4.0 out of 5 stars The "master" speaks to grasshopper...
Published on August 1, 2006 by Eliza Bennet

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic that needs reorganization
Yalom's book is a classic in group therapy. It focus the core elements and process of group therapy and it is quite complet in content. But I found the book quite disorganized in presenting the content.
Published 7 months ago by Antonio C. P. Nt

4.0 out of 5 stars The "master" speaks to grasshopper..., August 1, 2006
This review is from: Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
Yalom has vast knowledge and experience with group therapy, and in this book he imparts it to neophyte counselors in a logical and detailed format. He carefully explains the therapeutic value of a group, the factors necessary to facilitate change, and the role of the therapist. He emphasizes the here-and-now focus, and how group members create a social microcosm of their life within the therapy group. Yalom advises on practical matters, like the selection of clients and the creation of the group. He then carefully explores the stages that groups move through, and some problem members that one could encounter.

The drawbacks of this volume include the length - it is excessively long (they could cut chapter 9) due to the verbosity of the author. I had to look up several words and phrases that I was unfamiliar with, and I have to admit, some pages bored me. Nevertheless, for a text, this is a great book. I read every page, to the end, even the unassigned chapters. I'll keep this in my library for reference, and I hope to be able to refer to it repeatedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yalom rocks!!, December 12, 2009
I love reading Yalom. He makes group therapy concepts flow like a river. I would give this as a gift to every student of psychology, psychiatry, nursing, social work, that I know. Not having won the lottery, I am thrilled to have it in my own library.

5.0 out of 5 stars authentic and proficient towards human health, September 2, 2011
Cristal clear, authentic, proficient, interpersonal aproach.I read the book 10 - 12 hours per day, almost without pause.Useful in all paradigms. The therapeutic factors are : instilation of hope,universality, imparting information, altruism, corrective recapitulation of thr primary family group. The comparative value of the clients'and therapists' views are very usefully presented.Working in the Here-and-Now, positive and negative catharsis ( with corrective interpretation),and the liaison with other books of professor Yalom, are only a few ideas of this great book. I recommand it for student, teachers and everyone interested in personal development.
Jean Boutiere

4.0 out of 5 stars Yalom- before he was an author, August 26, 2007
This book was a required reading for one of my classes at school. I am familiar with Yalom's work after he became an author of more popular literature (The Gift of Therapy, Love's Executioner, etc.) so I was half expecting this book to be written in the same style. It is written like a text book. At times, you can see Yalom's personality coming through, but most of it is dry and rather unemotional. However, this book is still edifying and (while not entertaining) easily read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist, Hallandale Beach, FL, July 24, 2013
The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy by Irwin Yalom is on of the best books available on Group Psychotherapy. You will learn about group psychodynamics and how to move the group forward in a positive direction. This is a wonderful book for psychiatrists to read. It is very well written and easy to understand. I give it a 5 star Excellent rating. By Gregg L. Friedman MD, Psychiatrist, Hallandale Beach, FL

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, September 14, 2013
This is Yalom. What more do I need to say? His respect for the contributions of clients/patients to their own healing, and the healing of other persons in group context inspires me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 31, 2013
Excellent book, a must have additon to any counseling student's library. The book is set up in an easy to follow format, and the authors message is easy to understand. I have the kindle version and I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, January 30, 2014
This book is entertaining to read, and it is not just another textbook. The author gives a lot of examples of what he is talking about, which helps to break up the information and to show precisely his point. I thoroughly enjoy this book, even though the size seems daunting.

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic that needs reorganization, January 16, 2014
Antonio C. P. Nt (São Paulo, SP Brazil) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition, January 2, 2014
I highly recommend this book if you are in the counseling industry. It tells all about group therapy. I found it very useful as I worked on my Masters in Counseling.

Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition
Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition by Molyn Leszcz (Hardcover - July 6, 2005)
$55.00 $45.35