Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

The first chapter starts out with a scene that could be in any "Bridezilla" TV reality show. You know like the ones on TLC you say you won't watch and somehow get sucked into. But the premise of the book is that each woman in a group of over-30 friends, pulls the "wrong" cake charm and their fortunes start coming true, so I knew that the bride/wedding had to be a related scene in the story. I see Bridezilla on TV way too much already.

Chapter 2, and then the fun begins. We get to learn each woman's situation--Nic,Seema and Mel--and how she sees her friends' lives, too. It's true to life. After all, don't we ladies think we know what's really going on in other people's lives (and what they should do)? Of course, we do! And that attitude is what messes up the plan of pre-picked cake charms and fortunes for the ladies.

I prefer not be redundant by writing the storyline in my reviews, so I'll leave that to other reviewers. When I got to the part when the ladies pull out the cake charms, the results made me laugh out loud. It's also shows that Gruenenfelder comes from a screenwriter's background, with twists and turns and surprise scenes that we've come to expect in a movie or modern TV show or situation comedy.

The author wrote chapters from each characters POV in the first person "I." The reader's POV switches from seeing someone through another friend's eye, to hearing what she's thinking and interpreting about her life and her friend's lives in another chapter.

It's a fascinating perspective as a reader to get in and out of all the characters' head as the story unfolds. I commend Kim Gruenenfelder on her talent and ability to make this work so perfectly in this book. It's not awkward or confusing, and I found the change in POV made the story more interesting as it unfolded.

"There's a Cake in My Future" itself is poignant, funny, and authentic to 30-something women at different stages of NEW in their lives. I feel like I got to know each lady, her hopes and frustrations and temptations. The men in the book aren't really like men I've known in relationships (even at the early stages)except for one...I would hope ladies are lucky to have men like Jason, Scott and Daniel at some point in their lives. If someone is looking for a Mr. Right, then maybe fiction can lend itself to real life on some level.

I've never read this author before and I tend to read more memoir/biography, quirky books and non-fiction titles, over what could potentially be "fluffy" chicklit. I had no need to worry...

After being tired from all the holiday rush and needing a fun book to relax, "There's Cake in My Future" didn't "bomb" and turned out to be a sweet, unexpected treat!

NOTE: I read the Kindle version.

I saw this book in Target while Christmas Shopping (there's something about the cover in person that attracts you). I read the back cover in the store....and almost bought it at $14.99. But I thought, "Hey I can buy this on my Kindle for less!" (The marvelous thing about having a Kindle--it pays for itself over and over) And at $9.99 for the Kindle book, it's more than I normally pay. But once I got to the last 2 pages in the Kindle sample the, "What's going to happen next" got me (good cliffhanger!), and I didn't resist the Buy button.
on July 11, 2013
I love the writing of Kim. This was as entertaining and heartfelt as her other books..."Total Waste of Makeup", etc. Anyone dealing with wedding blahs will perk them up. This reminds us all that we all have crazy families, amazing friends, and situations in life that you didn't sign up for but somehow end up in them. It's life with a lot of humor. Enjoy
on December 4, 2011
First off, I must say I adore the premise. I love the idea of a cake pull (never heard of this before) and I thought it was such a great setup for an ensemble cast, if you will. However, as much as I loved the idea, I really didn't enjoy the execution.

We read There's Cake in my Future for our chick lit book club and I'm afraid none of the six of us actually liked the book. The main problem we had was that none of us really liked the characters. Nic - although the least popular in my book club due to her spinelessness - was actually the only one I sort of liked. Seema and Mel IMO were far too catty and mean for me to actually want to root for them.
on February 6, 2014
This book was extremely disappointing and poorly written. Each character, male and female alike, were written in the same voice. None of the characters were believable, or likeable, and spent the entire book complaining. I enjoy light, chick-friendly books and some fluffy romance books very much, but this was rather ...vapid. Nicole's storyline had the most realistic aspects to it, and the most potential. The others were ridiculous at some points. The original concept (cake pulls, potential for hilarity and disaster to ensue) was an interesting idea but failed miserably in this book.
on December 31, 2010
Funny, laughed out loud, touching, witty - I loved this book. Have never read this author before but immediately downloaded her other books on my kindle. I rarely read fiction but was sick in bed and wanted some entertainment. Boy did I pick good! Kim - thanks! I am starting another of your books now.
on September 8, 2015
There's Cake in My Future was "just okay." I was optimistic for a fun, flirty, and quick read for the summer but I was strangely disappointed when I received just that. This book fell flat in my opinion, and just didn't seem to flow as well as it could have. I loved the concept of the magical cake pull, determining the fates of several friends but I felt myself getting angry with the characters or not connecting with them at all. I felt like each character was a bit spoiled, and that the book, though a quick read, was almost unenjoyable at times. It had a nice ending, and as I mentioned before a good storyline but it just didn't stand out or work in a lot of ways. I've never read a book by Kim Gruenenfelder, and this came up as a "Recommended For You" but I semi wish it hadn't. I typically pass on books to friends, and family even if they are just okay but I haven't with this. I felt like it was just overall disappointing, and really "just okay."
on April 14, 2014
I actually downloaded an excerpt of this book on my Kindle a long time ago. After reading the excerpt, I decided not to buy it because I didn't think I was in the right mood to appreciate it. But I kept it on my to read list and in the back of my mind.

Here were my life circumstances at the end of March:
(1) I had just spent the month of March working nights and weekends on the proposal for my project team's follow-on contract. We had just turned the proposal in, so I finally had a little more free time to read and I was definitely in the mood for something light-hearted with simple sentence structures.

(2) I was gearing up to be a bridesmaid in two weddings, one on April 4 and one on April 26.

I'm pretty sure that I picked the absolutely perfect moment in my life to read this novel. I'm glad I did so. This book is one that had me nodding my head, because I could recognize either myself or one of my friends in almost all the situations in this book. Almost anyone can relate to the dismay of being friends with someone who flirts with you incessantly but won't make the moves on you, or an ex who treated you like s*** but is now enraged that you would be moving on with your life. We've all got the artist friend who doesn't wake up before noon, the friend who will ruin her bridesmaid dress trying to bust down the door with a fire extinguisher, and the jerk who's taking advantage of your best friend.

Justin and I read a few sections of this book aloud to each other, and Justin actually enjoyed this a lot, which really surprised me because this is not AT ALL the sort of book he reads (right now he's reading a book called On Combat -- that's the sort of stuff he typically reads). When I finished the book (by reading silently to myself), he wanted to know what happened to all of the characters. We also had several conversations where we likened the characters to our friends in real life. He would say "You know who she reminds me of?" and I could usually guess who he was thinking of on my first guess.

If there's one thing I want to emphasize, it's that you should really make sure you're in the proper mood to enjoy this book when you read it. It's not heart-wrenching, it doesn't speak to the human condition or profoundly change your view of the world. It's light-hearted. But if you're looking for a light-hearted book, this is one of the best that I've come across.
on January 28, 2014
This is my first book by Kim Gruenenfelder. In fact when I woke up this morning I'd never heard of her. I stumbled on this book, thought the title was intriguing and downloaded the sample. What a perfect book to read on a day off and it's 11 below zero outside. When you start a book and you're laughing out loud while reading the sample the book becomes a must buy.

I loved Nic, Seema and Mel. Their friendship rang true to me and I loved how they had become their own little family. They were very supportive of each other but didn't hesitate to tell the truth when it was called for.

Kim Gruenenfelder writes so well that I could almost picture it when Mel was in Home Depot in new jeans and a red top trying to meet someone new. This after Googling "How to meet a man" and getting a million hits! Or Seema in her aquamarine bridesmaid dress trying to break down the door of the bathroom that Nic (the bride) has locked herself in. With a fire extinguisher that goes off and ends up all over her dress. Or Nic who can't find room in her king size bed because her five year old stepdaughter has managed to take over the whole bed by sleeping in such a way as to resemble an asterisk.

There are really no surprises in this book but that's okay. To me it was all about the women, their first person accounts and the terrific writing. While the book seems to end rather abruptly, there is a sequel called "Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink" which is most definitely in my future.

A very enjoyable book and a nice addition to the chick-lit genre.

MUST READ!
on June 16, 2013
There's Cake in My Future is a story about friendship and life and changes, all things that can draw an audience but what I really liked about this book is the way the story was told.

Here's the back blurb:

Listening to her friends' latests travails in love, parenting and careers, superstitious bride-to-be Nic believes she has the perfect recipe for everyone's happiness: a bridal shower "cake pull" in which each ribboned silver charm planted in the cake will bring its recipient the magical assistance she needs to change her destiny. Mel, still ringless after dating the same man for six years, should get the engagement ring charm. The red hot chili pepper would be perfect for Seema, who is in love with her best male friend, Scott, but can't seem to make their relationship more than platonic. And recently laid-off journalist Nic wants the shovel, which symbolizes hard work, to help her get her career back on track. Nic does everything she can to control who gets which silver keepsake - as well as the future it represents. But when the charmed cake is mysteriously shifted from the place settings Nic arranged around it, no one gets the charm she chose for them. And when the other party guests' fortunes begin coming true, Mel, Seema and Nic can't help but wonder . . . is the cake trying to tell them something?

As I said, the base of the story is friendship but situations around the charms brings a lot of comedy to the story. Nic is the most upset with the charm she got. Seema tries to convince her that there's nothing to the charms and she has nothing to worry about, all the while she's freaking out over the charm she got because goodness knows it's the LAST charm she'd choose for herself. Meanwhile, while Mel doesn't give a lot of credit to the cake pull charms, she's doing everything in her power to make hers come true (which is hysterical!).

The story is told in first person perspective from the viewpoint of each of the main characters (Nic, Mel and Seema) in alternating chapters, so you're able to really get to know the characters. It's basically a story about love, friendship and the life that happens while you're busy making other plans (who can't relate to that?).

I highly recommend this book and was excited to see that it has a follow up book coming out. I've already pre-ordered it. :)
on July 6, 2013
Three friends get together at a bridal shower, where the bride, Nicole (Nic) has set up a cake pull with charms that will fit the desires of each participant. For her friend Mel, she plans the ring as she has been waiting for her long-term boyfriend to ask her to marry him, for her friend Seema she plans the chili pepper to give her a hot romance with her friend with whom she is secretly in love, and for herself, she picks the shovel to get her journalism career back on track after being laid off. However, something goes wrong with the positioning of the cake, and everyone gets a different charm than they expected, with Nic getting the baby carriage, Seema getting the shovel, and Mel getting the chili pepper. When some of the other party-goers charms start coming true, the friends become very concerned that their lives are about to be turned upside down. The book follows their lives as their relationships change dramatically, from broken romances, combined families, and self-revelation. Each chapter is told from one of the friend's point of view. This is a light, fluffy, chick-lit style book. The idea was interesting, but the characters can be a bit self absorbed and annoying at times. This is a light, fluffy, chick-lit style book.