5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!
Published on September 28, 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't have bought it had I read it before
I'm a Dr. Seuss fan, but I wouldn't have purchased this book had I read it previously. The tongue-twisters made my son smile - I think he enjoyed watching me struggle! - (my daughter remained straight-faced) but the nonsense words used seemed a bıt overkill (not in an enjoyable way). I was a bit disappointed.

Months later . . . my children like this book...
Published 14 months ago by Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!, September 28, 1997
By A Customer
I can remember the first time I read this was when I was 8 years old. I was in the waiting room at the dentist's office. The whole time I was in the dentist's chair all I could think of was that wocket in the pocket, and I still to this day remember it. I am now 27 years old, but contrary to popular opinion, I don't think anyone is too old to enjoy Dr. Seuss. He is a legend that will be in my family forever. I hope that one day I have kids so I can share the wonderful imagination of Dr. Seuss that I was able to experience at a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seussian imagination unleashed!, January 11, 2001
Dr. Seuss' best books tend to have a touch of fantasy (or light-hearted science fiction) to them, and "There's a Wocket in My Pocket!" falls into that category. In this book of simple rhymes, the narrator introduces the reader to the gallery of weird creatures that share his home. There's no plot, but there are Seussian creatures galore.
Beginning with the Wocket of the cover, each creature favors a habitat that conveniently rhymes with its name. Example: "And that Zelf up on that shelf! / I have talked to him myself." The creatures include the pink-and-yellow striped Zlock, the cantankerous Yottle, the creepy Vug, the gravity-defying Geeling, and many others. As always, Seuss' colorful artwork is rich in whimsical details.
The narrator loves his home and its weird inhabitants. The book thus seems to have the message that it's OK to be different, or to come from a home that others might find odd. And that's a lesson I like! So enjoy the book, and don't be surprised if you find a "Ghair" under your chair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add the Zonics to Your Phonics!, December 25, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is a five star book for those who love it, and probably much less for those with timid children who imagine "boogey men" in the night whenever a strange creaking sound is heard. I averaged that out to a four star rating.
This is one of the more unusual Dr. Seuss offerings. The rhymes are deliberate designed to only evoke nonsensical names . . . belonging to imaginary beings. So it's Dr. Seuss taken to the nth degree.
As such, the book provides many helpful clues to word decoding, encourages love of rhyming, adds humor to the thought of those "unidentifiable" noises in every house, and helps ease some children's fears of the unknown. However, it requires a lot of sophistication to enjoy this book at all these levels. For adults, the fun may pale before it does with the children . . . so the necessary connection of reading to your child may be lost unless you, as the adult, fall in love with this book. I hope that you will so fall in love . . . if you don't know the book already.
The main drawback of this book is that it may cause some fright for some children. If you have such a child, I suggest you avoid the book. If you are not sure if the book is frightening, talk to your child about how this is supposed to be fun. See how she or he reacts to the first reading. Perhaps you can borrow the book from the library, see it at a friend's house, or look at it in a book store first.
The book's basic structure is to take a common household item, and rhyme it with a made-up word: basket -- wasket; curtain -- jertain; clock -- zlock; sink -- nink; lamp -- zamp; etc. The parallels are placed close together, like this: "But that BOFA on the SOFA . . . Well, I wish he wasn't here."
The book is thus very good for identifying the visual form of the household items. As such, the choice or words and images are good for beginning readers. The rhymes show the way that words are often formed in English, providing a certain subliminal form of learning. But they also indicate that if the letters don't add up the right way, there's nothing that can go with them . . . except imagination. The book has the poetic license to encourage your child to use her or his imagination in the same way.
The drawings are very humorous, and many of the creatures are small, fuzzy, and friendly. But some are not, and that's where the potential problem comes in. The child in the story is clearly disturbed by some. For example, the QUIMNEY up the CHIMNEY: "I don't like him, not at all." "And it makes one sort of nervous when the ZALL scoots down the HALL."
These quesy moments are mitigated by the book's end. "I don't care if you believe it." This allows the reader to come back to reality, having enjoyed the fantasy world. Next, you get the child's reaction in the story. "That's the kind of house I live in. And I hope we never leave it." That statement is similar to Peter Pan's declaration that "I won't grow up." It provides a good launching pad for discussing the meaning of the story with your child.
Any number of follow up exercises with your child can be rewarding. Why not start by writing some rhymes and drawing some pictures that make the scary creatures seem ordinary or friendly to your child? For example, the ZILLOW on the PILLOW could become someone who only tells funny stories. The NOOTH GRUSH on my TOOTH BRUSH could become someone who helps scrub your teeth cleaner, and then puts the tooth brush away. You get the idea. This would help your child understand that there are many uses to which imagination may be applied, including making the world a more wonderful and friendlier place.
But be sure to get the XOVE out of your STOVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a Wocket in my Pocket, October 30, 2002
A Kid's Review
There's a Wocket in my Pocket is a great book for kids. Its a book about a boy who finds all kinds of different Wockets all over his house, in his pocket, in his trash baket, in his bureau, in his closet, in his curtains, behind his clock, up on a shelf, in the sink, in the lamp, in the pots and pans, in a bottle, in and in his chair, they are everywhere. This book is a great book if you like to rhyme words, some a tongue twisting, and some are funny. In the end the boy talked about how he likes where he lives because of all the Wockets there. The reason I liked this book is because it was tongue twisting and it rhymed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put a grin on your chin with a wocket in my pocket..., February 25, 2001
Dr. Seuss has delighted children for generations with his bright, imaginative illustrations and playful, rhyming verse... but "There's a Wocket in my pocket" remains a king among nobility, a diamond among gems. Every page features deliciously whimsical creatures that made me laugh out loud when I was little. Okay, okay... this really isn't the "novel of the century", but it's definitely a bona fide masterpiece for Children! (The other great one, in my opinion, is "Did I ever tell you how lucky you are?") Who, as a child, didn't spend hours looking at Seussian sketches and projecting oneself into those deceivingly simple alien landscapes? Seuss is amazing, true genius. From dark and eerie desolate plains of hanging clothes lines and swamps of green goo, to busy market-places full of delightful monsters, Seuss knows intimately what appeals to kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars If your little one is afraid of "monsters" and things that go bump in the night..., January 26, 2014
... this book might be a way to alleviate some of those fears! So many kids do have these types of worries, and this book is about a young boy who believes there are various creatures living in house. On the (mostly) brightly colored pages, the boy goes through his home and introduces all of the silly, (mostly) benign looking creatures he's (mostly) made friends with. The simple words, rhymes and nonsensical names of the creatures really help keep the book humorous and non-frightening. Most of the pages show the boy smiling while looking at the (mostly) also-smiling creatures, and there are a few that show him looking irritated with some trouble-makers. But there's just one 2-page spread that shows a darkened living room with a large lump under a rug, with the words, "The only one I'm really scared of is that VUG under the RUG." Great opportunity to have your little person think up funny, crazy, NON-scary things a "Vug" might be, maybe leading to drawing his/her own picture of it, in turn leading to drawing the "monster" they themselves might be afraid of in their own home. If you take that picture, put a smile on the monster's face and think up a silly name for it, maybe not so scary now?

I feel very fortunate that circumstances have allowed me the luxury of babysitting my grandchildren during the day, especially since circumstances were different when my own two grown sons were this age and I worked outside of the home. It's interesting how night and day different they are (just as my sons were!), with the older being more of a gentle soul, while his younger brother is an absolute little pistol (with Grandma's stubborn streak!) When the younger's first Christmas rolled around, he was just 9 months old - since we'd already accumulated an overload of toddler toys for our older grandson that he would inherit, Grandpa & I decided to make his gifts the beginning of a complete collection of Dr. Seuss books. It's really worked out well, because the older one (4 year age difference) was able to immediately enjoy the "Beginner Books" series (age 4-8) , and our younger grandchild (now 22 months) has graduated from board books to this hardcover "Bright and Early Books" series, cleverly labeled as being "for Beginning Beginners" (age 3 & under).

There are a dozen Dr. Seuss books in this series, and "There's a Wocket in My Pocket" was the eighth. While some of them are a bit "too young" for our older grandson, this is one they both enjoy, and we sometimes make a game of naming creatures who might live in different areas of Grandma & Grandpa's house. Kids have such powerful imaginations, and I really think they can be steered toward the whimsical/fun side rather than the dark/scary side with a little help from the adults in their lives. If you're interested, the other books in the series are: "The Foot Book", "The Eye Book", "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?", "In A People House", "Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!", "The Shape of Me and Other Stuff", "The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice", "Great Day for Up", "Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?", "Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!", and "The Tooth Book".

5.0 out of 5 stars It is Dr. Seuss:), January 3, 2014
Using this book and others to help students understand rhyming. Great addition to my collection. It is Dr. Seuss so...:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens children's imaginations, December 26, 2013
Cheri Giralico (LOUISVILLE, KY, US) - See all my reviews
I always enjoy Dr. Seuss unusual names and characters. This one is one of my favorites as I look for a Zeller and other characters with my grand daughters in their home. They laugh at the thought their might be one of them in the closet or behind the curtain. Instead of being frightened of something scary being there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, December 16, 2013
Every child should have a few Dr. Seuss books in their home library. We love the fun rhymes and silly illistrations. I also highly recommend Dr. Seuss' "My Many Colored Days."

5.0 out of 5 stars Wocket, December 2, 2013
Classic books i really buy books for the grandkids and they love it, i'm really happy with the books will keep buying

There's a Wocket in My Pocket
There's a Wocket in My Pocket by Dr. Seuss (Audio Cassette - Aug. 1976)
Out of stock