5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! On the Program for 6 Weeks

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK, but save your $
Published on January 19, 2008 by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! On the Program for 6 Weeks, February 27, 2008
R. Ball (Hayden, Idaho) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day+ Program (Paperback)
I received this book about 6 weeks ago and have been following the suggestions by Dr. Cousens. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 years ago with an A1c of almost 14. I tried vegetarian diets, all the way to Atkins, with little success. I was taking 30u of Novolog and 40-50u of Lantus daily. At my previous doctor's visit my A1c was 8.4 (with my lowest ever at 7.4) and my cholesteral was 324! I tried Lipitor but gave it up because of how it made me feel. Now, I'm shooting about 10u of Novolog and 20-25 of Lantus daily. I just returned from my appointment today and my A1c is 6.8! And my cholesteral is 164!!! I am a believer! I am probably only 90% raw and I still do put a little feta/parmesan in my salads, but I am so committed to this new way of being! I also do not use soy products, wheat or breads... My new goals are to have an A1c <6 and maintain healthy cholesteral levels. All in all this is a great book and is full of helpful ideas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruth Walther Reviews, May 25, 2008
See the You Tube Video Raw for Thirty about diabetics using this program to cure their diabetes.

I find it amazing that of the reviewers that say they have diabetes- every single one said this program lowered their blood sugars and it works. Yet, people give the program a lukewarm review because it is too hard, or there aren't enough recipes, nor an exact diet given. Do you want a program that will help you cure your diabetes or not? This program gets you perfect blood sugar.

I am also a fan of Dr Richard Berenstein's Diabetes Solution. Berenstein says eat enough meat to feel satisfied. I see a lot of overlap between what these doctors are saying- yet one is a vegan rabbi and the other is an advocate of meat eating. That should tell you something. (Eat tons of vegetables, avoid most fruits and starches. Coffee is bad. You need to exercise to control blood sugar and build muscle. All those fake sugars are very bad. Berenstein says most of them don't work to control blood sugar, and Cousins sees them as toxic. )

But Dr Cousins program also brings in a spiritual dimension. You will be physically healthier if you don't eat meat, but especially you will be doing the ethical thing.

The raw foodists might hate my bringing in Berenstein because they believe that cooking food itself is bad (and Cousins gives a lot of research to that effect.) (And most raw foodists are vegan.) But both of these doctors will tell you that as a diabetic you cannot consume the starches, sweet fruits, sugar-free drinks and candies, coffee, etc that the American Diabetes Association recommends. Both will tell you there is big business profiteering on your diabetes. Both will tell you the standard medical approaches to diabetes care usually do more hard than good.

OK- the program is hard. Follow it only if you want to live a long healthy life.

As for not giving a specific program: he gives you formulas and patterns because then you can create endless menus and variety in your meals. He tells you which foods to eat, and which to avoid. He tells you how to juice-feast, four ways to get more greens, how to make green soups, how to make crackers and pates and wraps. He gives some recipes. There are tons of recipes online once you have these guidelines.

And- if your friends think this diet is too "extreme" then please consider that you deserve more support from the people you love. (My friends and family have given me complete support.)

This book is NOT an ad for his workshops. There are about 450 pages and only 10 describing the workshops. Those ten pages explain something that I think is very true- to live on a raw vegan diet, you need to learn about more than just food. (Honestly, to commit to curing your diabetes through any diet, one would probably need to learn about a lot more than food. It is a spiritual journey.)

[...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Cousens is my HERO!, February 19, 2008
Katryn Price (Occidental, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book 3 weeks ago and I devoured it. I was totally inspired to convert my kitchen to raw foods and within 5 days I was off my oral meds following Dr. Cousens protocol. 3 weeks later, my FBS's are reliably under 80 and I feel like I am 25 again. Plus I am LOVING the food! There are some good starter recipes, but I would also get Dr. C's other book which has more recipes.
This book is FULL of great information that I found both empowering and accurate. I work in alternative health and appreciate Dr. Cousen's sane approach- he is not just talking about raw foods, but about mitigating mycotoxins that create disease. I have not found other raw food authors who understand and/or address this aspect of the disease cycle and I believe it is critical to maintaining/reclaiming vibrant health.
Although converting to raw IS a commitment of time and can feel isolating because it seems extreme to some, the benefits are undeniable, the food is fabulous and I can't understand why anyone would NOT want to eat this way, unless of course, they are OK with being unhealthy for the rest of their lives, going from medication to medication, injecting, and ultimately suffering the downstream consequences of chronic disease, amputations, blindness, and more. I know- I watched my brother die of diabetes complications. For me, that was an unacceptable future and I am so grateful to have found a key to turning my course around.
I feel like someone just handed me my drug free, healthy future on a silver platter. And THAT is indeed delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pharmacist's perspective, April 7, 2009
I am a Pharmacist at a large medical clinic in northcentral Wisconsin. I make it a point to try and review new breakthroughs in medical treatment. Dr.Cousens book is full of great practical information for everyone who wants to live healthy. However, if you have depression, are pregnant, have infants, are overweight, have high blood pressure or cholesterol, or especially if you have diabetes and any symptoms that go with that disease, you need this book! It will open your eyes to the fact that your disease can be cured.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK, but save your $, January 19, 2008
I read through this book in two days. This book is definately geared toward type-2 diabetics. There is a lot of good information, and unlike a lot of other books its not just a marketing ploy for Cousen's retreats/products. The raw food diet does seem to restore healthy functioning, but I cannot see living "the culture of life" )as Cousens calls 80+% raw vegan) forever. I began eating 70-80% raw about 2 months after being diagnosed with type-1 (insulin dependent) diabetes and after just 1-week of eating this way my insulin needs dropped way down. You can buy the book if you want to- as I said, its informative... but living and eating 80+% raw is EXTREMELY difficult without A LOT of support.

**The book is OKAY, 3-stars means OKAY. I was eating raw before I read this book. But honestly, people shouldn't buy this book expecting an easy solution. They are going to need a ton of support from family, friends and their doctors in order to make the raw food diet work. I don't think that most type-2 diabetics have the strength/desire to live the culture of life without support (their poor SAD and lack of exercise is the reason they have diabetes in the first place). Cousen sites a study where people were offered $1000 to stop eating meat for a week- most declined the $. Cousen's approach is an ALL or NOTHING approach. I think that MOST people need more flexability than this solution offers.

The good information contained in this book was a rehashing of things I've read over and over elsewhere... if you haven't done much research, this is a good condensed version.

I do think that raw has an advantage over the early 1900 diabetes diet, but I don't think its the best or only solution. Did you know that before insulin was discovered, diabetics 'lived' on low-calorie, restricted carb diets? They didn't live very long after diagnosis... they died of starvation.

Eating raw I don't feel like I'm starving, my body is doing well, I take 1 unit of humalog for ~20g carbs and 5-7 units of Lispro daily. Before going raw, I was on 12-13 units of Lispro & 1:15 humalog:carbs. I've always been in decent shape, an okay weight and fairly active. My dr is not supportive of my decision to eat 80%+ raw, my husband accepts it (though I wouldn't say he goes out of his way to support me in it), most of my friends think I'm crazy because of how I eat. I'm willing to do what I need to do to take care of my body, regardless of these things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, January 22, 2008
I got this book the day it came out and read it cover to cover in a weekend. I'm now on my second read thru. In my opinion, it contains a lot of thoroughly researched information about diabetes and how it is becoming an epidemic for everyone. I don't have diabtes but I know lots a people who do. This book gives you steps to prevent and cure this disease. It also outlines the good and bad foods that will raise insulin levels and supplements to take that help with this regimine. The allopathic doctors don't have a clue on how to stop or prevent this diease but this book will tell you how to cure diabetes and stop or lower your meds within 30 days. Yes, following a raw food diet can be a challenge but it is do-able. Start slow and add to it everyday. It takes 21 days to change or create a habit.

There are lots of great raw food recipes in this book and if you buy his other book "Rainbow Green Life Food Cuisine" you could be on your way to stopping or preventing diabetes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic information, August 18, 2008
Great book of information that makes sense for a change. The medical profession makes more money if people do not know these priceless secrets. I am now on chapter five, my fasting blood sugar has dropped over one hundred points and I am not even into the preparation of foods.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly a tree of life retreat plug..., April 4, 2008
I have this book as well as rainbow cuisine. In my opinion- unless you really don't understand that eating raw can manage your diabetes- then get Rainbow Cuisine which has more recipes and less advertisements for his program "tree of life". Also, what is with the cooked food recipes for rice and beans at the end of this book? I am diabetic and a good way to get 200 and 300 sugars would be to eat rice and beans.

On the plus side- most raw people really push fruit and Gabriel is one of the first people who recommends a low glycemic green diet over an almost fruit only diet that I have seen so much of.

I would like to see a recipe book with a lot of low glycemic "green juice" recipes in it. So far, I can't find one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating Patterns for Highly Motivated People, June 20, 2010
This technical book offers helpful advice in reducing weight and blood sugar levels. On the other hand, Dr. Cousens' plan is extreme, expensive and confusing. As other reviewers noted, not many people could subsist on the Tree of Life program, at least not without help from the costly Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center. The book does include beneficial information, such as beanpod tea use and lists of essential foods, juices, herbs, vitamins and minerals. Take that information and practice as diligently as possible. Personally I find the book's rigid regimen near impossible to maintain, at least to the levels Dr. Cousens requires. I have found a more do-able diet/lifestyle approach by reading and following the free advice of David Mendosa, which can be found by googling his name. Mr. Mendosa's website is crammed full of useful information trying to achieve the same goals as Dr. Cousens' book, but is easier to understand and practice in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book !!!, October 27, 2008
This book is a beam of hope in a world that believes that diabetes has no cure.It is very well documented and researched and you get to better understand the terrible complications of diabetes. If you or a loved one has diabetes,it is definetely worth reading. The new paradigm that this author is bringing about is so inspiring: the shift in diet goes along with a shift of being. As the author says, it is about moving from a culture of death to a culture of life. I don't have diabetes but I found this book so inspiring to me. It brought hope and life within me. I can't wait to read his other books. I think his Tree of Life Center in Arizona is an amazing place for healing.

There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day+ Program
There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day+ Program by Gabriel Cousens (Paperback - January 8, 2008)
Used & New from: $3.08