5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beds
Published on June 29, 2011 by Justin Michels

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, Just average comfort for me...
Either some of the 5-star reviewers here have low expectations from a bulky, expensive portable mattress used "in the wild" or Thermarest has done an excellent job of promoting that "halo" on their brand. I can't give this 5 stars but admittedly, I can't quite figure out how to rationalize the 3 solid stars I think it's worth.

The build quality of this mattress...
Published on June 17, 2012 by RT

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beds, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Thermarest Luxury Map Air Mattress, Blue (Sports)
This isn't for backpacking. This is for convenience camping. I backpack, and wouldn't take this unless doing an easy one nighter. It's pretty big for a mat, but it's worth it. It's extremely comfortable. I slept great on it. I even had a friend sleep on it at my house once, he thought it was great. This is a big hit for me, as my family doesn't want to do a hardcore trips. So when I'm with the family I can sleep in ultimate comfort on this pad. It self inflates and only needed a few quick puffs to fill it up to 4".

If you're a car camper, get this you won't need another pad ever. If you're a backpacker look for other models this one is too big and bulky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable!, November 16, 2010
James Rose (Marysville, WA) - See all my reviews
Cascades Designs gave me this pad in exchange for another one I had which had developed leaks due to a defect. **Kudos to Cascades Designs for their warranty!**
My previous pad, a Therm-a-Rest Luxury Camp, had a fleece top. It was OK, but I think this new pad has it beat. It has a very soft, almost t-shirt like material on top. It seems less prone to collecting bits of dirt, hair and other stuff that gets tracked into tents.
This pad is also thicker than the other. Not only is it more comfortable, but it soaks up uneven ground a little better. Missed a pine cone when clearing the spot for your tent? Shouldn't be an issue with this mat.
It took a while to inflate the first time, but now it easily inflates on it's own. I store it inflated as per Cascade Design's suggestion, so that helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, Just average comfort for me..., June 17, 2012
RT (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews

The build quality of this mattress is excellent. It does self inflate and only requires 2-3 good puffs to get it really full if you like things firm. (I have the large which is 30" wide). But even with no puffs I find it just too firm and can't quite find that sweet spot where it's soft enough to be comfortable yet firm enough to handle the pressure points of a side sleeper.

Before using mine I inflated it for a few days. It's a pain in the arse to deflate for packing. (Yeah, I do the "fold" thing as prescribed). Eventually, I get mine into the 30" x 7" stuff sack. This is no surprise and I'm not downgrading it for that. It just makes you wonder what niche market Thermarest is catering to. All of these Luxury Map mattresses regardless of size are way too big for backpacking and If you car camp where size/weight isn't a big issue... why not take something with you that gives you even more comfort? (And I wouldn't want to roll this mattress out at home for a guest. I think I could do better than that).

So, after sleeping on this thing a half dozen times now, I question why the heck I just didn't buy a half a dozen cheap air mattresses that would give me 8" of loft and a felt flocked topper. Much more comfort flexibility, they're wider and mimic your home mattress more so than a 3" pad. (until they leak!). Plus, a twin sized air mattress will pack up much smaller than this even with a pump. (but weigh more of course). Again, the Thermarest mattress is not really that "portable".

I dunno. I look at all the glowing praises here, scratch my head and ask myself if I'm sleeping on it wrong. I don't think so. I know everyone's sleeping habits are different and we all get different results depending on what we sleep on at home. (I come from a normal no frills bed). But everyone else here seems to be subjectively rating it on personal comfort so I'll do the same; it's just too firm for *me*. And before anyone says, "What did you expect, it's only a 3" mattress?" well... I read the reviews. :)

Don't get me wrong... again, the build quality is great, the valves are solid and it *will* keep your arse from scraping the tent floor... you just won't know if this works for your body until you get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermarest luxury map XL, April 10, 2010
Fantastic mattress - extremely comfortable. I find that it is sufficient to merely let the mattress inflate by itself and doesn't need any additional air input.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Hate Camping Anymore!, July 6, 2012
I purchased the Thermarest Luxury Map XL size in a last-ditch effort to see if I would have to hate camping for the rest of my adult life. As a child, I loved to camp. But I have hated camping for quite a while because I never slept well-- I was always too cold, the ground was too hard, and I always slid off my mattress. Not a problem anymore!

I put this pad to the test the last week of June on a cool night in the mountains of Utah-- about 45 degrees. First of all, on the extra-large mattress I did not slide off once! Hooray! Also, in spite of being a side sleeper, I did not wake up with sore hips or shoulders, and I could not feel the lumpy ground under me! Incredible! Finally, I was warm and cozy all night long (though my new sleeping bag may have had more to do with that). I actually woke up rested and wishing we could camp another night. That has never happened to me since about age 12. When I bought this pad, I really wondered if the money would be worth it. But now I am glad I spent the money because I can camp with confidence now-- a good night's sleep makes for a great campout! Hooray, Thermarest!

When I first got the pad, I unrolled it in my air-conditioned living room and it didn't 'self inflate' at all. So I put it outside in the hot sun for about twenty minutes and that did the trick. A few puffs of air and it was totally inflated. I left it fully inflated for about two days before deflating it and packing it for my camping trip (apparently this is standard procedure for new mattresses- leave them inflated for a couple of days and they'll self-inflate better). On the trip, the pad self-inflated within about thirty minutes, with only a couple extra breaths of air-- then at night I had to let some air out to make it the right firmness for my taste. No trouble at all. I appreciated that it comes with a storage sack. I didn't have any trouble fitting the pad into the sack, rolling the pad and kneeling on it as I rolled it up to help push the air out.

That said, the XL size is definitely big, and not what you want if you are backpacking (you could knock down trees with it hanging off your pack, it is so wide). But since I am not a backpacker this works great for me. I'm glad I spent the money. Now I can enjoy camping like I did when I was a kid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for camping, June 3, 2011
We didn't really have that high expectations for these pads, since prior to buying them we slept on a pretty comfortable queen sized air mattress when we were camping (we needed something different because we couldn't fit our baby's mattress in the tent with the air mattress). Boy, were we surprised! We found these even more comfortable than an air mattress, even though they are not as wide as we would like. They inflated fairly quickly (a couple hours the first time, then quicker when we took them camping), stayed clean, and let us sleep well in the tent.

We didn't sleep directly on top of them, though- we had a tarp under the tent, then some foam pads (the interlocking ones they sell to cover your garage floor), then the Thermarest pads with a sleeping bag spread on top. We did not really feel the need for the kit to hook them together, we only ended up with a couple inches space between us which the sleeping bag covered fine.

The only things we didn't like was how expensive they are, and that they are supposed to be stored unfolded. When we save up some more money, we hope to buy another- it would be great for our child to sleep on also, and would exactly fit the width of our Coleman 3-person tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in the USA, May 22, 2013
Nick D. "zero2hide" (Fort Collins, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermarest Luxury Map Air Mattress, Blue (Sports)
I know that it's important for many of you to find US made products so I thought I'd help you out right off the bat!

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty comfortable, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Thermarest Luxury Map Air Mattress, Blue (Sports)
This wasn't as comfortable as the ALPS pad I got for my husband, but it felt pretty good after 2 nights of camping. I could feel the ground when I sat up, but not when I was laying down. The surface is a little slippery so I'd recommend getting the sheet that goes with it. I just ordered it.

4.0 out of 5 stars body Map deluxe Thermarest, June 20, 2012
Great sleeping pad for car camping, would've given it 5 stars however 2 semi-issues: 1)the valve should be placed at your feet so you don't roll onto w/your head or have it under your wrist/hand if you sleep that way.
2) lack of compressibilty: I suppose a good tradeoff for how thick and supportive it is. I store them under (I bought two, one reg., one lg.)my bed at home, inflated.
Very comfy! I like the large one for myself (5'10"+) should've just bought two but my gf is much smaller so I went w/the reg. for her. We camped at Bonnaroo Music Festival and were very comfy all weekend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Queen Size inflatable mattress!, July 20, 2013
Nancy Nurse (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
I was VERY skeptical about switching from an inflatable mattress to a "camping pad..." So I went to a store to try them out before buying. After trying a variety of pads and types from Thermarest and other manufacturers, the "Luxury Map Air Mattress" was the one that seemed like it would work for me (even over the ones designed 'for a woman's body'). We went camping last weekend and it was FABULOUS -I've been converted! Previously my husband and I would share a queen-sized air mattress and although it was cushy, if either one of us moved around, the other would wake up (think of the old waterbeds...). No problem any more!

The only thing to keep in mind is that these really are for "base camp"/car camping -they are not very small (and are actually bigger to store and pack than the queen air mattress). My husband and son got the standard base camp model and were happy with that model.

Thermarest Luxury Map, Blue, Large