Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

on January 20, 2010
The subtitle of this book states it is comprised of "compelling reports from those who have glimpsed the after-life." This is patently untrue. In fact, there are only TWO (2!) such reports (pages 52 and 69-70 for the curious). Other than those two accounts, all further quotes are from other writers -- the ones who have actually DONE the research. This is a pastiche of others' work, fluffed out with endless 24-point titles and 20-point subtitles and 18-point sub-sub-titles; further endless bulleted lists that give a pseudo-scientific appearance to the text which is otherwise anything but scientific; rather statements of the author's own personal beliefs and conclusions.

For example, let me quote from page 33:
"At the risk of giving away the ending before I even start, let me share the picture that I(italicized) have drawn from the dots:
*The human person is an irreducible union of matter and spirit.
*Upon death, the person continues to exist, albeit in an unnatural state.
*Depending on the choices made in this life, one spends eternity with God or in self-imposed separation from God.
*At some point, the soul of the person animates a body again, but one which is free of earthly imperfections and also capable of restoring you to the fullness of the person you were on earth (this last idea is a central tenet of Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and can only be justified on the basis of acceptance of a specific claim of divine revelation)."

In addition to the grammatical errors of the last point, I see no evidence in other NDE accounts of the reanimation of the body! In actuality, this text is about dissing "physicalists"("fundamaterialists", "relataivists," "naturalists," and New Age "reincarnationists" -- the last rather puzzling, considering his own above-stated philosophy.

Then the author departs from the subject matter entirely, with long, boring chapters on "universal testimony" -- citing beliefs of ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, China, Africa, Persia; then analyses of Judaism, Christianity (with long digressions on purgatory, intercession of the saints, and resurrection of the body), followed by a whole chapter on "visitations" -- Medjugorje, Kibeho, St. Faustina Kowalska -- I personally have stopped reading the book by now and am just skimming the voluminous headings, reading a paragraph here and there, finding that this book is little more than a summary of one man's personal opinion.

Bottom line? Save your money ... or spend it on other far more worthy books on the subject, such as Long's "Evidence of the After Life: The Science of NDEs" or many other truly scientific approaches to this tantalizing hypothesis.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2010
I heard these two authors speak on Coast to Coast last week. Roy Abraham Varghese introduced his new book and Raymond A. Moody wrote the foreword, as well as the Afterword.

To me this thorough and organized book is based on science and stems throughout recorded time with global recordings. The author list reports that reflect similarity even though the data is not related in time, religion and location.

There are recordings of the hereafter; heaven, hell and purgatory. The book lays all the information out for us to interpret.

I will copy part of a paragraph of the fourth message from Chapter 4 (The Hereafter Here and Now--Visions of Heaven, Hell, and the Grateful Dead).

"We fail the dead by forgetting about them. Life after death is not simply an individualistic affair. It is a state that affirms the solidarity of those who departed this world with their families, friends, and all other humans in the here-and-now."
on December 4, 2013
I bought this book hoping it would be similar to others that I've read relating to NDE's and the afterlife.
It seemed to start off OK, discussing the various thinking through the ages by people around the world, but as I read the book I got more and more uncomfortable with it - the writer's chief argument for life after death seemed to be that most religions have an afterlife in one form or another, so it must be true.

He mentioned the major religions but by the time I got to the 50% mark on my Kindle, I realised that instead of discussing actual NDEs, more and more space was being given to Christian thinking - Catholic thinking in particular. He crows about some Protestants who embrace certain parts of Catholic belief (especially on purgatory and saints) and contemptuously dismisses reincarnation and spiritualists.

I quickly realised the writer was out to prove the "truth" of Heaven, Fiery Hell, Purgatory, Jesus and Mother Mary according to Catholic dogma, and couldn't wade on through the rubbish from there (I even found the book insulting, which is often the feeling I get when I'm being preached at).
It reminds me of the book "Heaven Is For Real", written on behalf of a boy who nearly died on the operating table, by his father an evangelising fundamentalist Pastor.

I agree with the one & two-star reviews here.
on September 10, 2010
This book seeks to explore the concept of life after death from a scientific and historical perspective, but clearly states that it can't be proved scientifically or measured quantitatively. Varghese desires to go beyond what other authors and researchers have stated, from religious beliefs, anecdotes from near-death experiences, metaphysical speculation and communications from "the other side." Varghese reviews various researchers' works and provides pros and cons to concur with the concepts or debunk them. Renowned physician, researcher and author Dr. Raymond Moody provided both a foreword and an afterword to the book. In the end, Dr. Moody states that the book provides progress in a rational inquiry into the topic. Each reader will have to decide if the evidence is compelling. But in the end, we will all find out soon enough the answer to this eternal question.
-- Alice R. Berntson, New Connexion
on February 14, 2014
I hated it. As far as I recall, it mentions only three cases in detail, and is hugely, boringly, repetitious. And I am very favorably inclined to believe near death experiences. But all the repetitive blah blah blah of this book makes me wonder why anyone ever agreed to publish it. And the title is a lie, as it offers 'compelling reports.' So where are they? Not in this book.
on April 24, 2013
Lead me to read other books on the subject. Whilst I was always sure of a life hereafter and I had heard about similar experiences, I was never sure of how many there were, Led me to read a number of books by Dr Raymond Moody. Very well written
on January 9, 2010
There Is Life After Death: Compelling Reports From Those Who Have Glimpsed the After-Life comes from an expert on science-religion debates and blends eyewitness accounts with data from sources around the world and throughout history. It provides the basics for an average reader to understand a blend of science and eyewitness accounts, creating a spiritual survey perfect for new age and spirituality collections alike.
on November 29, 2013
The author does a good job of approaching this challenging topic with honesty on the books limitations while providing thought provoking infoformation to consider. I also like that the author dosen't soley rely on NDE's (Near Death Experiences) to support his position but considers NDE's as only one dot of many that can help provide an outline of a picture of life after death.
on December 17, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. As a person who reads some of the scientific journals on life after death and parapsychology I found this book to be extremely informative. Sure the author appraoched the subject from a somewhat religious viewpoint, but I did not have a problem with that, and was easily able to sift out the relevant information.
on February 9, 2014
This was easy to read, very interesting and well worth the investment for a book. I highly recommend this book for everyone out there wanting to know more about the death experience. It will calm your thoughts and make you want to know more.