Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on May 12, 2007
This guide was a concise and clear way to review the exam material quickly and throughly. I recommend it as a study tool to prep properly for the exam. I used this along with a few outlines from my classes, as a supplement, and I passed the exam yesterday in the first 90 questions. The exam was easier than the study guide's practice tests...if you do well with the practice exams, you'll be fine on the real deal.
on January 6, 2009
I took the exam yesterday and received an unofficial 'pass' result. I completed all of the review items in this book and studied my other texts and class notes. At this time, I have mixed feelings about recommending this book. First, the exam content breakdown is not the same as it was when this book was written. Secondly, I found a few obvious errors in this book (in one question the names Enrique and Henry are used interchangeably; the item counts in the scoring categories for the practice exams do not always match the item counts in the grading categories). As I also questioned a couple of the practice item answers, finding other inaccuracies validated my concerns about those items. Admittedly, I seriously questioned only about two out of hundreds of items.
This guide would be more useful if it was updated to reflect the current exam content (and more carefully edited). It would be tremendously improved if the answers to the questions were referenced as they are in the online items available through the NCTRC website. I suspect that some of the questions were taken directly or paraphrased from the TR texts but hunting for the relevant chapter or section is pretty difficult given the number and length of options. Referencing the answers would help me guide my studies and give the material greater credibility.

****UPDATE October 2014****
I just took (and received an unofficial 'pass') the CTRS exam again because I had not accrued ample continuing ed hours while I was attending graduate school for the past 4 years. I used the newest version - 4th edition, copyright 2013 - of this study guide, and I would give this version about a 4.5 star rating. It was a much better match with the current exam, and I think that completing several of the practice exams definitely put me in the right frame of mind. Looks like Amazon is not carrying this edition so I recommend that potential test takers seek out a copy.
on January 25, 2012
Unlike other publications available, this book is compiled by NCTRC affiliated professionals. The 3rd edition Stumbo/Folkerth study guide provides an excellent comprehensive framework from which to review NCTRC exam content. When combined with the NCTRC website Exam Content Outline and Reference list one would be well-prepared to sit for the national certification exam. The basic information section of the study guide is followed by practice tests designed in the same proportions to the NCTRC exam. Test results in these practice tests further serve as invaluable reviews/study. In addition,current references to other study materials are noted. Use of this study guide can significantly decrease study time as well as encourage confidence in candidates. I am a "retired" CTRS and will keep this study guide as my personal summary to many fulfilling years in the therapeutic recreation field.
on May 14, 2009
I would recommend this book to anyone who is studying for the NCTRC exam and needs some guidance and practice. The introductory chapters are helpful and provide valuable information on each section of the test with additional sources for a deeper knowledge of the topic. The practice tests in the back of the book are very similar to the exam and help prepare you for the length, content, and time of the test. I felt very confident to take the exam after studying with this book! I was not disappointed.
on December 12, 2009
This study guide was very helpful... all I can say is I passed on the first try!
on September 4, 2012
While I admit this needs a bit updated, This book helped me immensely. I took the exam in May and passed! There are different versions of the test so I would study all of the rec therapy books you own. When I took the test, the initial questions were pretty foreign. I have been taking rec therapy classes for four years and I know some of the stuff I saw on that test was never talked about it class and it was not covered in the book also. What did save me were the testlets. Pretty much every question I took in the testlets were covered in this book. In fact, most of the questions were word for word from this book. I studied the practice tests in this book (They give you five) and I am so glad I did. This was a great resource to brush up your knowledge before the exam and I highly recommend it.
on December 30, 2015
This is one of the main sources I used when studying for the NCTRC. It is a fabulous book that is simple, straight forward and practical. Questions are set up just like they would be on the exam. Great study tool to supplement anyone's prep for the NCTRC
on August 5, 2013
Purchased this book as I was preparing to take my CTRS exam. Read this book thoroughly and still had time to do other readings for school. Unfortunately the test is very different than any other exam.
on May 20, 2013
The book was out of stock when I needed it most! Yet, I was able to find one for sale for $99.00....yes, when it only retailed for $35.00. It was the best monetary investment I could have made for helping prepare me for the exam. Worth every penny! It gives a thorough outline of all the possible content on the exam. Definitely a good guide to use, especially if you don't know where to start.
on March 30, 2014
This is a great resource for Therapeutic Recreation Specialists. I passed my test with it, so I can personally vouch for it. It will pay off for you too!