1,531 Reviews
 (1,181)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Damn One Handed Thermos on the market.
Published on December 24, 2007 by Dr. Jeffry Luria

3.0 out of 5 stars Functionally superb, but built to break
I rate it 5 stars for performance, but one star for reliability

This is simply the best coffee mug available. It is so awesome that I am about to buy my fifth one, even though the last four broke at the hinge. The hinge is attached at only one point, and it is very fragile.

This mug is the best one on the market because:

- It is totally...
Published on December 30, 2005 by Jack Horton

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Damn One Handed Thermos on the market., December 24, 2007
Dr. Jeffry Luria (Central Bridge, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermos 16-Ounce Stainless-Steel Backpack Bottle, Silver (Kitchen)
This is a first, so I'm glad to be reviewing this product which makes it easy. I have tested (and yes, bought-just ask my wife) well over a dozen various insulated containers for use in the car. No I'm not one of those people who walk around constantly drinking (or hydrating). I use it almost exclusively in my car. It's simple, I want the liquid to stay hot, I want to be able to operate it with one hand, and I don't want it to spill or leak. This is the only product that does that and it does it well. I have given it as a gift to at least a half dozen people and since they are relatives there's no more critical an audience. They agree. Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than sliced bread, April 7, 2008
I've been using this bottle for years. This time I bought 4 of them, two for me and two for co-workers. Mine is a replacement for one lost plus a backup. As a professional driver it's handy to have a spill-proof container for hot coffee that can be handled with one hand. A button press flips the spring loaded lid back revealing a perfectly shaped sipping lip. It's easy to flip the gasket lined lid back with a flick of your finger thus sealing the bottle against leaks.

Did I mention that the double walled insulated body keeps hot liquids hot and cold liquids cold for hours while keeping the outside comfortable to hold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functionally superb, but built to break, December 30, 2005
I rate it 5 stars for performance, but one star for reliability

This mug is the best one on the market because:

- It is totally leakproof, even when holding beer under pressure. Every other mug I've tried leaks. This one does not.

- The cap locks shut. You can put it in your luggage without fear of leaks

- It is slim, but it holds a full pint. You can carry it in a bicycle bottle cage

- You can operate it with one hand

- The sip lip saves you from burning yourself on hot liquids.

- It insulates so well that you can buy hot coffee the night before, and drink warm coffee the next morning.

- There are no hidden recesses. You can wash every surface.

The designer must have deliberately built it to break. That is the only way I can explain this fatal flaw of an otherwise marvelous design.

I'll overlook the unreliability of this mug and keep replacing it when it breaks. As soon as a competitor makes a reliable mug with the functionality of this one, then I am switching. I'm feeling quite abused by this design that is built to break.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow Hot the next day !!!, March 18, 2011
SheenL (San Antonio TX) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:29 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome mug, May 11, 2007
C. E. Jones (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I got this mug because I wanted to carry my coffee in my briefcase without it leaking while at the same time I wanted to be able to take a quick sip. I've had this mug for several years now, and it has worked perfectly. It keeps the coffee hot for a long time, it has never leaked, and it is simple to pop open the lid and take a quick sip.

A regular thermos is leak-proof and keeps the coffee hot for a long time, but to take a drink you have to unscrew two lids and pour out some coffee. I'd hate to try pouring on the bus or train during my morning commute! When considering this mug, I went around to various stores to see what was available, and this was the only one that so nicely combined the properties of a thermos with those of an easy-to-drink mug. Starbucks, for example, offered a mug that was probably almost leakproof, but I did not want to perform this experiment in my briefcase next to my lap top!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT leak - perfect for 2 Starbucks VIA, March 5, 2012
Roger Lee (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
To all the people who have said that this thermos leaks. Please direct your attention to the raised circular ridge inside the neck of the thermos. Now look at the bottom of the lid. Do you see a black rubber gasket? That gasket seals against the raised metal ridge. If you do not see a gasket, your thermos will leak. If you fill the thermos over the metal ridge, your thermos will also leak. For those who have lost their gasket, broken their lids, etc, call 1-800-831-9242 (Thermos customer support) and you can order replacements for very reasonable prices. Personally I love this backpack bottle. It holds 2 Starbucks VIA perfectly, keeps them hot a LONG time and NO IT DOESN'T LEAK.

The Thermos Nissan 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Insulated Travel Tumbler on the other hand DOES leak http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-18-Ounce-Stainless-Steel-Insulated/dp/B0000639WN/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1330975024&sr=8-16

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, I finally found it!, April 25, 2007
This is a super product! I take mine everywhere - in the summer it's great for ice coffee and in the winter I use it for hot coffee. I've had mine for about 6 months and use it 3-4 times a week. I love being able to drink from the bottle and not fooling around with lids and cups etc. It goes to class with me - lying flat in a briefcase and has never spilled a drop.

If you need a small thermos with built in drink spout this is IT! Oh and if you need something bigger I also bought the Nissan Thermos and it keeps things hot for over 24 hours... holds ice for days... I am so impressed.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips from a long-term owner/user, December 13, 2012
I have used one of these Nissan Thermos bottles for over 8 years for both hot and cold liquids and I can honestly say that I have never used a finer product. I have noticed a lot of comments about leaking so I thought that I would throw out a few things that I have learned over the years. I am going to assume that the newer ones made in China are made as well as the older ones.

My usage conditions have been in a old car where the bottle flies around as there are no cup holders, airplanes, backpacks, foreign countries, metal shop, sculpture shop, office, outdoors, etc. I have not been easy on my Thermos and it has hit the ground many times. So hopefully these tips will help.

1. As pointed out by others, make sure that you do NOT overfill the Thermos. Make sure that it is below the "bulge" in the metal.
2. If you want to keep your hot drink REALLY hot, preheat the Thermos with boiling water. Caution: you may end up burning your tongue.
3. Cleaning is REALLY important especially if you are using milk, sugar or the like. I have found that one sure way to get leaks is to let the gasket that goes around the cap get too dirty. Periodically, GENTLY take it off and clean off any built up debris. Use a toothbrush or the like to clean in the ridges and on the lid itself. If need be use your fingernail to get off anything that seems lodged. Don't worry about any staining, it won't affect the performance or cause leakage. While your at it, removed the silicon piece connected to the flip portion and wash it too. Give the lid a good washing and let everything dry out. If your stainless has become stained, denture cleaner works wonders or anything else that you would use to clean out a coffee pot.
4. When you replace the parts that you have cleaned make sure that they are re-seated properly.
5. When you screw on the top, make sure that everything was dry so that you don't prevent the seal from sealing. And twist on snugly. I am usually listening for a squeekish sort of sound. When it slides way to easily, I clean everything per step 3.
6. Inspect the gaskets periodically. I am sure that they can break, although I am still using my original ones without problems.
7. For Nissan reps if you are reading this - make replacement parts readily available- this should be the entire top, the round gasket and the top gasket . These used to be available and I have never needed one but if I do, the green thing is to replace parts, not the entire Thermos. Please make the parts available together and separately at a reasonable price.

I hope that this helps. If I have missed something or it isn't clear I am happy to help.

Liz

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls short in design (this thing leaks!), October 4, 2012
I bought this thermos about a month ago. Before I get into the pro's and con's, I want to address the leaking issue. Yes, I followed the instructions by never overfilling and always washing by hand. As a mechanical engineer, I like to see when products are designed with sound principles. Unfortunately, this Thermos falls short.

As can be seen from the pictures, there are two pliable "nipples" that seal the drinking hole and vent at the top of the lid. These work very well. The main problem is the interface between the whole lid assembly and the stainless steel body. The lid is threaded onto the body. However, the actually sealing is provided by a beveled (sloped) gasket on the lid that presses against a matching beveled lip on the inside of the stainless body. The threads do not provide the actual sealing. They merely provide the "clamping motion" that presses a sloped gasket against sloped metal lip. This is a flawed design on multiple levels:

1) The amount that the gasket can compress onto the lip is limited by the threads. Therefore, if the threads "bottom out", the gasket cannot be compressed further. This principle should be reversed. The amount the lid can be tightened should be limited by the gasket compression (ie. the lid should be tight and become hard to turn when the gasket is compressed, NOT because we "ran out" of threads). This is likely why other users that report leaking do not see improvement by further tightening the lid.
2) You are relying on the tolerances of the manufacturer to provide a "just right" seal. If the lip, threads, lid, stainless body, or any combination thereof are slightly off, it results in a variation between thermoses. And due to Point #1, you cannot "over tighten" the lid to compensate for these tolerances. Products that require a tight tolerance (why should a thermos ever require a tight tolerance?) are more sensitive to variations. Therefore, leaking cannot be solely attributed to user error.

I cannot understand why Thermos chose to design their lid like this. There are plenty of consumer products that utilize a simple threaded lid that is more forgiving, cheaper to manufacture, and most importantly, LEAKPROOF (think Nalgene bottles, water bottles, any bottle really...).

Now, onto the pro's and con's:
Pro's:
-Keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold, just as advertised. Despite the claims of leaks vs no leaks of other reviews, there is no denying that this Thermos is very effective as an insulator.
-The pop top lid works wonderfully and is very convenient. There is also a metal latch that keeps the lid from accidently popping open.

Con's:
-It leaks (see above)
-Does not clean easily. The unnecessarily complicated lid has nooks and crannies behind the seal. If the lid did not leak, the contents would not find its way back there, but since it does leak, they do... Also, the unit is not dishwasher safe. Again, this would not be a problem if the Thermos did not leak.
-The lid collects stains and scents. This Thermos is used exclusively for coffee, and in the few weeks that I've had it, any plastic/silicone in contact with the coffee has noticeable discoloration and smells. Since this is mostly superficial and doesn't influence the efficacy of the Thermos, I do not mind so much.

Until I find a leak-proof travel mug, I will continue to use but lament this Thermos. I learned the hard way that since this Thermos isn't leak proof, I cannot place it in my briefcase during my morning commute. I must carry it with me, and since coffee will continue to dribble down the side even during a spirited walk, I carry a napkin with me to wipe my hands. When I arrive at my office, it does supply me with piping hot coffee well into the afternoon. However, due to the flawed lid design, I cannot recommend it as a "Backpack Bottle" but rather as a "Very well insulated mug". Does anyone have any suggestions?

4.0 out of 5 stars From 95 to 62 degrees after 12 hours, August 1, 2013
I received my bottle and tested it...
1) preheated the sealed bottle with boiling hot water for 10 minutes.
2) emptied and poured new boiling water for the test (measured the temp at 95.5 deg with a kitchen thermometer)
3) exactly 12 hours later, measured the temp again which registered 62.2 deg.
4) tried sipping the water slowly and almost burnt my tongue...62.2 deg is still uncomfortably hot!!!!

So there you have the measured test and the "perceived" temp test. Not sure if that's within the specs.

Ergonomically, the design is quite good. Liquids dribble out just enough for a comfortable drinkiing speed--can't gulp unless you unscrew the top. The button to open is a bit hard to press but that's ok, i'll get used to it for sure.

Sealwise, I turned it almost vertical for about 30 minutes and found no leaks. After the 12-hour test, the bottle was somewhat difficult to twist open which suggests a suction effect due to the contracted air inside--another sign of good sealing.

I take off one star because of a few reasons:
1) the bottom and top feel like flimsy plastic. Hopefully I don't drop this like a few of the reviewers here. I would have paid a buck more for an all-stainless bottom.
2) there is also an area underneath the lid that would be difficult to clean but if you're just using it for water, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would look into the zojirushi equivalent of this product if that's important to you. That has a top that could be fully disassembled and cleaned. The only reasons I opted out of that wwere the higher price and they didn't have it in stainless finish.

Overall, imperfections aside, this appears to be a good bottle.