Thermal Spa UV Auto Gel Light Nail Dryer
Price:$57.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,929 of 1,964 people found the following review helpful
on January 19, 2011
After reading the reviews, I purchased this UV dryer. I just wanted to leave a little more feedback on this dryer in regards to shellac nail polish. I bought this product to do my own nails. I am not a nail tech, but fully capable of doing my own nails. So here is what I did, I purchased the shellac scrub fresh nail prep, shellac UV base coat, shellac red barroness nail color, shellac UV top coat and this dryer all from Amazon sellers. Here is what I did step by step and it worked.
1. Follow Shellac's instruction on how to prep nails and use products-go to their website. I shape my nails and cuticles, then use scrub fresh to clean and dehydrate.
2. SHAKE the UV base coat for two minutes and paint both hands! I didn't shake well the the first time and the base coat and nail color came out too thick.
3. I put nails under light to cure for 30 seconds. Nails will feel tacky (not dry) and this is normal. Has to do with oxygenation with curing.
4. Shake color -paint one coat of color on both hands and put under light for two minutes-nails will feel tacky. This is normal.
5. Shake color-paint second coat of color on both hands and put under light for two minutes-nails will feel tacky. This is normal.
6. Shake top coat-paint top coat on nails-place under dryer for two minutes. Use 99% alcohol to remove tacky layer on top coat. I used 70% alcohol pads and this worked fine! A tiny bit of nail color streak came off on alcohol pad but I continued on removing tacky layer. When I was finished, nails were perfectly cured. Polish has been on for 10 days and still look brand new. If nails lose their shine due to lotion...-wife off with alcohol pad and they look brand new.
7. When ready to take off-either soak off with 100%acetone on cotton balls with aluminum foil or soak fingers in acetone. I wouldn't bother with the CND pad removers.
Bottom line-this lamp works great for Shellac nails-no need to buy $200 plus one. You will read so many mixed reviews about why you shouldn't be doing it yourself and using anything but the CND dryer, but this is what worked for me.
Good Luck
124124 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2010
WOW it's big. The two hander was the same price at the one hander so I got the two hander. It's pretty honkin. My main complaint it that it only has 2 and 3 minute auto timer and I would really like a 1 minute which I think it claims to have) for doing the OPI Axxium. Works very well.
UPDATE! 7 months later.
Axxium is too hard to take off so I've started using CND Shellac. FANTASTIC, but don't let them snow you that you need the "official" CND light. I use this bad boy and get two weeks of perfect wear out of my Shellac. Love this light. Also the OPI light is $200+ and you can only do 4 fingers at a time and thumb seperately. lame. LOVE THIS LIGHT
4242 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2010
I was fed up with my nail polish chipping, over acrylics so tried UV polish...loved it - nail polish that stays shiny and does not chip off for at least 2 weeks - what was not so appealing was the fact that it cost $40 plus tip locally!

After doing some research I decided to purchase the CND Shellac nail polish / base coat and top coat which require a UV lamp to set the colors. I paid $180 for all items - polish and lamp which is not bad, as by polish number 5 I will be saving my cash!

CND has an official lamp with a rather high price tag, so I saw this, reviews looked good so decided to give it a try!

It has three settings: 2 minutes, 3 minutes and constant. It also does come with the three bulbs it needs (be careful as they are tucked away in the box and I almost missed them!
It is a good size - you can fit two hands or two feet in at the same time so it allows you to complete your UV process much faster! Similar lamps tend to be smaller - and more expensive!

It works perfectly for these UV polish systems and set my color just fine with no need for a repeat cure. Your nails will feel tacky at the end of the process, but simply follow directions, wipe your nails with an alcohol pad and you will be good to go - the lamp does the trick perfectly.

If you are looking for a UV lamp to use with UV polish systems, this is a great choice - good price, several settings, and large enough to cut time off your mani's!

UPDATE: 4 years later this is still going strong, I have yet to replace a bulb -I use myabe 20 or or times a year for reference, so based on the price and the fact this this has stood up well over time; it is a great pick!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2010
I have now used it 5 times...and really appreciate that I can place 2 hands in at the same time. And it is not too big, so that I can place it in a cabinet when not in use.
on March 5, 2011
I'm not typically one to write a product review but I found all of the other reviews so helpful on this product - the reviews are the reason I chose this lamp.

I have used this lamp with the Shellac nail polish system and IT WORKS LIKE YOU GOT THEM DONE AT THE SALON! I have chosen this lamp with no regrets for the following reasons:
1. This lamp has enough watts to cure the Shellac polish - even more watts that some of the more expensive name brand lamps.
2. This lamp has enough room to cure your entire hand/foot or both hands/feet, including the thumbs - the name brands OPI and Brisa only have room for four fingers at a time and then your thumb by itself.
3. The price of this lamp is half the price of the name brand lamps.
4. This lamp is easy to use, it has a 2 minute setting, a 3 minute setting, and a continuous setting. (Shellac system uses the 2 minute setting.)

I recommend going to the Shellac website and printing off the instructions on how to use the nail polish with your lamp; the instructions include a last step after your top coat sealer requiring alcohol. I believe the instructions recommend using a 90% alcohol but I have used the $1 bottle of generic rubbing alcohol (70%?) at Wal-mart and it cures the nails just fine - they are not tacky after this last very important step.

I have not used any of the other brands of nail polish with this lamp - I am looking forward to trying the OPI Axxium and Harmony Gelish with it soon!
THIS LAMP WORKS WITH THE CDI SHELLAC NAIL POLISH SYSTEM!!
on July 4, 2011
After much research, I decided to buy this UV lamp system. I did not want a lamp shipped from Hong Kong.
and I wanted a brand name. I saw this lamp sold on some nail websites for much more than the $60 some odd dollars it was here.

Some tips for using this with Gel Nails.
1. Always mix the bottles, I have had the nails flake off after about a week because the polish was not well mixed.

2. I use the Harmony / Gelish pH balance before I put the base coat on. This basically takes any moisture or oils out of your nail and makes them an acidic pH. Its cheap too

3. Gelish Basecoat , a very thin layer and dry for 1 to 2 min. This lamp does not have a one minute timer .... I wish it did

4. Polish Coat.... again a very thin layer and BE SURE to try and wrap the polish around to the top edge of your nail. This creates a seal and will cause less chipping. Be sure to dry for the full two mintues for each coat. Do a three minute dry if you are using a dark polish

5. Gelish Top Coat.... this bring you the shine you want. Super thin layers are key and wrap that top coat over the edge/ tip of your nail.

Hope this helps
on August 7, 2011
I don't know if anybody else has discovered this, but I find that the UV light helps "cure" regular nail polish into a much stronger, more durable prodouct. I was getting gels at the salon but, after repeated applications and removal, my nails were getting destroyed. I decided to take a break from the gels and noticed that my regular salon manicures were lasting way longer than my home manicures, even though I was using all the same products. The only difference: I dried my nails under a UV light with a fan at the salon. So, I bought this light for home use and -- Ureka -- my polished nails are lasting days longer, even when doing laundry and housework. I'm using the light (along with a small fan) to cure each step of the application: I put on two coats of base coat (OPI Nail Envy)and use the light/fan combo for a couple minutes, two coats of color (OPI)and use the light/fan for a couple minutes, finish with top coat(Seche)and use the light/fan again. The polish was totally dry and I immediately used my hands without fear of messing up the polish. The manicure is lasting a whole lot longer than it used to. I'm on day #5 without a chip, having done 8 loads of laundry and ironing. And believe me, my natural nails are tissue paper-thin.

I gave 4 out of 5 stars only because the bulb connections are pretty flimsy. I hope the light lasts. It's the same unit they use in the salon I go to, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
on December 11, 2011
I agonized over whether to purchasea a U/V nail dryer or not. After reading many, many reviews, I narrowed down my choices to this dryer, the price had much to do with my decision. Yet, I ordered it with some doubts that it would work for my needs as I mainly wanted to "cure" regular nail polish rather than gel. I have many bottles of regular nail polish to use before making the big switch to Shellac, which I consider a little costly for me at the present time. Some of the reviews for this dryer stated that the dryer came without bulbs. I'm wondering if the people writing these reviews actually checked the box thoroughly, as the bulbs come separately bubble-wrapped and boxed under a layer of cardboard in the box with the dryer. I received three 18-watt bulbs, so this is a 54-watt dryer, a bit more powerful than what the product is described as. One review stated that the dryer is "flimsy" and cheaply made and that the bulbs keep falling out. The 3-prong bulbs must be fully inserted into their holders, there is no way they can fall out if properly installed. The dryer is very well made and I am expecting years of use. My regular nail polish dries perfectly. I start with 2 minutes each for the base coat and first coat, then increase the time to 3 minutes each for the second coat of color and the top coat. If a coat should go on a little thick, I dry it a second time just to make sure it's cured through. I get a couple of extra days out of my polish now, but I mainly wanted to speed up the drying process of regular nail polish, which this dryer does to my satisfaction. I would recommended this dryer.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2011
This UV light is amazing for gelish nail polish. When I first received this machine I thought it was defective because the lights kept cutting off but you just have to make sure the lights are pushed in all the way and it may take a little bit of force. I decided I didnt want to spend $70 every two weeks to get gelish mani and pedi, so i decided to get this thermal spa and gelish nail polish to do it myself, I just looked at a youtube video and now i'm doing my as well as a few family members nails and toes. Awesome UV light, highly recommended, june bride and bronzed are my favorite gelish colors. Hope this was helpful ladies
on February 12, 2012
Ok, I am the type of girl who is extremely active (and extremely frugal). I have never been able to keep a regular manicure looking decent for more than a day and a half, and I'm not the type to rock the acrylic or gel nails. As I wanted to have a more polished appearance at work, when my local spa started offering Shellac nail services, I thought this would be a great alternative for me. I was informed that shellac is extremely durable and as easy to put on as regular nail polish (none of that smelly acrylic or gel stuff for me!), but I was put off by the $45.00 price tag for the initial service and the need for return visits every 2-3 weeks for the upkeep (I work full time and go to school part time and have difficulty committing to regular spa visits both because of time constraints and the costs involved). The technician at the spa said that this services could only be done by professionals, and that the required supplies could not be purchased by mere mortals such as myself. As a perpetual skeptic, I figured that a little research was in order. I was pleased to discover that Amazon carried all the supplies I needed to perform this service at home.

During my research, I visited the CND Shellac website, where they recommend their own U/V nail dryer for use with their shellac. After more research, I decided to save myself a considerable amount of money and purchased the Thermal Spa 49135 U/V Gel Light Nail Dryer from Amazon. I also purchased the CND Shellac U/V top coat, CND base coat, and the CND Shellac in Cocoa - all through Amazon. At this point I need to qualify this review with the following: I am, by no means, a professional nail technician. In fact, I just started doing my own manicures very recently (have been doing my own pedicures for the past year or so), and have no special skills other than a steady hand, patience, and the ability to follow directions. The CND Shellac system is as easy to use as putting on nail polish, although you must follow ALL the directions on the bottles regarding curing times, etc., and the Thermal Spa U/V Nail Dryer worked beautifully to cure the CND product! I was a slightly nervous when my nails came out a little tacky at the end, but, once I removed this tacky layer with the alcohol, per the instruction on the top coat package, I was AMAZED at the results. The Thermal Spa dryer definitely worked as promised on the CND product for a fraction of the cost of the CND U/V nail dryer.

Now the for the caveats. The initial investment was pricey (I paid roughly 125.00 for the nail dryer and the CND base coat, CND top coat and CND Shellac), but I figure I'll make most of my money back after the second use. Not a bad ROI. Next, the manicure process may be a bit more time-consuming than a regular manicure, due to the curing time required for the product, but really is no more difficult to perform than painting one's nails with regular polish. It is IMPERATIVE that you follow the directions when using the shellac products, but, if you do, you can end up with results that look fabulous for a fraction of the cost of a spa visit. Bottom line, save yourself some money - this Thermal Spa 49135 Professional U/V Gel Light Nail Dryer works wonderfully with the CND Shellac products.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations