Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 23, 2001
My grandfather once told me that when he was a boy, schools took field trips to the local slaughterhouse. There, the children saw how the food they ate was turned, violently, from a frolicking lamb or cow into tender vittles. Today we've become so separated from our means of survival that most of us can't even fathom the life-and-death struggles that are going on around us every day.
With characteristic candor and capability, Gary Larson takes us on his own version of the slaughterhouse fieldtrip, reminding us of the cutthroat, utilitarian, and utterly unromantic reality of survival in this world. All the while, he helps that bitter pill slide down by coating it with a healthy dose of belly laughs-of the kind that used to make us spit up our coffee when we read The Far Side in the morning paper.
But humans are not the focus of this long-awaited Larson gem (though the main characters are hilariously anthropomorphized-right down to the father "smoking" a pipe filled with dirt). The food being consumed here is not meat but soil, and the young protagonist, an earthworm with adolescent angst, must come to terms with his own role in nature.
With a Zen-like pragmatism and a confidence that comes from his biological background, Larson challenges us to put our species pride aside, and to enjoy this natural world for what it is, not for what we want it to be.
My wife is an elementary school teacher, and I discovered this book on one of the science shelves in her classroom, near the rotting pumpkin and the ant farm. It's a great teaching tool for children, but I would recommend it for students of all ages.
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2005
Off-the-wall cartoonist/satirist/humorist Gary Larson's "There's a Hair in My Dirt! A Worm's Story" is as effective a life science text as any that might be in a middle school or high school classroom today. Not only does Larson provide some biological facts but he does it in such an entertaining manner that the reader, especially the young one, may not realize that he/she is learning something. Also, the illustrations require some close scrutiny for many of the jokes lie in the remote corners of the pages.

For those of us that claim to be concerned for the environment, this book turns some preconceptions topsy-turvy.

As an educator, I just can imagine what Larson could do to ignite the language arts, math, and the social studies.

We need more tales of "Harriet" in public and private schools!

He could work wonders for the classroom!
on September 3, 1999
We bought this book at the Tourist Information Center at Pt. Reyes in Northern California. It was among books about the ocean, lighthouses, scenic spots in that area, and science. My husband, being a devout Gary Larson fan, had to have it. I'm not a fan but I am a grandma to 5 kids from 10 to 1, so it seemed like a cute book they would like to have read to them, or read themselves. It is such a delightful story as well as being educational. The illustrations are great! We immediately began counting all the people we know who would also enjoy it, adults and kids alike. It will be something we buy in bulk this Christmas. Try it, you'll like it!
on September 15, 1999
Gary Larson has wrote a masterpiece!! This is his best work yet. Not only is it delightfully entertaining, it's educational. The book "There's a Hair In My Dirt!," has all the beautiful illustrations we are used to of his. I recommend this book to everyone who loves nature, or is a fan of Gary Larson's brilliant work. This is the best book Iv'e ever read, you'll never be able to stop laughing!!
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2007
This parody of a children's story features a worm family, a young maiden and Gary Larson's twisted sense of humor and love of science. The illustrations are great, filled with little "Far Side" scenes as well as a larger storyline. If you are a fan of "Far Side" you know that Larson is a master of one panel, one-liner jokes. He can also use his twisted sense of humor and love of science in a larger, ongoing plot as well.

Be prepared - this is a quick read. It took me about 15 minutes. Also, it looks like a little kid's book (K-3), but it is not. There are language and thematic issues that you should be aware of before handing it to your first-grader. On the other hand, your middle schooler will love it!
on September 5, 2004
I have read this book to my students and they are still laughing and scientifically informed. I hope Mr. Larson continues to write such wonderful books. Thank you, Gary!
on May 17, 1999
This extremely insightful and riotously funny book is written on multiple levels, and it works for children aged five through 105. Larson hits the mark when we points out that "loving nature is not the same as understanding nature." Though this story is dressed up in a children's picture book format, it contains poignant lessons for children, professional scientists and teachers, and the general population. Be sure to read the introduction by E.O. Wilson. A grand book through and through.
on January 4, 2013
My son, Mr. Reality, loves this book. It is very funny -- created by Gary Larson, it looks at the circle of life. It uses good-old Far Side comedy (and irony) to explain the facts of life-and-death to any audience.
on December 22, 2007
I know this is marketed as a "young adult" book, and certainly my 7th-grade daughter loved it. I have to say, though, that I was laughing out loud on most pages! The story format allows Larson to develop a much deeper and more subtle level of humor than in a single-panel Far Side cartoon. Throughout it all, Larson delivers a valuable lesson in forest ecology, showing how much of what we romaticize or demonize about forest animals is wrong.

Despite the appearance, this is not a children's book. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 10, and even then it depends on the kid. There's some language that'll go over the head of many kids. Also, there's a lot of death, both animal and human. (While I thought the bear bringing tartar sauce to where his compatriots had felled a fisherman was funny, some kids might be upset. Heck, some kids might be upset by the remains of the picnicking bugs that the dragonflies ate.)

This is a relatively short book, but it's worth taking time to thoroughly look at each picture. Many of them contain a lot of visual gags that are easy to miss if you whip through too quickly. An adult can still do a thorough perusal of the book in under an hour, but it'll be a mightily entertaining hour.
on June 19, 2013
I use this book for my students in my biology class during our ecology unit. Other teachers have done the same and edit a few words, so make sure you read it thoroughly beforehand and think about the types of students you have.

I'm excited to use this with my own children one day, funny stuff but also accurate.