5.0 out of 5 stars Gateway to a New Era in Yoakam's Music, July 9, 2003
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
When I first bought this album, I didn't really care for it. It just didn't sound right. Still, I persisted in listening to it and I finally realized that this was one of the best albums I had ever listened to. "If There Was a Way" shows us that Dwight is paving a new trail once again. Though the honky-tonk sound is still there, this disc leans toward a more raw, hardened sound hinted at in the previous "Buenas Noches From a Lonely Room." This album isn't as dark, however. "Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose" is great, hands down. "It Only Hurts Me When I Cry" is too. "Dangerous Man" and "Takes A Lot To Rock You" gives us a taste of the rockier edge that Dwight Yoakam and Pete Anderson seem to be leaning to on this album. Other great songs include "The Distance Between You and Me," "You're the One" and "The Heart That You Own." This is a good album to get if you want a taste of both the younger, more rockabilly sound of Dwight and the older, more experimental sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece from Dwight, April 23, 2004
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
One of the signs of a truly great album is that most of the tracks could be considered for single release - this is one such album. Dwight demonstrates that he can rock hard but he also includes some outstanding ballads. He wrote or co-wrote most of the songs. Although Dwight has shown a liking for recording covers as well as originals in his career, there is only one cover here.
The country hits were Turn it on turn me up turn me loose (a brilliant up-tempo song), You're the one (a nice love song), It only hurts when I cry (co-written with Roger Miller who is famous for King of the road), The heart that you own (an aching ballad) and Nothing's changed here. The first four make up the first four tracks on his greatest hits collection, Last chance for 1,000 years but Nothing's changed here is omitted.
Apart from the hits (which aren't necessarily the best songs here), some of the highlights for me are Sad sad music (another aching ballad), Since I started drinking again (with a hint of bluegrass), Send a message to my heart (a duet with Patty Loveless that I really expected to be released as a single) and Let's work together (a cover of the blues-rock classic that became a huge hit for Canned heat). And if you play this album and find that your favorite song is one I haven't mentioned, that won't surprise me at all, such is the quality of this album.
If you enjoy any of Dwight's music, you'll surely love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, March 29, 2006
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
I have varied tastes, and I can go from opera to country music, and like them both. "Honky Tonk" country is usually not my favorite - but I love this album. If you are a fan, this is one of Dwight's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL COUNTRY AND I AGREE A TRUE MASTERPIECE!!, October 9, 2005
ariana (indianpolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
Man what a CD!! People like Reba, Garth, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith and most of today's "make believe" country artists should take a lesson from Dwight Yoakum. This CD is perfection all the way!! Everything from ROckabilly, to shuffles, to waltzes, to some of the most beautiful ballads...all done to tantalizing perfection. My favorites: "The Heart that You Own", "Nothing's Changed Here", "It Only Hurts Me When I Cry", "You're the ONe", "Sad, Sad Music" and the crowning glory of the CD..."Send a Message to My Heart" an incredible duet with the incomparable Patty Loveless whose voice blends with Dwight's perfecty on a song, which if marketed properly, would and should be a country classic!!! You won't find pop/crossover stuff here...this is "real" country and a true masterpiece!!! Bravo!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece - I agree with everybody else, March 20, 2006
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
If "Guitars & Cadillacs" were on this DY album it would be my favorite of his. Still, I think it's his best one overall. In my opinion "Heart That You Own" is the 2d best country song I'ver ever heard, next to the immortal George's "Mr. Fool". Since Mr. Fool was done in the late '50's, I believe, that would make "Heart That You Own" the greatest country song of the last 40 or so years. DY is the most important country artist of the past 20 years. I'll vote for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dancing, March 9, 2012
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
This album is one of Dwight Yoakam's best dancing albums. This is the perfect county album to dance to. This is the type of album that should be playing at the bar with a dance floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock solid album that never lets up., July 24, 2003
Jim Toms (W. Frankfort, IL (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
DY shows great range on this album and I think this was the first time he showed he was a true musician: the substance was now unquestionably matching the style. Don't get me wrong. I love *Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc.*, and *Hillbilly Deluxe* is also a nice ride, but neither has the overall range of *If There Was a Way*.
The opening track, "The Distance Between You and Me" is great country fare, as are "Nothing's Changed Here", "It Only Hurts When I Cry", and "I Don't Need It Done". Naturally, some songs are stronger than others and "Send a Message to My Heart" and "Let's Work Together" don't thrill me like the others do, although there is no bad song in the bunch here.
The highest quality material here include "Sad, Sad Music", "Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose", a somewhat popish "Dangerous Man", and "Since I Started Drinkin' Again", which is just great old-fashioned bluegrass. In my opinion, this was DY's first truly great album (I concede that I haven't yet heard *Buenos Noches from a Lonely Room*) and he would get even better (yes, it's hard to imagine) with the great *This Time*.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is a Classic Album!, June 1, 2008
B. Woodley (Fairfax, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
This album features Dwight's wonderful voice, excellent musicianship and production and a nice variety of songs. Best song to me is "It Only Hurts When I Cry," co-written with Roger Miller. I also love everything else except perhaps the last track, "Let's Work Together." That's the only one that's less than stellar for me. The rest are superb, and they make this album a true classic. To me this means most people would like it throughout the years no matter what music they tend to ordinarily listen to. Even if they "hate" country music, they'd have to like this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars That's My Dwighty!, November 25, 2001
Carissa (Indio, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
This is such a beautiful c.d by Dwight Yoakam. "Nothing's Changed Here" is so heartbreaking yet it's beautiful. And that's what Dwight does, he writes sad songs and sings them with such meaning. He is the most talented singer out there."You're The One" is so beautiful it'll bring tears to your eyes. If your a Dwight fan, you know what I'm talking about. He has an unmistakable voice and it comes out so good in this c.d! I love this c.d.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dwight's best record., November 10, 1998
This review is from: If There Was a Way (Audio CD)
This release is my favorite of Dwight Yoakam. He is predictably sad or hurt, which is what I want from Dwight. Sometimes spiteful, sometimes drunk, sometimes just in pain, he always manages to entertain. Buy this CD if you are even slightly tempted. It will be one of your favorites in good times or bad.

If There Was a Way
If There Was a Way by Dwight Yoakam (Audio CD - 1990)