Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

100%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 27, 2009
I have to admit I did not finish the book. I flipped through it and I stopped before halfway.

This is not an easy book to write as the author puts herself at risk by trying to establish a certain system to theorize and desire has long been discussed by psychoanalysts and feminists. The former challenge undoubtedly makes the book too theoretical while the latter implies that new insights are hard to generate.

I believe that the author has done extensive research on the subject and master superb knowledge as well. However, the book is too overwhelmed with theories and while reading, readers are bombarded with lots of different sources and this makes me feel that the author is unable to locate some original and amusing insights. The content is very much driven by anthologizing what has been discussed by key writers and thinkers and the author tries to fit in her choice of texts into those summaries. However, a good book on cultural studies should be the other way round. Theories should be derived out from a text instead of being fit into one. I even feel that the author, while wanting too much to insert as many scholarly debates as possible, has lost track of what she aims at discussing. Nonetheless, Theorizing Desire could still be a resourceful guide to many if one wants to get hold of what the world is/has been debating on the subject.