2007
While it was an easy flow, the book was entirely uneventful. The characters never engaged me and there really wasn't a theme. It seemed like a "look at me, I'm witty" debut. Yet I can't bash it, as I enjoyed it at times.
on October 18, 2008
I read the reviews on the cover and they all raved, so I bought it. I barely got through the 100 page rule - i.e. you have to read 100 pages minus your age. It's about an advertising agency and the people in that agency so I'm not sure why it would be interesting and it's not. It's so boring and vacuous i did not complete it and can't believe the fuss.

However Josh Ferris is a good writer but Wim Wenders is a good movie maker and his movies are still boring. I can't recommend it.
on June 28, 2009
I was so eager to read this book. I spent more years than I care to remember working in a PR office, so I thought this book couldn't fail; even if it was light-weight and/or badly written I would like it, I thought. Wrong. I gave it a good try, 100 pages or so. But at the end of the 100 pages I felt no connection with any of the characters and, even more deadly, I hadn't laughed or snickered once. Sorry for the negative review. I give it 2 stars for a good attempt.