4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and warm, but bulky.
Published on May 5, 2011 by SteveG

3.0 out of 5 stars Light, warm, but left me sore in the morning
This is a great pad for long distance hiking and camping because it is so light, and it is a great insulator. But after one night of sleeping on it, I was rather sore in places.
Published on June 4, 2012 by J. Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and warm, but bulky., May 5, 2011
I have a couple of Therm-a-Rest self-inflating matresses that pack to less than half of this size, but they're a bit heavier. This pad is noticeably warm, the aluminized surface works well. It's thin and not as comfortable as heavier/thicker pads, but it is probably warm enough for almost three seasons here in SW Ohio. This pad is comfortable enough for me, but some may find it too thin for a good night's rest. I like the low weight and reasonable warmth, though I'd rate the comfort as only "adequate" for this 190lb, 6ft near-50-y.o. frame. Regardless, if it packed a little smaller (this pad rolls rather than folding like the Z-lite), I'd give it 5 stars. It is a good product at a fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for buck sleeping pad., July 3, 2014
This sleeping pad is wonderful. Slept on it about 4 times. I have an inflatable one made by ALPS and while it works great, it is heavier and takes more time to set up and pack down. I cannot differentiate superior comfort between the two; they both are far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. I get pretty good sleep on this thing in the woods with a comfy sleeping bag. The reason I love this one however, is how ridiculously light it is. I wrap it around my tent bag, and lash it to my pack, which is super convenient and easy.

Durable, lightweight, and comfortable. 5/5

PS: One large advantage a pad like this has over say an inflatable one is it will not pierce and leak air. Another reason I prefer this one over my ALPS comfort series inflatable pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made all the difference winter backpacking, June 16, 2014
SGCaper (Southern CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad (Sports)
My wife and I placed these under our air mattresses while winter backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and it made all teh difference. How do we know? Our friend who came along without one was freezing all night while my wife and I were quite comfortable and woke up ready for the day's hiking. Our third friend used a space blanket folded in half under his air mattress and while not as comfortable as us was better off then the guy without anything.

Works great at reflecting your body heat back to you and in lowering heat loss through conduction. A+ product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, February 19, 2012
This pad is actually 25 inches wide and works perfect for under you thermarest air pad. We use them both in the sierras for added warmth and some just use it on top of the snow. It'a a great addition to my expensive air pad and gives me a little more security to guard against punctures. It's very little weight, but bulky. It's worth the extra hassle though. A good nights sleep is a must when backpacking. My wife and I use these and the yellow Neo-Air pads in the winter time and stay plenty warm. A traditional air bed will not work it is just not warm enough. The shipping took awhile, mine came from back east in the middle of a snowstorm. They arrived in good condition despite all they had to go through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light, warm, but left me sore in the morning, June 4, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product. Heat reflective technology works great, October 3, 2014
Very nice product. Heat reflective technology works great. Rated a 4 because I also own the Z-lite Sol and it is so much more versatile than the Ridge Rest. Unless I find a durability issue with the connecting folds of the Z-lite after extensive use, I would recommend skipping the Ridge Rest and spending the extra money for the folding model. The option to fold it into a seat cushion or fold an extra layer under your hips makes it worth the extra $.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Really any better than "blue" sleeping pad, September 7, 2013
I've used pad about 10 times. It is for sure a bit warmer than cheap blue pads but it's just as comfortable. Unless you can sleep on anything I would avoid this pad and go for an inflatable pad. After not getting enough sleep a friend loaned me her inflatable pad. The difference was night and day. The added weight of a inflatable pad is certainly worth it and quality inflatable pads don't have problems leaking air. Also from it's use the foam is collapsing a little and chunks of foam are coming off. Overall a high quality inflatable pad will last longer and give you a much more comfortable nights rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested and Passed!!, April 20, 2014
justin sipes (ottumwa, ia, US) - See all my reviews
I received this and went camping with it the weekend after getting it. It preformed as expected!! I used this in a sleep system including a Thermarest scout self inflating pad and a Coleman Dunnock Large Cold-Weather Sleeping Bag. It kept me warm as the temp outside dipped to about 38 degrees. The silver side up kept the heat directed back towards the pad/sleeping bag. This kept me toasty warm inside of the bag!!

Would definitely recommend!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Bulky, Not all that comfortable., March 22, 2013
This is a decent starter pad for a new camper or boy scout who isn't sure that camping/hiking/backpacking is going to be something they are going to do on a regular basis. It is somewhat bulky and does not come with a stuff sack or any way to hold the thing together once it is rolled up. It does not really provide much padding and IMHO is somewhat overpriced for what is basically foam coated with slippery plastic. It will protect you from feeling a small stone or tree root but not much else. If you are serious about camping then you should spend the extra money to get either a self inflating air pad or a backpacking air mattress. The self inflating air pads are just as bulky but provide a lot more comfort. The "real" backpacking air mattresses can be rolled up to about the size of a large can of beans and weigh next to nothing. However, they can be very pricey, some are well over one hundred dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasty, August 9, 2014
Shipped fast, packed well, easily tracked - super lite, but really difficult to roll tight ( use some compression straps ) - used this with my Stansport self inflating mattress and 20º Slumberjack sleeping bag on the mountains of eastern Pennsylvania and was TOO warm in 40º weather - tried it without Thermarest and was a little on chilly side just to check it out but with it made a big difference since air in mattress didn't have a chance to cool by being on tent floor - Thermarest kept air in air mattress warm since there was no direct contact with tent floor and air in mattress that was warm, stayed warmer - and a little more comfortable with some added padding under me - I'm over 50 and no back pain in morning, comfy sleep, well rested to take on day - high quality affordable must have product - a little bulky, but SO light you don't even know you're carrying it
Go get one