5.0 out of 5 stars An infopill of fun that needs to be swallowed!
I am not a big fan of science fiction, whether the movies or in print. That declaration out of the way, I want it known that I loved There Goes the Galaxy! Five stars isn't enough in a universe full of 'em!

Published on September 22, 2011 by Ron Wells

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, not great but not horrible either
I picked it up when it was free just to see and for the price I paid, I enjoyed it. It was fairly cheesy and for the most part I did not find it humorous. I felt it was kind of slow explaing about the "bad guys" but I guess it was necessary to get a better understanding of where everyone is coming from. The last half of the book is way better than the first half and...
Published on July 15, 2012 by P. Kryske

5.0 out of 5 stars An infopill of fun that needs to be swallowed!, September 22, 2011
Ron Wells (SPOKANE, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)

Poignant, fresh, funny, witty dialogue and characters that keep you wishing you were in the driver seat of a ICV while zipping across the GCU. Err...you'll have to read to understand, and when you do, you won't be disappointed.

Most of all, There Goes the Galaxy was beautifully written. I read a lot, and most of that is new, or self-published authors, doing my part to lend support for those who dream of writing that 'next big thing'. Some are good, some are not so, and others, like Jenn Thorson, come along and pleasantly surprise me by how well an unknown author can write. I was truly impressed, and hopefully, we haven't seen the last of Jenn.

From the beginning I was hooked on There Goes the Galaxy, and was mildly disappointed when it ended. But hopefully we haven't seen the last of Bertrum Ludlow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully, the start of a series..., January 9, 2012
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)
"There Goes the Galaxy" is a fast-paced, hilarious romp through a galactic civilization by a hapless "tryfling" (earthling) suddenly kidnapped by aliens and charged with saving the Earth from an unknown peril. This story has the some of the same zany humor and feel as "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but the main character has a serious reason to fight his way through many difficulties. The action and backgrounds also have some of the ambience of Keith Laumer's Retief novels, not so much the main character as the aliens, humor and action sequences. The bad guys in the story are sales/marketing divisions of major galactic corporations (who covet Earth for development purposes.)

This is an intelligent and engaging novel that is a lot of fun to read. The ending seems to be set up for a sequel. At least I hope so...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequelize me Captain!, November 2, 2011
I ended up staying up until 3:30 in the morning reading this book! It was great fun and an enjoyable sci-fi romp. Original work in the vein of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with a reflection on our current conventions on coffee bars, book clubs, and media empires.

Looking forward to the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, surprised and captivated, October 31, 2012
Jack C. (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
I decided to read Jenn's book based solely on her description of it as a humorous science fiction tale. Since I knew she wasn't a prolific, established sci-fi writer I was prepared to be entertained but not overwhelmed by her effort. I was wrong. I was overwhelmed...and very entertained. I'm grateful to social networks since that's where I encountered Jenn and heard about this book.

While it could be said that there are vague similarities between Jenn Thorson's "There Goes the Galaxy" and Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", each has its own unique voice and style. "There Goes the Galaxy" chronicles the adventures of Bertram Ludlow as he unwillingly becomes the sole human being tasked with saving the planet Earth.

American readers will likely find more to identify with in Ludlow than they did with Arthur Dent. For much of the first half of the story he doubts his sanity and seriously considers the possibility that all he's experiencing is little more than the result of a stress-induced mental breakdown, a feeling I suspect most of us would share in similar circumstances. The character of Ludlow is detailed well enough for the reader to feel familiar with him without wasting words on excessive minutiae. In this Jenn is consistant throughout the novel. We get a good feel for people and places without the plot being slowed down with the effort. The only facit of this tale that was mildly disappointing was the ending. But I have to admit it is a clever and satisfying way to leave the reader eager to read the next Ludlow story. And Jenn, you definitely owe us another in this series. I sense Bertram has many more adventures ahead of him. I'm dying to know what happens between him and Rozz, and will Rolliam ever find happiness as a rare book dealer.

The author exhibits the good sense to remember minor plot complications and eventually resolve them. Toward the end of the novel I wondered if she was hoping the reader would forget that Rozz was still wearing her control helmet. But Jenn remembered and dealt with it effectively and humorously. And Jenn has a deft touch with ironic references. I won't admit how long it took for me to get the gag in the name of the Seers of...well, read the book, you'll see.

Yes, read the book. If you enjoy humor and sci-fi and want to be thoroughly entertained for less than you'd spend on a cup of joe at the coffee shop, read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, interesting read., October 18, 2011
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)
Fun too. I only took a break when the dogs really needed to go out. After a while I left the door open for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Punny :), February 2, 2012
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)
The book was good, save one or two continuity issues in the story line (which I might not be remembering correctly). I had a lot of fun reading There Goes the Galaxy. Though at times, the puns were laid on a bit thick, such as Seers of Roebuck, podunk, and par too. As a fan of hardcore sci-fi, this was a welcome relief from having people dying in the first paragraph or two because they forgot to test the air for pathogens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, hilarious space romp, December 31, 2011
Melissa (United States) - See all my reviews
There Goes the Galaxy was a lot of fun. At first, I tried highlighting the funny parts but quickly realized the whole book was going to be yellow so I gave up and just enjoyed the ride. The author does an excellent job of keeping the humor and word play going non-stop. I'll be looking for more from Jenn Thorson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soap on a rope., December 19, 2011
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)
I have read thousands of sf novels. This is a great example of absurdist sf, much like Hitchhikers in tone and language, but I can assure you there is only one towel on one page. There is, however, a significant soap on a rope. And our hero, Bertram,and his ex, Rozz, are not merely pinging around the universe, victims of the paddles of fate, but are actively working to save themselves and the Earth.
My favorite scene is when the non-organic rights march is joined by life for tryfe march, engineered by Bertram by offering food for marchers, and then the march turns into a 5,000 member OWS riot. The interview of the compost pile was priceless.
I highly recommend this novel, and I will buy the sequel when it comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars For fans of absurd science fiction, right up their alley, November 22, 2011
This review is from: There Goes the Galaxy (Paperback)
My full review can be found here:[...]. Overall, I enjoyed it even though I'm more into reading crime fiction recently. However, for fans of absurd science fiction, this is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny! Witty! Imaginative! Other Adjectives!, April 3, 2013
If Harry Potter had a normal, semi-boring life in Pittsburgh, had developed a sense of humor, and was chosen by aliens instead of wizards to step up and save the world, his name would likely be Bertram Ludlow and his story would have been told by Jenn Thorson. Her fun, witty, wildly imaginative first book was funny, witty, and...um...imaginative. Wildly. Hey, she's the writer, I'm just a reader. Anyway, I highly recommend this book to anyone who appreciates funny, imaginative witticism.

There Goes the Galaxy
There Goes the Galaxy by Jenn Thorson (Paperback - September 12, 2011)
$15.99 $13.49