Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Theory and Practice of Group Counseling
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 29, 2010
During grad school we used the earlier version of Corey's book. Anything by Corey is good stuff! I bought this edition and the workbook to review the concepts and dive a little deeper into my own reflection as a clinician and in preparation of leading several groups in the near future.

As always, Corey is insightful and practical. Using this along side of Yalom's classic The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, the clinician and the counseling grad student will reap a windfall of knowledge and practical application.

It's no wonder that Corey is lauded as a master clinician! Definitely worth your $$$ to have this in your therapuetic toolbox.
on June 9, 2014
I've read a couple of Group counseling textbooks and this is my favorite. I was upset with the price but Corey's writing is excellent, his in depth explanation of the different modalities was perfect and I especially appreciated the examples included. This will stay on my reference bookshelf for future use.
on March 3, 2016
Bought this for a course in my MSW program. I enjoyed the class and we really used the book from front to back. This book has a lot of usuful information if you are looking to start running groups or working with clients in your practicum. I plan on keeping this text and not selling it back because of all the information that you can gain from this book. Im glad that I took the course because of this book!.
on March 28, 2014
Great book, I would reccomend to buy it versus renting. Excellent materials and good examples. I have a problem with renting -- whenI ask if i want to buy the book, Amazon requested full price for the book -- I can get it for 1/3 of requested price -- just international edition, no differences.
on May 16, 2014
In the first five chapter, Corey was defining the stages that the therapist will need to go through to apply these six phases in the group therapy. When it came to its application, he did not follow exactly the same pattern, and he did not give more than one example, in one chapter. I am not sure. Why did not he consider that student would like to use his books for future references?

In Chapter 9, He named the chapter Cognitive therapy, but started to work on the approach as if he is talking about Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Corey knows that differences exist between the initial approach and its modern evolutions; thus, they are not similar in their key concepts, goals, and used techniques.

Similarly, in that same chapter of Cognitive therapy approach, he illustrated the six stages in three only. He has assumed that it is understandable that some stages can be merged together; however, it is not easy to figure it out if a student is anxious to make no mistakes or wrong guesses. if Corey has considered given one exact example, and other abbreviated, I believe it could be justified and understandable that there are several ways to apply these phases,
on December 4, 2013
It is really a good book to have your whole life!
Every chapter has clearly statement and category, conclusion also good, also it is easy to compare different aspects of each theory.
on January 12, 2016
My book arrived with the cover ripped clean off of the book. I'm astounded that I was charged over $40 for a book that's in such abysmal shape. I seriously hope the seller see this and does something to make it correct.

The book content itself is amazing. Corey is a notable expert in the counseling field, and his texts are very approachable and readable.
on May 3, 2013
I ordered this book for my group art therapy class. It is well written and interesting. The only thing that sucks is that the pages starting coming out towards the end of the semester which probably means the binding was not done well.
on February 17, 2013
Excellent book on group counseling. It covers multiple theories that can be used in effective group counseling. A central theme that it seems to me runs through the book is that though every theoretical background focuses on a little different area; they are also all the same. The book leads me to think "Ok...learn all of the rules and then forget them!". Great book!
on July 9, 2013
This book is a little expensive for what you get out of it. The beginning is about ethics and general group therapy terms. In later chapters the authors summarize theoretical models and apply them to group therapy. Pro: it's a great book for future reference; it gives you overarching ideas; and it's not too boring. Con: it's expensive; and a little too basic for a graduate level student.