Thera-Band Light Flex Bar, Red
Color Name: RedChange
Price:$13.71 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 28, 2010
Good product. I'm using it to heal tennis elbow and it is a big help. Make sure, however, you select the right tension for your intended use. For tennis elbow therapy you pre-twist the bar and then release the twist with your hurt arm. The blue bar is very stiff and challenging to twist. It would likely be painful for a moderate to severe case of tennis elbow. I suggest the red or green bar for tennis elbow. For strength building by bending the bar, the blue is challenging but fine. For reference I am a 48 year old male, 6'3", in good shape, who plays competitive tennis 5 times a week. I hope this is helpful.
on June 1, 2010
I got Tennis Elbow from golfing in 2003. (pain on the outside elbow joint) I had cortisone shots 2 years in a row to at the suggestions of several people. Each time the pain came back. Then I tried acupuncture. That helped for a while as well, but the pain came back again. I wore the strap on my forearm to lower the pain while golfing. This was tolerable, but not the long term solution.

I heard about the flex bar and googled it on the internet. This was over a year ago. This is the only thing that has worked for me. I have been pain free for over a year. I continue to use it occasionally as preventive medicine.
on May 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have both golf elbow and tennis elbow in both arms, which is pretty funny considering I don't play and rarely do anything with repetitive motion. I was treated with ultrasound, localized steroids, and given the standard exercises. Only the exercises helped, but I had to do them a couple of times a day, they only provided partial relief, and if I stopped the pain came right back and it would take a week or two of exercising to get them to calm down again.

I saw the article about the Tyler Twist with Flexbar in the NY Times, ordered the red one and consider it the best money I ever spent on a health care product.

If you go to YouTube you can see better videos of the exercises than were available in 2009 when the Times article appeared. Just search for Theraband Flexbar. The Tyler Twist and Reverse Tyler Twist are really simple exercises - quick and very effective. And I never needed to go up to the next resistance (green). Every couple of months the elbows start to get sore, I whip out the red bar, do the exercises and two days later the pain is gone.

If you have either tennis elbow or golf elbow you can't do any better than to use this product. Quick, cheap and easy - can't beat that. Thank you Theraband and Tim Tyler!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2010
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
Use the Thera-Band flexbar as directed for "tennis elbow" and you should get relief as did I. Had to dig deep to find out the recommended regimen is 15 reps, three times a day. I bought both the red and the green bars, and found that either would work just fine--don't need both.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
Like any therapy for elbow tendonitis, it has to be done properly and at the right time. This Thera-Band can be quite effective, but it has to be done judiciously and in moderation, or injury can result making the condition worse.

The bands come in 3 strengths. My advice is to start with the lightest band, no matter how strong you think you are. Follow the directions and do not overdo the exercises! If the tendon hurts while you are doing the exercises, stop!. Too much tension on the elbow tendon will further injure the area and set you back. The main consideration is to have the tendon on the mend before you begin these exercises. A sore, stiff tendon is not the situation you want to begin this sort of therapy. So start when there is no pain, go easy, and progress through the three bands slowly and progressively.

The purpose of the band exercises is to promote strength and healing along the long axis of the tendon, and to prevent irregular healing of collagen fibers and scar tissue. Done properly and progressively, (not rushing the steps) will most likely result in a gradual strengthening of the tendon until pain is gone and full function is returned. Again, this process cannot be rushed. Take it slow and don't rush through the steps.

One final tip, before doing the exercises, warm the tendon with moist warm cloths. This will take about 10 minutes, it will warm the tissues and stimulate the blood supply. Once warm, gently stretch the tendon and then use the band. Afterwards, if pain results, ice the area down for 10-15 minutes.

These three bands constitute a means to heal and resolve chronic elbow tendonitis. Further damage can result if the exercises are done wrong or too excessively, so start slow and progress slowly. Given adequate time, this is a valuable therapy for elbow tendonitis.

kone
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2009
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
After reading an article in the NY Times and watching a You Tube video, I ordered the red (weakest) Flexbar for my longstanding, chronic tendonitis. The exercise is different than any of those outlined in the instruction manual -- be sure to read Dr. Timothy Tyler's method! There was immediate improvement, and by two weeks my pain was gone! I highly recommend the Flexbar!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2013
Color Name: Yellow
When you first put the flexbar in your hand, you'll immediately notice it feels like a piece of dense foam rubber - very spongy. A few details about it...

* its used to exercise the forearms

* because it works the forearm muscles, its a good tool to try if you have tennis elbow

* you use it by holding it in both hands. It requires you to twist it - then, when it untwists, that's when it gives you some resistance and exercises your muscles

* this untwisting motion provides what is known as eccentric exercise to the forearm muscles - which has been shown to help with tendinitis conditions (see Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow for more info on that)

So it's pretty easy to use - but it does take a few minutes to get the hang of - then its a piece of cake. Know that its lightweight, and pretty durable - so it should last awhile. If all else fails, you can always use it to throw at stupid people or play fetch with your dog.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2009
Verified Purchase
This worked great for me, but with these provisos.
1. You have to look up the Tyler Twist on Google to figure out which exercise to do. It's a specific exercise for tennis elbow that isolates and stretches the tight, tense muscle at the root of the pain. This exercise doesn't come with this product.
2. The stretching helps right away, but tendons take a while to heal, so don't expect an overnight cure. Figure on at least three weeks.
3. This blue is okay for fit men, but probably the green is the starting point for most people.
on May 11, 2011
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
After playing tennis for over ten years, I developed Tendinosis in my elbow after playing on old strings while not warming up enough in cold weather. Plus, as a homemaker I was carrying a very heavy sweeper up the stairs, doing lots of laundry, gardening, playing tennis too frequently ect.... Needless to say my elbow gets much use. And, I am at the ripe age for what all the medical sites say for developing TE- 45. Now for the review. I bought the Thera-band flexbar because I was at my wits end. I bought the red one. The Thera-band flexbar did not help because I started it too early in my treatment while my elbow was still too sensitive/pain for the strengthening part of treatment. I can see how this could be more helpful as a strengthening, flexibility exercise once the elbow tendons are more healed. But, in my opinion it is NOT for the first or second phase or treatment, but could be more for the third. 1. rest 2. stretching 3. strengthening. Please note on one website, I read it takes 100 days for the elbow to have started to rebuild the collagen. And if you have tennis elbow, most reliable medical sites say it will take 6 months to 2 years to heal. If I could sell patience for people who have Tennis Elbow (tendinosis) - I would- and then I would be rich.

Update May 2012: it took a year for my tennis elbow to heal, but I am back to full use of my elbow. The cure: I took a year off of tennis, and when I went back I restrung at a lower tension with 17 string that was much softer. Although it took a full year to heal, I feel that was the best course. I really have empathy for people who have physical jobs and have tennis elbow.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2012
...you need to do them.

If you have actual 'tennis elbow', and it has lasted for months/years with no improvement, I would highly recommend doing the so-called 'eccentric' exercises for 3-4 months.
It's the only thing that has actually improved my condition.

You might think that the average physical therapist is well-versed in these types of exercises; they aren't necessarily.
After I had about a dozen sessions of physical therapy (which cost a lot and did absolutely nothing to fix the problem) my physical therapist happened to take a weekend course dealing with tendonitis/tendonosis, and it turns out that the type of exercise you perform with the Flexbar is pretty much the ONLY thing that works on this particular ailment.

It's slow going, but I am almost pain-free now after about 3 months of 3x15 reps on the Flexbar daily. Of course, I have mostly avoided doing the things that brought it on (in my case, computer work), but the pain has diminished enough that I frequently forget to do the exercises, and I even catch myself doing stuff that used to hurt. Quite an improvement on an injury that was beginning to seem permanent.

Also, I gradually increased the intensity by moving my hands closer together on the bar and eventually started 'maxing out' on each twist, basically making the exercise as hard as possible.
Yes, it hurt during the exercise, but the overall daily pain actually decreased. Generally, the harder I went at it, the less pain I felt the next day.
I am just adding this because I couldn't find anything on-line about increasing the intensity. For what it's worth, it worked for me.

I apologize for the rambling review, but I hope I can help someone save their time and money.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...