Published on November 19, 2009 by D. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars engaging
Emberley, Rebecca. There Was An Old Monster! Orchard Books. 2009.

I can hear the words of the classic song of "There was an old lady Who Swallowed a Fly" compete for dominance in my head as I try to read the first verse of this amusing variant, "There was an old monster who swallowed a tick. I don't know why he swallowed the tick `cause it made him feel...
Published on November 18, 2009 by Kirsten G. Cutler

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one monster story that won't scare your preschooler, but rather will keep him or her calling for more!, November 19, 2009
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
The big wide-eyed monster's eyes got even wider when he swallowed a tick. YUK! It made him just plain old sick. Well, he decided he would swallow some ants to try to catch that tick, but it didn't help one iota. The only thing that did was "had him dancing in his pants" because ants make you do those sorts of things. Next he tried swallowing a lizard to catch the ants. Mistake. He still felt sick. He tried a bat, a jackal, and a bear. Was anything the monster swallowed going to make him feel better?

"There was an old monster
who swallowed a tick.
I don't know why he swallowed the tick
`cause it made him feel sick."

This is one monster story that won't scare your preschooler, but rather will keep him or her calling for more. The artwork is extremely vibrant and delightful. The cumulative story in rhyme is reminiscent of "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" and will get your preschooler giggling and asking for more. I downloaded the song on the Scholastic site. It was more like a rhythmical recitation than a "song," but it is utterly adorable and catchy. Scritchy-scratch, scritch, scritchy-scratch . . . believe me, you're going to wear the pages reading this one over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st Book Review!, May 29, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
There was an old monster who ate a tick and a lot more things. At the end of the story a tiger eats him. I like the pictures. I like the book. I would probably like to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun book even for babies, July 26, 2011
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
My baby loves this book, the sing song and colors keep him intereested and it's a lot better than the old version with the old lady (who swallowed a fly)- which personally creeps me out.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, June 7, 2011
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
My kids and I LOVE this book! It's rhythm and rhyming are amazing - and the kids picked up the words after the first reading - especially about the ants!

5.0 out of 5 stars My students love it!, December 23, 2009
FushiaPeony (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
I work as a speech-pathologist in an elementary school, with students pre-school - Grade 5. This book is a hit with my older students. Everyone has heard of "The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed the Fly," and therefore they already know the basic format of the book. There are many ways to use this book - including: questions about sequencing of events and predicting what will happen next. I will be using this book a lot. The kids especially loved hearing it at Halloween time, when monsters are a hot topic of conversation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 21, 2014
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
My daughter loves this book. The colors are great. The book arrived with slight damage to the paper cover, but I'm not too worried about it as my daughter will do more damage to it. The pages are surprisingly durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was fun to read with my kids., November 13, 2013
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
Fun book based on There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. The kids loved it. Found free printables to go with it on making learning fun dot com. We used the monster sheets to make our own monster books. Very cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN, October 27, 2013
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
We LOVE this "twisted" version of the Old Lady. What a great addition to our Halloween collection. Pair it with other books by this author and you have reading and possible activities for a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the other "old lady" books, September 14, 2012
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read to my students in my music class and they all loved it and have asked for it again and again. You can download the audio version for free if you want to sing along and you don't have a music teacher handy. The animals the monster eats are all fairly funny (a jackel, a hoard of ants that go scritichy scratch) and at the end instead of the monster dying or vomiting everything up he finds himself eaten by the Lion he's going to eat next something my students found hilarious (we all decided that the ants would still be bothering the monster).

5.0 out of 5 stars A whimsical rhyme with a downloadable sing-along song, September 19, 2009
This review is from: There Was An Old Monster! (Hardcover)
Rebecca, Adrian and Ed Emberley's THERE WAS AN OLD MONSTER! is a whimsical rhyme with a downloadable sing-along song telling of an old monster who swallows a tick and begins to feel sick. He also swallows some ants and dances in his pants, and more . Perfect for read-aloud sound effects!

There Was An Old Monster!
There Was An Old Monster! by Rebecca Emberley (Hardcover - July 1, 2009)
$17.99 $12.75