5.0 out of 5 stars A happy, fun book about silly friends living in your house
Published on April 18, 1998 by mms

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the book you know and love!
This is a nice enough board book, but be advised that it is NOT the full version of Dr. Seuss' book! They've left out several (charming!) pages of text and illustrations for the Board Book... What a disappointment to loyal fans, and how unfair to the newest generation of fans-to-be.
Published on September 14, 2005 by Tiffany Holley

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy, fun book about silly friends living in your house, April 18, 1998
This review is from: There's a Wocket in My Pocket! (Dr. Seuss's Book of Ridiculous Rhymes) (Board book)
I laughed when Amazon.com's review page inquired, "Have you read this book?" Quickly, I thought to myself, "Only about 7 or 8 times -- a day." This charming, sturdy book is bound to fascinate children with its lilting, rhyming phrases describing silly friends the reader, and listener, can discover throughout the house. Dr. Suess's signature silly words make babies and young toddlers giggle when they realize that the Wocket in their pocket not really a word at all, but a pretend word. Babies are quick to recognize which words are "real" words and which are for fun. The interplay of the two makes them smile. [And who does't love a baby's smile, especially after the third time through the book that morning.] For older toddlers, the quick read inspires creative thinking about the other characters who may live in your house, while providing a nice explanation or names for any "monsters" who may live in a closet or under the bed. There's a Wocket in my Pocket should be a staple in any young child's library, even if you have to hide for a day to regain your sanity.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the book you know and love!, September 14, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fun, after 200 reads!, February 20, 2005
Natasha "nattygans" (Phoenix Valley, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I'm an au pair for an 18 month old boy and he absolutely LOVES this book! He requests me to read it numerous times a day, several times in a row. This has been going on for over two months now, so I would recommend this book for any toddler who is already showing an interest in books. I still haven't gotten tired of reading it, and it's fun to come up with new ways of reading it to him; the story is fun in itself -- for both him and I. He loves the long "teller, weller, beller, geller, etc. in the cellar" which I speed read through and he always laughs at. And then, with "the yottle in the bottle whom I do not wish to keep," he always shakes his head right along with me. Another plus is that I have memorized the book by now, and if he begins to get fussy (e.g. when getting his diaper changed, or on the way home after a tiring excursion) I can recite it to him and it usually improves his mood quite a bit! I would highly recommend this book to any parent or caregiver. Out of the three Dr. Seuss boardbooks we have so far (the others being Mr. Brown Can Moo and The ABC Book), this is by far my favorite, and his too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost some wockets from it's pocket, July 26, 2009
Our family has loved the original version of this book, so we got the board book for the grandchildren. It was a disappointment. The changes they made to it do affect the 'flavor' of the story. If your child is used to the original version, they will be disappointed in this pared down book. If they haven't grown up with the original, this book will probably be fine for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny book about made-up monsters, December 15, 2001
heather (Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for kids who are afraid of what lies behind their starircase or under their bed. It makes up silly names for mosters and its shows that they aren't mean or scary just funny looking. It's not only a great book for kids who are afraid of monsters but for any kid who loves to read books that rhyme and joke around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seuss w/o the Seuss, October 7, 2007
We have both the real versions of these Seuss classics and a few of these "bored" book versions... they have most of the original drawings, but not all. The text is quite different, especially in Wocket. The fun, clever rhymes that have charmed generations of kids are missing here -- the versions in the board book are quite different, and not as charming. Get the real thing, your kids deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, June 8, 2002
"thedayz" (Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
Another great Dr. Seuss book. The silly rhymes and interesting pictures keep the little one's attention. And as many times a day that we have to repeat the same books, it's nice to have one that isn't boring. We can recite a few lines from the book while changing diapers and it catches the childs attention long enough to finish. Dr. Seuss is always a good choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a Wocket in my Pocket, September 26, 2003
A Kid's Review
The book "There's a Wocket In My Pocket" is just like any other Dr. Seuss book, it rhymes, its got weird words, and its funny. The Story is about a young boy whose house is filled with weird things, some of them are nice some of them are mean. He takes you through the house and shows you all the things in his house. There really isn't a lesson to be taught in this book, it's just a fun story. I would say that this book could be read by anybody and they could still find that's it's a good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it....... but she doesn't, December 30, 2003
I love reading this book to my two year old - but she never lets me finish it - instead giving me a different book to read. I sincerely believe it is because she is at a stage of learning real words, and so many words with no meaning either don't intrest her or she just doesn't understand. I think it is definitely for older kids, maybe 3-4 that can understand the difference between words they haven't learned yet and words that are just made up and not real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Small Book, April 23, 2013
From some other reviews I've gathered that this is not the full original version of "There's a Wocket in My Pocket," but I don't find this to be a major issue for me. I've never read the original, and only wanted to get a classic children's literature read for my infant son. Dr. Seuss's books are invariably playful, whimsical and charming, and this one is no exception. They can be a lot of fun to read. The little ones who are just learning to speak a playful rhyming sentences can be really attractive. Our son is still too young to fully understand what even the "regular" words mean, so we read him this book mostly in order to expose him to the very act of reading. For that purpose this small book is more than adequate. It's much smaller than most other board books that we own, and even the smallest infant can hold it relatively easily. It's also very durable and can withstand many months and years of infant abuse. A true treasure.

There's a Wocket in My Pocket! (Dr. Seuss's Book of Ridiculous Rhymes)
$4.99