5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read!
Published on September 1, 2007 by M. Noll

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
This book is pretty repetitive and not very interesting. Baby finds it boring.
Published 29 days ago by Christine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read!, September 1, 2007
This review is from: There Is a Bird On Your Head! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) (Hardcover)
There Is a Bird On Your Head! is my son's favorite of the Elephant and Piggie books! This whole series is great fun... my son loves the expressions on the faces of both characters. And, more importantly, HE wants to do the reading at bedtime because he has fun trying to match his reading to the expressions from the faces. And, we love looking for Pigeon on the back covers! I wish there were more of these books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new readers !!!, November 29, 2007
My first grader (who's been struggling with reading in general and lacking motivation) just read this book aloud to me and her little brother at bedtime and they were both laughing hysterically at the end. We'd taken the 4 books in this series out of the library, and when I suggested it was time for bed she literally begged me to read the other 3 RIGHT NOW, which we did.
Few things make a parent prouder than hearing your child learn to read, except maybe when they finally get excited about it!
We are all now Mo Willems fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner for My Avid Read Constantly (Just Not Books) Son, October 4, 2007
My little boy reads everything with words on it... except, ofcourse, for books. He usually yells at me when I have the audacity to suggest we sit down and cuddle and read but this book was different.

It was my first time reading anything by Mo Willems so I had no preconceived notions. What I found was very funny text on clean, simply illustrated pages without too many words on each page. YES!

My six-year-old son has been reading (self taught) since he was four, but normally there is too much stuff going on in books with lots of detailed, color spread pages. This title had the perfect balance of white space without too many words and an enjoyable story that didn't talk down to a child who favors this style of book.

I have never had him sit there and read through a whole book for me. He read this entire book and would have read it again. It felt like a miracle.

Perhaps it was.

Mo Willems, you have my heart. Sam and I will read more of your books!

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpected great moment, February 22, 2008
Jacqlyn Cyr (South Portland, Maine) - See all my reviews
I happen to be waiting for exrays for my elderly mother and I happened to pick up this book and decided to make time pass quickly,so I began to read aloud to my mother (84yrs. old). Well, we both laughed wholeheartedly with each turn of the page. Even bystanders enjoyed it. So young or old, Mo touches the child in all of us.The humor was simple and well illustrated.I wish I had grandchildren to read to but I am sure going to get the entire collection, just in case, and in the meantime I will read to my favorite audience, Mom. Thanks for the moment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mo Willems should be declared a National Treasure!, September 18, 2008
Mo Willems is a genius. These books work like a classic Warner Brothers cartoon; working on two levels simultaneously. There's simple sight-gag humor for the kids; and sly, subtle humor for the grownups. The sparse but extremely expressive artwork is a joy to behold and study. My 4 year old daughter encounterd this book in a library while on vacation this summer. We all find the book and all the others in the series to be excruciatingly funny! We read the books aloud; I play Gerald, and my daughter plays Piggie. (I also do any other minor characters) We read the dialogue in a huge, over-the-top, melodramatic fashion, doing our best Mel Blanc/Daws Butler impressions, and act out the physical bits where we can... She just dissolves into fits of hysterical laughter... We have all of the Piggie books now, and several of the "Pigeon" series too. I cannot recommend the works of Mo Willems highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore Elephant and Piggie!, April 25, 2010
Easy Readers are kinda a pain to deal with. You want to hold your kid's attention naturally (they won't want to read a boring book, and who can blame them?) while teaching them something, and you want them to want to read the book again. Reading a book more than once increases their understanding. (Plus, you probably don't have enough cash to buy enough books for your kid to read them each one time only.)

This is a tough sell. Kids don't want to read "books" that are nothing but thinly done excuses for teaching "-at" words, or practicing their first Dolch list. They want to read literature! Not baby books! And you're holding them back! (And then they open up literature and get frustrated. You just can't win.)

Well, forget all that. Elephant and Piggie is your solution.

These books are definitely easy. They have few words, and a lot of repetition of the words they have. (They're told in (very funny) dialog, and for humor one character often repeats another's sentence verbatim. "There is a bird on your head." "There is a bird on my head???")

But they're also FUNNY. I'm a grown-up, I see these jokes telegraphed a mile away, and I still crack up reading them.

And the illustrations! Just enough to help the cautious reader... but not so detailed that the reader can depend entirely on them to tell the story. No, you have to read the words.

These books are wildly funny, and they're educational. Your kid will read them to tatters. What more can you ask?

My favorite part of this book has to be Piggie's tears when the eggs hatch. A[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toddler book!, October 11, 2008
Teresa Hodek (Hermantown, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves this book! Never fails to get lots of belly laughs. The text in the thought bubbles is really secondary to the telling of the story that goes on via the drawings of Elephant and Piggie. This has been a bedtime favorite for some time and still has not gotten old - highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for daughter and mom, May 20, 2008
Linnea's Mom (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on the reviews of others. My daughter is 1˝ and since we live abroad, I am trying to encourage her English skills and the book sounded funny.

She loves this book and can now count to three and say "hatching", although I am not quite sure how handy THAT word comes in...:-)
The book is always read at least three times and I enjoy it as much as she does - I can highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!!!!!, July 13, 2013
My five-year-old and I both love this book, so it must be doing something right. In fact, we have endless fun reenacting it---in the car, on line, any time. "Is there a bird on my head?"---it's a line I hear often, and it doesn't get old. When we get to the part when Piggy says that the birds are "love birds," my son is gleeful and ecstatic, and I'm laughing hysterically. We've adapted the story to other situations as well, and many species have made "nests" on our heads: penguins, walruses, pterodactyls. This is simple, real, funny. After all, I know I've wondered occasionally if there is a bird on my head. . . (or lipstick on my teeth, or a stain on my backside). This book extends the idea that we can't see ourselves as others see us as far as it will take us---and provides many lessons on the way: you can just ask the birds to leave, can't you?

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Mo!, November 23, 2007
Sparky (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
My son (who just turned 4) -discovered Mo Willems books a few years ago - his first was "Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus" which illicted belly laughs for MONTHS. We moved on to the other pigeon books which were well-loved also. Now that my son is 4 and recognizing letters and a few word books, we got the Elephant and Piggie books - he loves them and laughs heartily with each reading. The illustrations are hilarious - the elephant's facial expression crack my boy up. Also, the simple text is great for him to practice letters and reading easy words but he doesn't get bored with it. As a bonus, we live in Brooklyn and went to a signing - Mo signed this book for my son and it is one of his prized possessions.

There Is a Bird On Your Head! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
There Is a Bird On Your Head! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) by Mo Willems (Hardcover - July 31, 2007)
$8.99 $6.00