5.0 out of 5 stars great alternative to an external enclosure

1.0 out of 5 stars Solid, until it failed twice
Published on May 13, 2009 by Brian J. West

5.0 out of 5 stars great alternative to an external enclosure, March 25, 2009
Brad (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station (Personal Computers)
Works great. On e-sata, it is every bit as fast as if it was internally installed. I haven't used the USB interface, but it is probably quite a bit slower. My hard drives run barely warm to the touch. The eject button is really only there to help you pull it out. It works best for me to grab the drive and pull while pressing the button. The dock holds on to the drive pretty tightly, and if you eject the drive by simply pressing the eject button without holding/pulling the drive itself, it could easily pop completely out and fall on the desk or the floor. Falling isn't particularly great for hard drives, even if it is only a few inches.

This is SO much more useful than an enclosed external hard drive if you need several. Bare hard drives are a lot cheaper than the ones built into enclosures. They are very easy to install in this dock. It works a lot like putting an iPod into a dock, but this is a lot more robust. I use several hard drives in my computer. I have music on one, movies and recorded TV on another, etc., to keep all of that kind of stuff off my main drive. I have a couple more I use as backups. I put them in an antistatic bag and in my fire safe.

Some reviewers have commented about how it says it works up to 1TB or 1.5 TB. If yours says it works up to 1TB, it is only because you got an older printing of the box. When the box was printed, the largest drives commonly available were 1 TB. Now they have changed the box and the web site to say 1.5 TB. They only changed the box, not the product. I'm not sure why they put the "up to X.X TB" in there. Now drives are up to 2 TB, and they will all work with this as long as the BIOS and the OS in your PC will work with them. When they say "up to X.X TB", it leads people to believe that anything bigger won't work, but it will. This thing doesn't have a controller chip with a bios in it, just a simple straight through connection for the sata, and a simple bus bridge chip for USB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dual boot, extra storage, fast, and accessible. I love it..., October 8, 2008
John E. Pombrio (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great device for a bunch of reasons:
1. Backup. Using Acronis True Image 11 home, I can clone the drive in an hour. Put it off site and a bulletproof backup.
2. Reinstalling the operating system. I just reinstalled Vista (use it full time now that SP1 is out). I put my old Vista drive in the Blacx and could pull any info I needed right off the drive.
3. Booting different operating systems. I have three hard drives with different operating systems on them, Vista, XP , and Linux. I used to have them all in my PC but was afraid of a catastrophic failure (due mostly to me- I am a menace to my poor computer!). Now I can keep the drives out of the PC but insert and boot from them at any time. Just change the order of the boot hard drive in the BIOS.
4. Extra storage. Nice to be able to dump a bunch of older stuff into a drive. Keeps my boot drive clean and the access is there when I need it.
Cons? Not many. My WD drives run a little hot in the BlacX when booting from it. The power cord to the box is pretty short. You need to have an ESATA port on your PC (or in my case, and adapter and change the port in the BIOS).
Speed? On the ESATA, I notice NO speed slowdowns when booting from a drive in the BlacX in comparison to an internal SATA hard drive. They got it right with ESATA.
Clever engineering, works fine, easy to use, 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, But Cables Are Too Short, September 4, 2008
Functionally, I have no problem with this hard disk docking station. Loading and unloading drives is very easy and requires no special drive rails. Because the drive aren't fully enclosed as they would be in a standard drive enclosure, they run fairly cool. Surprisingly, (since the drives are not fully enclosed) there doesn't seem to be any more drive noise than with a regular enclosure. The only fault I can find is that the cables are too short. Both the eSATA cable and the power cable are only about 3 and 1/2 feet long. That's just not long enough. Three and a half feet is just barely long enough to reach from the eSATA port on the back of my computer to my desktop. Likewise, it's just barely enough to reach from there to my UPS. Unless the top of your computer is fully accessible and that's where you plan to keep the enclosure (and it's close to your power supply), you need to be aware of this. I can understand 3.5 feet for the length of an eSATA cable. But, the power cable should be at least twice that. Because of the cable length issue, I'm knocking off one star and giving this Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Docking Station a Very Good four stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have 3..., July 18, 2009
These Thermaltakes are awesome.

- Why do I have 3? Juggling collections of data from different projects is way easy when you can just move them from one plug-in drive to another, without using your computer drives.

- Throw your tape drive & tapes away: you can get huge, fast 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drives for under 100 bucks. You can Truecrypt the entire plug-in drive and then you have secure backup.

- This is also a way-better, cheaper, and more reliable way of using extra external drives versus proprietary cartridge systems.

- You don't need the absolute best drives if you are just using them for backup, because they are not going to be running 24x7 inside a hot enclosed computer or laptop case. I like to get decent and fast drives, but for backup purposes you can go with 5400rpm if you want to save a few bucks.

- Before I got my first Thermaltake, I was putting 2.5" drives into external enclosures, which are good if you are really carrying them around a lot, but now I just use the naked drives.

- You can store 10 2.5" drives in a plastic index-card box. I label each drive, and then put it in a snack-size plastic ziploc bag, and then into the index-card box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Solid, until it failed twice, May 13, 2009
I really liked this unit until it failed after two months of usage. I used it to make a weekly backup onto two different hard drives. The unit worked well until one day it simply would not power up. To Thermaltake's credit they sent a replacement very quickly. However, the replacement unit would not mount up necessitating a second round of shipping and replacing. Works well, but having to replace the unit twice is a serious problem for my work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed power switch here too, February 19, 2011
I like the unit but after 4 months, my power switch went bad as well. Have a temporary clamp on it (tape didn't work as some said) but will RMA in the hopes it was just a bad one. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent item, but dont mistake its purpoe, December 20, 2010
Hard drive docks are often really poor quality, but not this one. It works reliably and well. The only thing you need to know is that this is not meant for long term use. Internal hard drives are extremely sensitive to power problems and devices this small do not have good power regulators (your computer's power supply does), long term use may destroy your hard drive (the data would still be on the disc, but the controller would be fried). Use this for backups and other short term use, but do not act like this can be substitute internal SATA port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome external docking base for SATA hard drives, September 27, 2009
I'm a slob when it comes to having proper storage. I have a stack of hard drives in a desk drawer that are labeled, and I really didn't want to dedicate the money and time into putting them into nice external enclosures OR have to power down my desktop and plug my drive in. So I saw this docking station and thought it'd be worth giving a try.

I was really impressed - over eSATA and USB (nice for my Mac), I can drop a 1.5TB drive in and have it recognized without a problem. The drive feels like it snaps into place and makes a reassuring clicking sound so I know that the drive is in and I can power it up. And when I'm done backing up files, I unmount the drive (you do click "safely remove", don't you?), power it down, wait a minute just in case, and then place the drive back in storage. The nice eject button is powerful and I don't have to worry about getting a drive stuck.

Right now, I use my docking station to use Microsoft SyncToy (free) to backup a hard drive filled with my photos and videos (I'm an amateur photographer.) I'd literally cry if I lost my photos and documents, so I bought two 1 TB drives and have backups of my data (one's kept at the office, as my "offsite backup.")

When I first thought about getting this, I read all the reviews and they all said that it's "that easy." Now, having spent 20 years in IT, nothing that claims to be "that easy" ever is. Well, this is. I'm rather happy with this and it makes data backups that much easier to do (if it's easier, then I'll do it more.)

So, pick one of these up, buy a big hard drive (since the price keeps plummeting) and start to backup your data. Trust me: The cost of backing up your data is cheap when compared to the stress lost data will cause.

1.0 out of 5 stars Went through two, both failed, February 7, 2011
Really wanted to like this unit since it would save me a bunch of hassle when doing offsite backups.

The unit worked fine with USB, but when using eSATA, my drive would fail to format about halfway though the format. I formatted the drive via USB and then then hooked it back up via eSATA and the file copy failed after a few minutes. I tried a different eSATA cable and had the same problem. I put the drive into an eSATA drive enclosure and the drive formatted and copied several hundred gigs with no problem, so it wasn't my eSATA port. Returned the Thermaltake docking station for another and had the exact same problem. Returned the second for a refund. At least Amazon's exchange process was easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inexpensive SATA / USB docking station for hard drives, August 13, 2009
I use this as a much cheaper alternative to the standard external hard drive - which has a bunch of extra cost built in for a fancy casing. This dock allows you to plug in any SATA hard drive and connect it directly to the computer via eSATA or USB. I've been using it for about 7 months, and it works flawlessly. I keep it off until I want to back up my data to save heat and wear on my drive. Simply turn it on, the computer recognizes it, and I copy the files over. It couldn't be easier.

This is the nicest looking and easiest use external enclosure I've ever used. If you can insert a CD into a drive, you can use this.

Thermaltake  BlacX eSATA  USB Docking Station