Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 23, 2013
Although I enjoyed parts, I thought the story was a bit too negative. This is my fourth child and I understand that a big sibling may have negative feelings about a new baby but I just thought this book had a little too much of it. It was the line where the big brother says, "Then the baby might get eaten by a tiger." that made me decide that this book was not for us. It does have beautiful pictures though.
on September 6, 2013
That's an actual line from this book, along with "Mrs. Anderson's baby threw up all over their new carpet". While it's title is a sweet sentiment and it's beautifully illustrated, this might be the worst "big sibling" book on the market. We don't recommend it unless you want to practice your creativity by changing the words to kind ideas about having a younger sibling.
on September 9, 2013
We actually bought this on accident. We had 2 books up and I added the wrong one to the cart.

Anyway, I didn't like the book at all. Here is why:
*No father figure in the book. This may be OK for some people.
*At one point, the little boy in the book even asked his mom: "Why do we have to have a baby, can't it just go away?", and the mom doesn't talk to him about the joys it will bring to the family, or that a baby is a good thing.
*All it is is the boy whining and upset that he doesn't want a sibling. I expected at the end that it was this joyous event that the baby came and the little boy was happy. They don't even say if the baby was a boy or girl.

This is a book about a self-absorbed child wondering what the coming baby will be when it grows up, and whining about the baby. It doesn't teach or explain anything.
on May 18, 2015
Very charming book, with delightfully art deco artwork. A little bit awkward to read in the modern era when the gender of the baby is known so early, but I just read "the baby" as "your sister" when I read it to my son, and skip over the parts where we wonder if it's going to be a boy or a girl.
on September 9, 2014
Really cute book! Bought it for my 2 year old son once we found out we were expecting our 2nd and we have continued to read it once his baby brother arrived. This is one of my toddlers favorites. He loves this illustrations!
on February 24, 2015
I was given this book as a gift, our cover is different but the pictures and story are the same. As other reviewers have said, the book is so negative! There is definitely something to be said for validating and soothing a child's fears about a new sibling, but this book doesn't do that. In my opinion, all it does is plant negative thoughts about the baby and what to expect in the child's mind. When we read this book to my son, we did not read most of the words as they are. Instead, we would read it like "Maybe you and the baby can be doctors! Here is the baby taking care of his teddy bear." etc. Also, there is no father in the book. I have no problem with single mothers but it wasn't clear to me whether that was intentional. This book does nothing to prepare a child for having a new baby in the home or being a big sibling. This book gets two stars instead of one because the illustrations are nice and we were able to adapt. My son still pulls it off the shelf once in a while. I also liked seeing mom's belly grow through the seasons, especially since our second baby was born in the fall just like in the book. We really preferred "My New Baby" by Rachel Fuller and also "The New Baby" by Mercer Mayer.
What a precious story. If your family is preparing to introduce a new baby into your lives, I believe the context of this book will be a great way to open up a discussion about the new baby.

In the story you will 'hear" the brother's comments about what he thinks about as the day draws closer and closer to his new sibling arriving. You will see how the big brother's imagination takes off in many directions as he and his mom have discussions. He shows his curiosity.

The author's sensitivity to the issue of a new sibling is evident as you proceed through the story. I love the last page in this book. As the older brother and grandpa are visiting the baby in the hospital , they have a discussion. The little boy says: we're going to love the baby, aren't we?

*I received this for review - all opinions are my own*
on December 11, 2010
A mother tells her son that they are going to have a baby. As they travel across town, they dream about the types of things the baby will do. Will the baby be a chef, a gardener or a sailor? Or even possibly a doctor? The little boy dreams of the day when the baby will come, only to go to the hospital with his granddad when the baby arrives. This is a terrific picture book for children ages 3-6 who are waiting to have a baby.
on November 11, 2013
This book showed up on a lot of book lists for soon-to-be big siblings. No. The focus of the book is imagining what job the baby will one day have. There isn't much about the boy's feelings except for a few negative thoughts ("Do we really need a baby?" and "Maybe a tiger will eat it,") but they are not the focus of the book either. In fact, the mother has no response to either one, so they just seem like random sentences that didn't belong in the book. My 2YO didn't like this book because she likes to look at pictures of families taking care of a baby - these pictures were of a baby dressed in uniforms for different professions and cooking, painting, counting money, etc. She was also confused about how each 2 page spread of the baby doing a job was followed by the pregnant mother and son imagining another job. She kept asking, "Where's the baby?" because she didn't get that the pictures were just the boy's imagination. The worst part was the ending. While the words finally became positive ("We're going to love the baby,") the final picture showed the boy and Grandad walking toward the hospital door with presents, and that was it. My daughter was left with her mouth hanging open, and again asking,"Where's the baby?" This book is just not about having a new baby. It would be more useful if you're talking about different professions.
on July 8, 2013
I loved this book. It shows sensitivity, wit, humour and the illustrations are magnificent. This is the first ever collaboration between two greats from the world of children's literature. The text by John Burningham walks us through six months or so of a loving mother telling her son that a new sibling is on the way. During this gestation period they talk of when the baby will arrive, what the baby might be when he/she grows up and these discussions strengthen the already existing bond between them. The mother's words are captured in pale blue while the little boy's words are in dark blue. The mother's ideas prompt her little boy to imagine what the future might be like. Their ponderings are captured by comical comic-book-like illustrations. Many precious discussions occur between the two, and when the baby finally does arrive the little boy boards a bus with his grandfather to go to the hospital to meet his new sibling. His final words to his Grandpa as he is walking towards his mother's hospital room are, "Grandad, the baby will be our baby." "We're going to love the baby, aren't we?" This book is highly recommended and represents children's literature at its best.