5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product!!!
Published on April 10, 2011 by Anthony Rommens

2.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing defects or just poor quality?
Published 17 months ago by Domingo

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product!!!, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
I always wanted to try one of these Therm-A-Rest inflatable mattresses ever since I first saw them two decades ago. However, I could never really bring myself to afford one until I found this Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress in a big camping goods store. Its half the price of any others in the Therm-a-Rest line up. I got to try it out and compare to the others in the same Therm-a-Rest line and also with other brands of self inflating mattresses. The Therm-a-Rest Scout Mattress is extremely comfortable, light and is almost as compact as the smaller Therm-A-Rests mats that cost twice as much. Most important, for a self inflating mattress, it has a pretty good R value (warmth rating) and loft that seemed better than the more expensive ones. This mattress is new for 2011 and it has a rubber surface like the original Therm-a-Rest and its not covered in the protective rip stop nylon of its cousins (this is where the company might have saved some money so its probably advisable to handle carefully). The rubber surface is an advantage to me as its easier to keep clean and it compacts faster and smaller than the others. Therm-a-Rest inflates and can be put away very quick with very little work. Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout also comes with a bag (unlike the other Therm-a-Rest mattress pads). At home, I tried out the mattress and actually fell asleep on it! It slept good! Therm-a-Rest truly is an amazing product. To me, its the most essential piece of camping gear as it makes you enjoy camping. I now understand why so many years ago the spoiled kids were so smug with having them! Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout is very affordable and it will change your camping experience. Will buy more for the family as it will replace the bulky air mattresses that kick around home, take up space and are a pain to inflate for young guests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
Though I grew up camping, I'll be the prissy girl and admit that I really dislike sleeping on the ground. I borrowed a Thermarest for a backpacking trip several years ago and was blown away by just how comfortable I was sleeping on it. Fast forward to recent days: our kids are both old enough to hike a little, so we planned a camping trip in the Olympic Mountains. Remembering how comfortable my backpacking trip had been, I purchased two of these Thermarests and crossed my fingers. Again, I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I was. I have some trouble with my hips and frequently wake up with pain in them, but I did not wake up with this problem, though I did find the Thermarest most comfortable when I was lying on my back. My husband was on his side the whole night and said he was very comfortable.

Pros: Light, easy to pack, very comfortable. Works on mildly bumpy/rocky terrain. Nice smooth, supportive exterior supports curves without the lumpy air-mattress feel.

Cons: If you're a thrasher, you might roll yourself off the side- like all sleeping mats, it is not wide enough to handle the extreme sleepers. Besides that, I did not realize until I was at the campsite that it takes a few hours for it to inflate fully the very first time. Not a problem at all, but I was expecting my first quick inflation experience with my borrowed Thermarest and was surprised it took so long. Be sure to actually read the directions on using it for the first time- there are some hidden tricks to getting the best experience with it.

Overall: If you are a casual camper looking for a comfortable, light sleeping mat without the lumpy air-mattress feel, this is your mat! And yes, I have already recommended it to family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Therm-A-Rest Trail Scout Large, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
So many pros for this product.
Took it with me to Sturgis motorcycle ralley.
I slept on it for 10 days in 5 different states.
Putting it thru undeveloped camp sites, front room floors, back yards to picnic tables.
I have never experienced such superior sleep while on the road.
Its cheap, easy to use and clean, its so light and packs tight in my saddle bags.
Any altitude all I had to give it was a puff or two to float a 200 lb dude.
Cons might be it lacks the rip stop
Being careful with something you value is easy
so use an underlayment and sweep your site then
when not on the road unscrew it, unroll it and lay it under the bed.
I DIG my pad man!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, June 20, 2011
This pad is small in size, but very effective and high quality. It makes camping very comfortable. Easy to transport, but if you live in a small apartment, it might be tricky to find a good place to store it, since it should be stored inflated and flat, not rolled up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Durable, September 25, 2011
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
Seven years ago I brought my mother into my home to care for her after a stroke. I have a two-bedroom home, but I use one bedroom as my office. My mom has my bedroom (and obviously my bed) so I purchased a Therm-a-Rest classic self-inflating mattress because I decided to just "rough it" and sleep on the floor of my family room. I have used this mattress EVERY night for over seven years and it is as comfortable now as when I first started using it. It is lightweight and slips easily behind my living room sofa out of sight each morning. It has totally held its shape and looks and feels brand new. I cannot say enough good things about this mattress. My mom was in the hospital for a brief stay a while ago and I decided to sleep in my bed again. That lasted only one night because I actually prefer sleeping on the Therm-a-Rest. It is much more comfortable for me than my bed.

I highly recommend this product for its comfort, durability, and ease of handling and storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trail Scout vs. Trail Lite, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
I was down to getting either the Thermarest Trail Scout or the Thermarest Trail Lite which costs about twice as much. I chose the Trail Scout because of the specs. Firstly, the Trail Scout is warmer with an R-value of 3.7. The Trail Lite has an R-value of 3.4. This meant quite a bit to me because I'll probably be using this in cooler weather. Secondly, The Trail Scout is 4 ounces lighter than the Trail Lite model. Really the only positive thing I saw in the specs of the Trail Lite is that it's 1/4 inch thicker which I feel is minimal. I haven't used my Trail Scout on any camping trips yet, but I've laid down on it and it's extremely comfy.
I would say that even if the Trail Scout and Trail Lite were in a similar price range, I'd still go with the Trail Scout because of the advantages it has over Trail Lite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget sleeping pad, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress (Sports)
I picked up a couple of these in size Medium for the wife and I (I'm 5'8" she is 5'3") for backpacking and am mostly impressed. They pack relatively small and come with their own stuff sacks, which I suspect really must be used if these are carried on the outside of the pack, since I understand that direct sunlight and heat can be harmful to the exterior material of the pad. They are quite light and very comfy for what they are. Fully inflated the thickness is right about 1.25".

My only concern is about their durability; the exterior material feels very light and very thin. I can easily see this thing getting punctured. I suppose as long as you are careful and take precautions (like not playing with knives in bed) you should be OK; we are sleeping in a tent with a floor saver, and I sweep campsites and remove rocks and twigs before setting up the tent, but all the same I think I'll probably get one of their repair kits and keep it handy just in case.

But for the $$ it is a nice pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to me., August 2, 2013
Over thirteen years of sleeping on the streets has taught me don't listen to reviewers that play a few days a year. I use this daily, though I had to exchange for a regular to fit in my Big Agnes Gunn Creek sleeping bag. It's as good as they get. No let's tear it down, self inflating simply means if you open the valve, it'll roll itself out, you still have to manually fill it with your desired firmness, before closing the valve. This is a top shelf mat. Though I've only owned one other mat also a thermarest self inflating mat, I loved it. Do yourself a favor invest in a trail patch kit for it, you may never need it, but you'll thank the bank note/s spent on it when or if you do. I did once in 7 years with my other. No need to doubt this is comfort and convenience. Small and compact as well as light.

2.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing defects or just poor quality?, July 18, 2013
This rating may change once I receive the replacement, but I was really let down by this thing the past several days. I had this in my pack on an extended motorcycle trip. I depend on my gear to work and last. I tested it, briefly, before leaving. First night out, I blow it up, and 15 minutes later I notice it's not as firm as I wanted it to be. So, I blow it up again, no big deal. I wake up on a mostly deflated mattress. I chalked it up to not tightening the valve enough or, I don't know what. Next night? Same thing. Next night? Now it's not even self-inflating within a reasonable time. The valve area looks very haphazard and is covered in glue on the outside-thought it might be typical but maybe it's not. Looks like it was an issue upon leaving the factory doors. It also does NOT come with a patch kit, just a FYI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, Quite comfortable, lite, small, July 30, 2012
I have slept on this a few times now, and for only 1 1/4" thick, it is quite comfortable. The medium is perfect size for me as a side sleeper, I am 6'-0" tall, an 210#.
The trail scout packs down to a small size, includes the stuff sack and is reasonable weight, I settled on a self inflating due to concerns about about inflating an air pad at high elevation (over 10,000ft and the lack of air.) the trial scout inflates readily, and a couple breaths to top if off and it is firm and supportive, deflates and rolls up easily to fit back into the stuff sack.
I would recommend this for anyone looking for a great value pad that is lightweight, packs small to fit inside the pack, and is very comfortable, and it is American made.

Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout Mattress