Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Size: Petite 4" x 17" - Auto SwitchChange

on December 1, 2007
This is our second Thermophore 14 x 27, first one lasted about ten years or so, and we liked it enough to replace right away.

With temperatures up around 165 degrees, this will get in deep to your muscles and joints. A few rounds of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off will work wonders.

One of the best features is that this pad is weighted all over with many flat metal weights that make it conform to your body for great contact and heat transfer.

Use with caution and read the instruction manual for warnings. See the Thermophore web site for more details.

Seems a bit expensive compared to standard heating pads, but it's in a class by itself and worth the investment.

Note, Don't be confused by the "Automatic" wording, it has a hand operated normally OFF switch. The Automatic refers to the moist heat since you don't have to wet it at all.

They now make the same unit with an automatic timer shut off switch if you might like that better than the manual switch that this one has. This one you have to hold the switch down to keep it hot, that way if you doze off it shuts it off.
The other is called "Automatic" with "Automatic switch"

BTW, the shipping service by 'The Therapy Connection at HPMS, Inc' was outstanding and it arrived in just a few days time. I'm sure that can vary, but my order shipped fast!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2011
I bought my thermophore eight months ago. I always took care of it, and thought of it as a valuable investment --in terms of money, but also because it is very useful in my medical care.

It worked very well... at first. Then it started to warm less and less. Till one day, it warmed no more.

I did not worry. The manual stated that the manufacturer stood behind their products and that they had a shop in US soil full of workers willing to fix their products for free if under warranty, or repair them for $30 if past warranty.

My thermophore was well within its warranty period. I sent it well packed with a copy of my original receipt.

I was then, in shock, when I received a form letter that informed that my warranty did not apply because my thermophore had been manufactured over three years ago. Yet at least as far as a consumer can tell, the date of manufacture is not written anywhere in the original box, its manual, or the device itself. And, if the device spent over three years in an Amazon warehouse, is that reason to declare a product ineligible for warranty coverage?

Why was this requirement never documented anywhere in the manual, in the warranty text, or the website of the manufacturer? And what about that $30 offer to fix the thermophore? I was instead, offered to be charged $40 instead.

Needless to say a disappointment! This company and its product might have at some point manufactured excellent products, but seems that the pernicious temptation to destroy customer loyalty by saving a few bucks has seeped in...

This is a manufacturer in decline. Look elsewhere for a good heating pad.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2008
I've been looking for a heating pad that would actually get hot enough to do some good, after waisting my money on several of them that claimed to be the best I finally found one. Thermophore Moist Heating Pad is absolutely the best I've every used. I just wish they would make one that gets this hot in an automatic version.
on April 6, 2006
I cannot recommend the quality of this heat highly enough. It's a convenient way to get moist heat into the muscles, and the size of this pad (14x27) covers the entire back and hips. There is no temperature adjustment. The pad is either on or off, and is designed for short heat treatments. Therefore, it has a switch you actually hold to keep it on. The 170 degree heat is far hotter than other heating pads, however, meaning you only need the heat treatment for a short duration to receive the benefits. I use this heating pad in my massage therapy office, and I highly recommend it for home use as well.
on March 6, 2008
Definitely much better than any other heating pad I have used as nothing is able to match this amount of heat. I'm not fond of the manual switch and I use a small strap to keep the switch down.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2010
Very confusing.

I ordered the automatic switch and received what is apparently a manual switch. You have to hold the switch down or it turns off.

The box clearly states Automatic switch yet the manual clearly states that it is a manual momentary switch.

I also bought mine through who Amazon lists as DAB which turned out to be Potential Dynamix LLC.

Also what I received was an open box, which was quite worn looking, was literally open and there no shrink wrap or tape. The end of the box was crushed yet Amazon had shipped it an oversized box so they had to have tossed this obviously worn, not sealed box as the lid was 1/2 way open.

I was told by customer service that if I wanted a brand new unit I should buy it from not from a 3rd party with fulfillment by very confusing to me, I assumed that fullfillment by meant I would receive a new product in a factory sealed box. Apparently not the case. Also as this is a personal use item I would think it would be illegal to sell such used!

I have not experience with how this heating pad works as I am not going to handle it unless I have a new one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The pad is gently warm in one minute, and reaches maximum heat within 3 to 5 minutes.
With the pad laying on top the body it gets very warm, the pause and/or off button turns off heat at any point.
The instructions say to not lay on the pad. When I tried laying my leg on top the pad, the captured heat was intensely uncomfortable.

Curious how hot?
> 1. I laid a candy thermometer between pad & body = 123 degrees.
> 2. Pad wrapped around thermometer = 140 degrees.
(Customer service says it can get up to 160 degrees if trapping heat by laying on it)
> 3. Pad wrapped around thermometer, with blanket on top = 162 degrees.

The pads moist heat penetrates tissue and joints which is very effective in giving remarkable relief.
I purchased this to help with a knee injury and experienced improved mobility and less aches and pain
starting from the first time of use. (Two 20 minute sessions)
I felt the treatments alleviated soreness and jump started a healing process,
because the area was still dramatically more limber the next day.

> 1. The 100% cotton cover is specifically designed to absorb moisture from the atmosphere between uses
and release the moisture during heat activation. The moisture is obviously present because skin or clothing becomes slightly damp.

> 2. Auto Switch ~ Small red light stays continually on to show it's plugged in properly ~ Aids finding switch in the dark.
Switch has a bar of four blinking lights ~ one bar per 5 minutes. A light becomes solid with each 5 minutes used.
Automatically turns off in 20 minutes. (Much nicer to use then Thermophore's 'Classic switch' (in their red boxes)
which must be continually held down to heat)
There's no control of heat settings, such as high - med - low. And no way to have it stay on continually.
I phoned customer service to ask them why the product is designed this way, they said ~ safety reasons.
Because it gets very warm/hot to provide good therapy, as hot as 160 degrees if covered or laid on top of,
it can be harmful to a person ~ burns. And dangerous ~ electric shock and/or fire.

> 3. Large pad (14" x 27") is weighted construction so it drapes better over the body. Pad with cover weights 2.12 lb.

> 4. Latex free ~ On the box it says "contains no chemicals". Instructions booklet under warnings says
"This product contains chemicals which are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm".

> 5. Made in U.S.A. Two year warranty from date of purchase, but if don't have receipt, 3 year warranty from date of manufacturing.
Costumer service says they don't use reconditioned products, all replacements are new.
A sticker on the end of the box contains the 3 digit model #, the middle 4 numbers are the manufacturing date.
The first two # stand for which of 52 weeks of the year ~ the last two stand for the year. So 5113 = Dec 2013.

This is an outstanding product in both high end quality and effectiveness.
Suggested ~ effective uses for this moist heat, heating pad ~ arthritis pain ~ back pain ~ fibromyalgia ~ TMJ ~
muscle spasms ~ chronic pain ~ and speeding the recovery of injury's.

I found this #155 at out local medical supply store for $102.95 plus tax.
I was delighted to purchase it on Amazon for less ($63.88 & free S&H)
on February 5, 2009
Comparing this pad to an ordinary drugstore pad is like comparing a rowboat to a battleship. I became aware of this product by visiting a friend who said to me "you are walking as if you are really in pain". I acknowledged that I was and he said "try this". Within 15 minutes I was searching for one for me on my phone internet browser while I was still using has pad...if you like a deep heat on your sore shoulders, don't even hesitate.
You will notice that the information says it has a "trigger" switch you have to hold down to have the unit on. Trust me, within 3 minutes you will understand and appreciate that switch.
Simply, it's more money, but it is worth it.
on August 16, 2010
The heating pad is really a nice size; I have never seen such a large heating pad! The cover is very nice and is washable. The switch takes a little getting use to, one has to hold it down, and that does get tiring, so I put a rubber band around it, and when it gets too hot I release it. I would recommend a switch with different levels for heating, like my small heating pad I now own. One can set it on "1", set it on "2" for different heat levels. Had the switch been different, I would have rated it as a "5"............
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2007
Simply put, you won't know how you lived without it. The relief is virtually INSTANT. It heats up rocket fast with automatic moist heat that has been cranking like brand new for years. I own two myself and have purchased many others as gifts for friends/relatives. There is no way you will be disappointed. The cover is thick and quality-made and washes up beautifully.

The only issue you might have is the hand control. You must depress constantly for the pad to continue to heat (this is a safety in case you fall asleep). Keep in mind that once this comes to the heat level you like, it will maintain that heat for at least 5-10 minutes even when you stop depression However, they now make them without this feature so really, there's nothing negative here.