5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to space for young children
Published on October 25, 2004 by peachyqueen27

3.0 out of 5 stars It Could Be Better
Published on October 23, 2007 by Hubert I. Flomenhoft

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to space for young children, October 25, 2004
This review is from: There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) (Hardcover)
This is the first of this series that I purchased and I was so surprised. I had been looking for books that would introduce science concepts to children under 4, and thankfully, this series does it. I do not think all of the books are equal with their rhyming style, but this is one of the best ones. This book introduces each of the planets, some constellations, the moon and the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, November 21, 2003
Tonya Cabral (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
My 4 year old LOVES this book. It presents accurate information about the planets in a simplified, fun way that young readers (and parents, too) enjoy. If your budding astronomer or astronaut is looking for simple, fun, colorful books about space, this is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, October 17, 2001
By A Customer
I cannot say how impressed I am with The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library, they truly are wonderful books. There's No Place Like Space! is fun to read and helps children understand space and our solar system in a fun rhythmic way. My son loves this book and has shared it with his pre-school class with high praises from his teachers. The information in this book will give a young child a good base of knowledge for future learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great into to our solar system!, April 15, 2005
My little one REALLY likes this book. It has detailed explanations for each planet (Pluto has icicles hanging from it), and so on. Thing one and two are back and trying to get into trouble again, but not too badly. If you're looking for Seuss rhyming, well, this one doesn't do that great of a job, but when you're dealing with a particular subject matter like this book, that could be a little difficult. This is really a great book for starting teaching about science and it's very palatable and easy to understand. I didn't care much for the new adaptations of the illustrations, but then again, I really like the traditional drawings of the characters by Dr. Seuss. Thing One and Two look pretty different, as do the children. Other than that, it's pretty good and better drawn in many places. I highly recommend this book - you certainly won't be sorry you purchased this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by both young and old alike, March 25, 2000
By A Customer
This book is wonderful! I feel that any time a book sparks the interest for young people it deserves high praise. My daughter enjoys all of the books in the Dr. Suess Learning Library Series, but especially this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and educational read. . ., September 25, 2004
Librarian (Washington State) - See all my reviews
Although these books are not written by Dr. Suess, they follow his rhyming format fairly well and use the well known characters of: Cat-in-the-Hat, Thing 1 and Thing 2, and Sally and Dick. Since most kids are familiar with Cat in the Hat, the use of these characters to teach non-fiction works well.

There's No Place Like Space covers all the planets in our Solar System, the moon, and touches on the constellations. The information on the planets is brief, think School House Rocks Interplanet Janet, since about the same amount of information is provided here. The book is great for introducing young children to the concepts of planets and the solar system, and is enjoyed by the children I read it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Could Be Better, October 23, 2007
The concept of this learning book is fine and it is a good book to introduce young children to space. I read it to my 4 1/2-year-old granddaughter and she enjoyed it. However, about half of the poems could have been much better. They lacked proper poetic cadence. A few seemed very ordinary. The publisher surely should have asked the writer to improve them. The statement that the spinning Earth will never slow down is technically incorrect. That's a fine point, but it would have been easy to present the idea correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER book for a preschool class, October 6, 2006
I had to go to the bookstore last night to purchase a new book to read to the preschool class I teach. I can say without a doubt this was enjoyed by ALL the children. SO easy to read and accurate too :) They all enjoyed it and I am VERY happy to add this to my book collection!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too simple for my 3 & 4 year old, December 3, 2012
We home school and are currently learning about the solar system. My children are really into gathering a lot of information through songs, crafts, posters, videos, etc. I thought this book would be a great addition to our library of learning especially since they like to watch Cat in the Hat on PBS. However I was so disappointed that the book contained such simplistic facts about each planet which added nothing to their knowledge or answers to their many 'whys'. They were not that interested to read it and I doubt I'll read it to them much as a story book although it may be good practice for them as they want to read themselves as the words are simple to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning is fun with the Cat in the Hat., October 3, 2010
This book is written in a very kid-friendly and familiar manner. The rhymes are actually mnemonics which assist in learning about our solar system. Information is accurate in that Pluto is no longer included as a planet. Children learn facts about each of the eight planets, plus several constellations, our moon and the sun. The book itself is made of durable, high quality material and should last through many, many readings.

$8.99 $7.64