Thermal Spa UV Auto Gel Light Nail Dryer
Price:$59.51 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,916 of 1,951 people found the following review helpful
on January 19, 2011
Verified Purchase
After reading the reviews, I purchased this UV dryer. I just wanted to leave a little more feedback on this dryer in regards to shellac nail polish. I bought this product to do my own nails. I am not a nail tech, but fully capable of doing my own nails. So here is what I did, I purchased the shellac scrub fresh nail prep, shellac UV base coat, shellac red barroness nail color, shellac UV top coat and this dryer all from Amazon sellers. Here is what I did step by step and it worked.
1. Follow Shellac's instruction on how to prep nails and use products-go to their website. I shape my nails and cuticles, then use scrub fresh to clean and dehydrate.
2. SHAKE the UV base coat for two minutes and paint both hands! I didn't shake well the the first time and the base coat and nail color came out too thick.
3. I put nails under light to cure for 30 seconds. Nails will feel tacky (not dry) and this is normal. Has to do with oxygenation with curing.
4. Shake color -paint one coat of color on both hands and put under light for two minutes-nails will feel tacky. This is normal.
5. Shake color-paint second coat of color on both hands and put under light for two minutes-nails will feel tacky. This is normal.
6. Shake top coat-paint top coat on nails-place under dryer for two minutes. Use 99% alcohol to remove tacky layer on top coat. I used 70% alcohol pads and this worked fine! A tiny bit of nail color streak came off on alcohol pad but I continued on removing tacky layer. When I was finished, nails were perfectly cured. Polish has been on for 10 days and still look brand new. If nails lose their shine due to lotion...-wife off with alcohol pad and they look brand new.
7. When ready to take off-either soak off with 100%acetone on cotton balls with aluminum foil or soak fingers in acetone. I wouldn't bother with the CND pad removers.
Bottom line-this lamp works great for Shellac nails-no need to buy $200 plus one. You will read so many mixed reviews about why you shouldn't be doing it yourself and using anything but the CND dryer, but this is what worked for me.
Good Luck
124124 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2010
Verified Purchase
WOW it's big. The two hander was the same price at the one hander so I got the two hander. It's pretty honkin. My main complaint it that it only has 2 and 3 minute auto timer and I would really like a 1 minute which I think it claims to have) for doing the OPI Axxium. Works very well.
UPDATE! 7 months later.
Axxium is too hard to take off so I've started using CND Shellac. FANTASTIC, but don't let them snow you that you need the "official" CND light. I use this bad boy and get two weeks of perfect wear out of my Shellac. Love this light. Also the OPI light is $200+ and you can only do 4 fingers at a time and thumb seperately. lame. LOVE THIS LIGHT
4242 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2010
I was fed up with my nail polish chipping, over acrylics so tried UV polish...loved it - nail polish that stays shiny and does not chip off for at least 2 weeks - what was not so appealing was the fact that it cost $40 plus tip locally!

After doing some research I decided to purchase the CND Shellac nail polish / base coat and top coat which require a UV lamp to set the colors. I paid $180 for all items - polish and lamp which is not bad, as by polish number 5 I will be saving my cash!

CND has an official lamp with a rather high price tag, so I saw this, reviews looked good so decided to give it a try!

It has three settings: 2 minutes, 3 minutes and constant. It also does come with the three bulbs it needs (be careful as they are tucked away in the box and I almost missed them!
It is a good size - you can fit two hands or two feet in at the same time so it allows you to complete your UV process much faster! Similar lamps tend to be smaller - and more expensive!

It works perfectly for these UV polish systems and set my color just fine with no need for a repeat cure. Your nails will feel tacky at the end of the process, but simply follow directions, wipe your nails with an alcohol pad and you will be good to go - the lamp does the trick perfectly.

If you are looking for a UV lamp to use with UV polish systems, this is a great choice - good price, several settings, and large enough to cut time off your mani's!

UPDATE: 4 years later this is still going strong, I have yet to replace a bulb -I use myabe 20 or or times a year for reference, so based on the price and the fact this this has stood up well over time; it is a great pick!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have now used it 5 times...and really appreciate that I can place 2 hands in at the same time. And it is not too big, so that I can place it in a cabinet when not in use.
on March 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
I'm not typically one to write a product review but I found all of the other reviews so helpful on this product - the reviews are the reason I chose this lamp.

I have used this lamp with the Shellac nail polish system and IT WORKS LIKE YOU GOT THEM DONE AT THE SALON! I have chosen this lamp with no regrets for the following reasons:
1. This lamp has enough watts to cure the Shellac polish - even more watts that some of the more expensive name brand lamps.
2. This lamp has enough room to cure your entire hand/foot or both hands/feet, including the thumbs - the name brands OPI and Brisa only have room for four fingers at a time and then your thumb by itself.
3. The price of this lamp is half the price of the name brand lamps.
4. This lamp is easy to use, it has a 2 minute setting, a 3 minute setting, and a continuous setting. (Shellac system uses the 2 minute setting.)

I recommend going to the Shellac website and printing off the instructions on how to use the nail polish with your lamp; the instructions include a last step after your top coat sealer requiring alcohol. I believe the instructions recommend using a 90% alcohol but I have used the $1 bottle of generic rubbing alcohol (70%?) at Wal-mart and it cures the nails just fine - they are not tacky after this last very important step.

I have not used any of the other brands of nail polish with this lamp - I am looking forward to trying the OPI Axxium and Harmony Gelish with it soon!
THIS LAMP WORKS WITH THE CDI SHELLAC NAIL POLISH SYSTEM!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2011
Verified Purchase
After much research, I decided to buy this UV lamp system. I did not want a lamp shipped from Hong Kong.
and I wanted a brand name. I saw this lamp sold on some nail websites for much more than the $60 some odd dollars it was here.

Some tips for using this with Gel Nails.
1. Always mix the bottles, I have had the nails flake off after about a week because the polish was not well mixed.

2. I use the Harmony / Gelish pH balance before I put the base coat on. This basically takes any moisture or oils out of your nail and makes them an acidic pH. Its cheap too

3. Gelish Basecoat , a very thin layer and dry for 1 to 2 min. This lamp does not have a one minute timer .... I wish it did

4. Polish Coat.... again a very thin layer and BE SURE to try and wrap the polish around to the top edge of your nail. This creates a seal and will cause less chipping. Be sure to dry for the full two mintues for each coat. Do a three minute dry if you are using a dark polish

5. Gelish Top Coat.... this bring you the shine you want. Super thin layers are key and wrap that top coat over the edge/ tip of your nail.

Hope this helps
on August 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
I don't know if anybody else has discovered this, but I find that the UV light helps "cure" regular nail polish into a much stronger, more durable prodouct. I was getting gels at the salon but, after repeated applications and removal, my nails were getting destroyed. I decided to take a break from the gels and noticed that my regular salon manicures were lasting way longer than my home manicures, even though I was using all the same products. The only difference: I dried my nails under a UV light with a fan at the salon. So, I bought this light for home use and -- Ureka -- my polished nails are lasting days longer, even when doing laundry and housework. I'm using the light (along with a small fan) to cure each step of the application: I put on two coats of base coat (OPI Nail Envy)and use the light/fan combo for a couple minutes, two coats of color (OPI)and use the light/fan for a couple minutes, finish with top coat(Seche)and use the light/fan again. The polish was totally dry and I immediately used my hands without fear of messing up the polish. The manicure is lasting a whole lot longer than it used to. I'm on day #5 without a chip, having done 8 loads of laundry and ironing. And believe me, my natural nails are tissue paper-thin.

I gave 4 out of 5 stars only because the bulb connections are pretty flimsy. I hope the light lasts. It's the same unit they use in the salon I go to, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2011
Verified Purchase
I agonized over whether to purchasea a U/V nail dryer or not. After reading many, many reviews, I narrowed down my choices to this dryer, the price had much to do with my decision. Yet, I ordered it with some doubts that it would work for my needs as I mainly wanted to "cure" regular nail polish rather than gel. I have many bottles of regular nail polish to use before making the big switch to Shellac, which I consider a little costly for me at the present time. Some of the reviews for this dryer stated that the dryer came without bulbs. I'm wondering if the people writing these reviews actually checked the box thoroughly, as the bulbs come separately bubble-wrapped and boxed under a layer of cardboard in the box with the dryer. I received three 18-watt bulbs, so this is a 54-watt dryer, a bit more powerful than what the product is described as. One review stated that the dryer is "flimsy" and cheaply made and that the bulbs keep falling out. The 3-prong bulbs must be fully inserted into their holders, there is no way they can fall out if properly installed. The dryer is very well made and I am expecting years of use. My regular nail polish dries perfectly. I start with 2 minutes each for the base coat and first coat, then increase the time to 3 minutes each for the second coat of color and the top coat. If a coat should go on a little thick, I dry it a second time just to make sure it's cured through. I get a couple of extra days out of my polish now, but I mainly wanted to speed up the drying process of regular nail polish, which this dryer does to my satisfaction. I would recommended this dryer.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
Dries nails quickly, works reliably, so far (have used it twice). Since I bought this unit for myself to use when doing my own nails, there never will be a time when I put both hands in at the same time. Although there is room enough for both hands, instructions indicate to dry 4 fingers at a time when applying gel nails (which tend to "run" or "pool" to the side if you do more than that before drying), so a "two hand" dryer such as this is over kill for gel nail use. What I like about it is that it DOES dry nails quickly and there is plenty of room in the cavity for hands, without hitting the sides and smearing or gouging the gel.

It has a timer on it that can be set for 2 or 3 minutes, or the lights can be set for indefinite "on". Usually, 2 minutes is enough to dry the gel nails, with 45w of bulb light! It is a very nice feature.

Mechanically, it is a pretty simple piece of equipment. The only question I have is where to buy replacement UV bulbs if and when they are needed. The lamps provided were packaged very securely, everything was packaged so as to ensure minimal possibility of breakage, and arrived in good shape.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2011
This UV light is amazing for gelish nail polish. When I first received this machine I thought it was defective because the lights kept cutting off but you just have to make sure the lights are pushed in all the way and it may take a little bit of force. I decided I didnt want to spend $70 every two weeks to get gelish mani and pedi, so i decided to get this thermal spa and gelish nail polish to do it myself, I just looked at a youtube video and now i'm doing my as well as a few family members nails and toes. Awesome UV light, highly recommended, june bride and bronzed are my favorite gelish colors. Hope this was helpful ladies

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations