4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not perfect.
I am the most mosquito bite prone person I know. When I used this I still got a couple of bites, but not nearly as many as with spray.

One disadvantage is that if it is breezy, your coverage is kind of shot. Overall I would recommend it, but it might be best to augment it with a little bug spray too.
Published on August 14, 2008 by C. McKellar

Published 12 months ago by Alice

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not perfect., August 14, 2008
C. McKellar (Hudsonville, MI) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, but not as portable as I first believed, September 30, 2007
M. Willis (Poteau, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this device for deer hunting in the early fall when the mosquitos are still very plentiful. It works great, but the butane heats the device and warns the user not to touch the screen. I had hoped I could just throw it back in my pack when I was finished for the day and move on, but I'm afraid it would ignite something. It's just a minor inconvenience, but one that I would have preferred to know about before the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, January 6, 2009
Amazon Customer (Bozeman, MT, United States) - See all my reviews
Anything I do not have to apply to my skin and keeps away the bugs makes me a happy camper! It even repelled meat bees and flies while we ate lunch in Yellowstone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a "repellent", this is an INSECTICIDE FOGGER and toxic to cats, June 27, 2013
Alice (Portland, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ThermaCELL MR-GJ Mosquito Operated Personal Pest Control Appliance in Olive Green (Lawn & Patio)
This item is advertised as a "mosquito repellent device". Imagine my surprise when I read the fine print on the box---it is actually a heat-release vaporizer dispensing the insecticide Allethrin. That is a synthetic pyrethrin-type insecticide which scrambles nerve signals in insects--causing them to fall down twitching and not bite you. This is NOT a "repellent", this is an insect killer, although its package uses the word "repellent" over and over. I would not have knowingly bought an insecticide fogger. The package has numerous warnings that do not appear on the Amazon sales page, such as "do not contaminate water, food or feed" by use or disposal of the ThermaCell; "harmful if inhaled", and "do not breathe vapors" (good luck avoiding THAT around a vaporizer appliance!) The package also states that the insecticide is toxic to fish and other aquatic life (probably not suitable for use near a garden pond.) Finally, a Wikipedia search revealed that the pyrethrin-type insecticides are highly toxic to cats. Since I bought this thing to ward off mosquitoes on a patio we enjoy with our three cats, it's absolutely NOT acceptable. Sadly, as a butane-burning appliance, it is also NOT RETURNABLE to Amazon, so please, BUYER BEWARE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drastically reduces mosquito bites and no-see-ums, August 2, 2011
Nothing in this world is perfect. If you are looking for something that eliminates mosquitoes and no-see-ums 100% of the time, then you just gotta break down and screen in your outdoor area and/or slather on the deet when in warm, humid places. Otherwise, I highly recommend investing in a Thermacell unit... or two... or more!

About the Reviewers: We live in coastal, east-central Florida. Our house backs up to a slough just off of the Indian River Lagoon. Lots of stagnant water around,so prime testing grounds! In addition, mosquitoes find me incredibly attractive, as evidenced by the 32 welt-sized bites I received during an hour-long dinner at a seaside restaurant last week (maybe I need a Thermacell for my purse). My husband is less prone to bites, but finds even he can't last long in our swampy backyard in August.

How We Use Thermacells: We have two Thermacell units, along with holsters. They turn on with a click; then we simply place them at opposite ends of the table or area we intend to use. The pads really do seem to last 4 hours; the 3:1 ratio of pads to butane cartridges in the refill packs leaves us with lots of extra pads. Replacing pads it a breeze. The metal surface is well-protected from fingers by the grill. We push the old pad out using the new one, then use the old pad to make sure the new one is properly centered. The butane cartridges need replacement less often, and screw in and out with a twist. I do wish there was a window that allow you to see how much butane was left. The holsters are great for holding extra pads on one side and extra butane on the other. The holsters also allow us to wear the Thermacells when working in the yard or hang them from the fence nearby; on nights when the bugs are really aggressive, we use the holsters to hang the Thermacells right under the table or chair in which we intend to sit. During the climax of bug season (when these vile creatures attack and feed 24/7), we will place the units outdoors and let the Thermacells warm up for a few minutes (5-10 min) before re-entering the enemy's domain long-term. If it is windy, we place both units a few feet upwind of our location. When not in use, we store the units indoors; the metal is cool to the touch within minutes.

Recommendations: The number of units you'll need depends on the size of your outdoor area and severity of your mosquito problem. For 11 months of the year, our two units protect my husband and me from these annoying pests with only the occasional single bite. This is amazing considering how much time we spend outside, and just how bad the "blood-vulture" problem is here in Florida year-round. However, during the "Dog Days" of summer, we do find that sometimes two Thermacells just aren't strong enough to fend off the overwhelming hordes that attack at dusk. With the Thermacells, we usually are fine up until about 7pm, but after that, you really need to pull out the bug spray or pack it up and go inside. Also, with only two of us, it's pretty easy to plan and focus our Thermacells on a small protected refuge. However, when we entertain parties of 5 or more, the two units just aren't quite enough to cover the area we need defend. I'm back today to purchase two more units so that we can place one unit at each corner of our patio when we entertain guests to create a larger area of protection.

Conclusions: We have tested these units here at home for over a year, plus on multiple camping trips. Our Thermacells have allowed us to reclaim life outdoors from these awful blood-suckers! I can say unequivocally that Thermacells drastically reduce the chances of being bitten. Using Thermacells sure beats slathering on icky sprays and lotions, and 95% of the time, Thermcells are the only thing we use to fend off the mosquitoes and no-see-ums. I highly recommend investing in the holsters--they are very helpful to keep the units out of the dirt when camping or picnicking, to assist with customizing the zone of protection, and to keep extra pads and cartridges on hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I now own my back porch", July 1, 2010
I was some what skeptical of this product before I purchased it but the reviews on it were pretty good so I went for it. The mosquitos are plentiful around my house because of the late rain we've been having. I was under the belief that I had to purchase a mosquito magnet in order to be able to sit on my back porch. At $300, the maintance and the purchasing of the propane every 16 hrs of use just wasn't sitting very well with me. After reading reviews about this one I decided to pick one up at Home Depot. When I brought it home, my back porch was swarming with mosquitos. Within a minute I had it up and running. The instuctions state that it takes 10-30 minutes to start working but within 5 minutes the mosquitos were gone. I noticed the following morning that I had mosquitos clinging to my front porch windows by the hundreds but the back porch windows only had 2. The procuct was off the entire night but I was still amazed at it's performance. I run it for an hour or 2 each evening and then shut it off. I then enjoy my back porch the entire evening. A 4 pack refill cost about $20 but it's good for 48 hrs of use. With the magnet, a 5 gallon propane bottle would cost me over $25 and beside of lugging the bottle to be refilled it was only good for 16 hrs of use. The portability of this one is great. I can take it with me when I think mosquitos are going to be a burden.

4.0 out of 5 stars works great, November 19, 2008
works great. we were camping and being pestered by a number of yellow jackets. after firing it up the yellow jackets went away. about a area of 15x15 feet was protected from pests.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Crop consultant and this works!, April 3, 2009
I live in the Deep South scouting cotton and rice. I also hunt. I live around thick mosquito areas and I am here to tell you this is way better than anything I have sprayed on my body. I am in and around swamps where it sounds like honey bees the mosquito's are so loud. The only thing is it is not odorless. It's not bad, but the blue strips do have odor to them. Also It isn't cheap to run, If you only use it occasionally it doesn't seem too bad but for me I need this every day, so it gets expensive. I have a holster that I can put this on my side. I have tried lots of products on me and around the house. This is one of the best systems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do I really want Mr. G?, August 30, 2011
When I ordered 2 of Mr. G ThermaCell mosquito repellent from Amazon, I wanted it for protection from mosquitoes when picking blackberries. The description did not say anything about keeping it away from food - not until I received the product - then it says to keep all foods covered - hence I can not use for purpose intended. Also, in the description given on line you can buy a holster to wear it on your body. The description on the box says "cover or remove all exposed food"; " Do not attach to your body or clothing"; "place appliance on a flat stable surface with the grill facing upward".

If this description had been in the Amazon ad I certainly would have bought something different - these will not be used for wearing to the berry patch! or anywhere!!!! There are other ones available unless the description for those is void in these areas too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for outdoorsman, April 24, 2008
Txcoon "mom" (Forney, TX USA) - See all my reviews
We used Thermacells on a hog hunt and they are great. We waited until it was fairly dark and the bugs were a buzzing cloud around us. They made such a difference.We put the unit under our chairs and we were bug free. It was great. Not a single mosquito or noseeum bite.

$26.65
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies