I enjoy using this bottle a lot. I was initially looking for the 22oz E5 bottle, but it was out of stock everywhere I looked. I purchased this bottle instead and it has worked out well.

I really like video reviews of products that actually let you see the product. Since this bottle did not have a video yet, I thought I would make a video review. I hope it helps you decide if this is right hydration bottle for you too.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I take water everywhere. I don't want plastic. And I had a very nice looking and "safe" water bottle. Trouble was, it didn't keep my water cold and got hot fast. In addition, it was a hassle unscrewing it, taking a drink and putting the cap back. Took both hands and lots of time. Useless in the car.

This Thermos is wonderful! I have the Hydration Bottle 2465. It keeps your water COLD all day. It's easy to hold and pack in a purse or any sort of bag. And you can easily open it with one hand, flip it open and take a drink. Use one hand in the car and enjoy your water.

It's sturdy and has a nice feel.

I have the 18 oz, which is perfect for me. I'm sure the larger size is every bit as good. I wouldn't be without this great bottle.

Highly recommended.

1/5/2010 - IMPORTANT UPDATE: I've had this bottle now over one year. I've had to replace a washer in it twice because it leaked. The manufacturer provided me with about five of them free. However, this is annoying. Due to that, I can't recommend this bottle. I still use mine and so far it's doing fine. But this seems to be a common problem with the bottle (they knew immediately what the problem was when I described it) and not one you want to have to deal with.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2007
Forget those expensive metal water bottles from the Swiss. This is exactly what I wanted. It holds 18 ounces, keeps water cool for hours, has a rubber grip in the center, is all steel - inside and out - except for the cap, has a neat cap that pops open when you push a button, has a clasp to keep it shut, is water tight, easy to clean, etc. Very well designed, in my opinion. The vacuum layer is steel so you don't have to worry about a glass vacuum inner bottle breaking. Perfect for those who do not want to drink out of leeching plastic bottles. I am very happy with this.
on December 30, 2010
I get enthusiastic about coolers and containers that keep contents ice cold for extended periods of times. After finding my favorite 5-day and 6-day coolers in different sizes, the search then turned to finding a re-useable thermally insulated bottle that could replace those 16 ounce water bottles and fulfill all of my picky needs. This is a review of the Thermos 18-Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle.

The qualities I was looking for in a water bottle was that it 1) be insulated, 2) that the bottle be leak proof, 3) that the bottle was able to fit ice cubes, 4) that the bottle was constructed of stainless steel as opposed to plastic, which is fragile and leaches chemicals, or aluminum, which gives off a metallic taste, and 5) that the bottle was shaped like a typical bottle that could fit most holders.

The Thermos 18-Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle has been the first and only bottle that has satisfied all of my demands. I picked my first one up in September 2010 and have used it just about everyday since. This review took awhile as I wanted to see if the container was durable enough to withstand everyday use without breaking down. A friend also purchased one of theses bottles shortly after, as he was impressed with the bottle's performance. So far it has been excellent. I even given a couple of friends and relatives this bottle as gifts in each of the three different colors (Expresso, Gray, and Silver), which are all attractive. My favorite color is the Expresso.

As for performance: 1) It is insulated and stands up to the 12-hour claim. The ice consistently lasted over 8 hours and drinks kept cold over 12 hours. My friend claims that ice lasts over 12 hours. 2) The bottle has remained leak proof so far, even through daily use. Just make sure the rubber gasket that seals the cover to the bottle remains in place. After a thorough wash, I did not realize that the gasket had fallen out. The bottle did leak without the stopper. However, as soon as I inserted the stopper, there was no leak. 3) This bottle will fit all but the largest ice cubes. We have ice trays that fit 14 and 16 cubes per tray. 6 ice cubes fit easily into the bottle, but I often pack it with 8 cubes. 4) I appreciate the stainless steel construction inside and out, which has survived several drops with only a few scratches. 5) The bottle was able to fit every single holder that I have tested.

The Thermos 18-Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle has extra qualities that set it apart from other water bottles. 6) This bottle has one-handed operation. Just press the button and the lid flips open to reveal the spout. 7) When allowed to flip open, the lid locks back so when the bottle is turned over for a drink, the cover does not fall down. 8) The spout is just the right size to get a significant pour, as other bottles may require one to suck out water through a straw, or have a big spout that causes spills. 9) The lid not only snaps back shut, but also can be locked shut. This has been useful when I packed the bottle in bags. 10) The rubber grip really helps aid in carrying the bottle. When on hikes, my palms are soaked with perspiration, and I am able to maintain a good grip on the rubber.

There is only one minor complaint for this water bottle. After some condensation builds near the spout, there is a sort of "water stench" odor that I can smell. This happens every time I use the bottle with ice cold drinks. I do not know if this is attributed to the plastic used on the cover. However, the smell is removed by simply wiping the condensation off of the cover.

Overall, I would rate this water bottle a 4.8 out of 5. There are 10 excellent reasons to get this bottle, which in my experience has not been met by any other bottle. There is only one complaint about a water stench smell, which I consider to be minor relative to the performance. I have purchased 4 of these bottles, given 3 as gifts, had other friends buy this after seeing the performance I got out of this bottle, and will continue to highly recommend this product to friends. This is the best bottle available if you appreciate the same qualities that I do.

Update March 5, 2011:
In my continuous quest to find the best thermally insulated water bottles and coolers, I found one that surpasses the performance of my top-ranked Thermos 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle. This is not to take anything away from this Thermos bottle, which continues to be an excellent and dependable daily performer, and the only bottle I felt obligated to review due to such a well thought out design and execution. I just wanted to add this update to as I found another top-performing bottle that is very well-thought out, has top-quality execution, and so far appears to be unequaled in performance.

I purchased the Tiger Sahara Stainless Steel Mug Model MMQ-A at a local retail store for $23 last month. It has all of the features of the Thermos bottle, except that it does not have a rubber grip and holds 15.2 ounces as opposed to 18 ounces. However, it is more compact, there has been no water stench smell so far, and the bottle has consistently kept ice for up to 24 hours at a time. I found this out as I would prepare my bottle around 6 a.m. every workday, and leave it on the sink upon returning home from work. The next morning I would be surprised to find pieces of ice left in the container. Unfortunately, I have not found this product on Amazon. If you ever come across this at your local retail store, it would be an excellent product to check out.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2009
I like my water to be ice-cold when I am biking. I tried a bunch of things with my standard issue water bottle - filling it with ice cubes and adding pre-chilled water, filling it with ice cubes and a little pre-chilled water, freezing some water in the bottle and adding some pre-chilled water.... regardless of what combination I tried the water was tepid after 45 minutes. I looked for a couple of weeks at all the offerings that Amazon had when you search for insulated water bottle, and after using this one for 2 weeks I can say that I purchased the hands down best one for using on my bike.
My normal ride is going to be anywhere from 80 to 120 minutes in length. I get a glass full of ice and add water and let it chill for the 5 minutes it takes me to get my gear on. The screw off top makes it easy to pour the water in and the 4 or 5 ice-maker ice-cubes I top it off with. The cubes will still be in the bottle at the end of the ride and the water will have been ice cold for the duration. It is easy to pull it out of the cage and to replace it when done. I purchased a Topeak Modula Cage Waterbottle Cage to hold it because it is adjustable and highly rated. It works well with the bottle, although while it doesn't scratch the bottle, it is possible to see in the brushed finish where it contacts the bottle as it is taken out and put back in. The marks seem to mostly disappear when I rub with my thumb, but if you are desirous of the bottle keeping a pristine appearance you might want to look at some of Topeak's other offerings. To me, it is easier to drink from this bottle than one of the normal bottles with the pull-out nipple. One push of the thumb on the release button and the top springs open and exposes the wide mouth spout. The bottle does not add any flavor to the water. The cap is equally easy to close as it was to open, and the bottle does not leak when it is inverted, shaken, etc. I was somewhat nervous about the shape of the bottle as far as dropping it, but now that I have used it I have found that the ridged rubber grip on the bottle and the fact that it is not slippery because it does not sweat have put that fear to rest. Opening and closing the bottle are both one handed operations and can be accomplished by touch. I am sure that there will be some that wish it held more than 18 ounces, and if I extend out my rides to where it's a problem for me I guess I'll just buy a second one and mount it so that I could swap out as needed.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is fairly expensive, but I am very please with the quality of the product. Previously, I had been buying plastic bottles every few months, until the it got too dirty and started making the water taste bad.

With this bottle, I find myself drinking more water.

Pros:
- Stainless steel(BPA fee), so water taste good and doesn't pick up residues
- Insulated, so no wet messes on your desk & papers due to condensation
- Nice cap design, I like the way the lid closes and seals the bottle from the outside. It's really easy to open close
- Mouth piece, very easy to drink from, so no spill and you get plenty of water, so no sipping like Dasani bottles

Cons:
- The only one I could think of is the opening is kind of small to it can be hard to put ice in there if you have large pieces of ice or you are trying to fill the ice from an ice machine. But, that is being really picky.
on August 3, 2009
This is the perfect container.

1- The diameter is the same as a 12 oz. soda can. The height is 10 inches, about two soda cans stacked top to bottom.
2- My regular soda can insulators (like a Koozie) fit perfectly between the black rubber grip and the bottom 1/2 of the container. I use them mostly to protect table tops (this is a steel container).
3- The container fits the can holder in BMWs and the cup holder in Fords. I assume it works with any car cup holder designed to secure a 12 oz. soda can.
4- The fill opening diameter measures 1 3/4 inches (43mm) which accommodates ice cubes, tea bags, mixing sticks, etc.
5- The lid pops open with one hand, if unlocked, and stays in place when you tip the container to drink (it does not hit you in the face). No unscrewing, screwing, unscrewing, screwing........
6- The mouth piece is soft and rounded to provide a good lip feel. It is also big enough to allow air in for continuous drinking.
7- No funny taste. No steel or other metallic taste. Water, tea, cold coffee, all taste normal (unchanged by the container).
8- The container is lighter than I expected. Of course with 18 oz. liquid the total weight is about 2 Lbs. + or - (roughly 1 Kilogram).
9- 18 oz. seems to be the right amount of water, tea, whatever... to carry with you.
10- Liquid stays cold for hours.

As an aside, I own four so I can keep a cold one with me all the time (house, car, work, etc.)

Enjoy
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2009
I put ice in it in the evening to see how long it would last - 24 hours later, there was still ice in it! This is great for my 5-yr old, who had no problems opening the top and drinking from it. It's a great size for a backpack or large handbag, and it has been leak proof. You open the top to drink by pushing the button with one hand (very convenient), and the lid has a mechanism that prevents it from flopping over and hitting your nose when you tip the bottle to drink. The Thermos holds 18-oz of water, which is just a tad bigger than your typical 16.9-oz water bottle. The size may be too small for some, but my office has a fridge where I keep a Culligan water purifier pitcher, which allows me to refill throughout the day. Cleaning this Thermos is very easy using a bottle brush (You can find them in the baby section).

This water bottle beats the heck out of all the other water bottles I've used - Nalgene, Camelbak, et. al., as it does not sweat, does not leave rings on desks, and does not make my other stuff in my bag wet. Before I had this bottle, I would freeze water in my Camelbak the night before and hope for a "slow melt" the next day. Then I'd schedule my day to refresh my ice before the cafeteria closed. Now I can leave the Thermos at work and am still ensured leftover ice the next day. Also feeling great that reusable bottles such as this does not contribute to the landfill. I don't even buy bottled water anymore.

Update Aug 09: I took this on a no-shower, no-running water camping trip this past weekend with my family, and the Thermos was fantastic keeping water cool. I don't think I could have survived this primitive camp trip with a regular plastic water bottle that would have gotten the water warm the first couple of hours. It was a lifesaver in the summer heat. I bought a bottle for each family member, so we all had cold water to drink throughout the three-day trip.

Update Sept 09: This continues to be my all-time, best Amazon purchase ever! I am updating to let you know that you have to be careful about the blue silicone ring embedded in the cap. When you twist the cap onto the bottle, the silicon presses onto the lip of the bottle and is what keeps the Thermos leakproof. Be careful when you wash it to ensure it doesn't fall out, and ensure that the silicone ring is firmly placed in the cap before you screw it onto the bottle. I hadn't checked one day and had leakage when I tried to drink from it. I unscrewed the cap and found that the silicone ring wasn't firmly in place. After pushing it so it lay flat against the cap (which took no effort at all), all was fine with the world again. This only happened to me once in 90+ days of daily washing. I still highly recommend, as it is the best water bottle that I have found on the market.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2008
This bottle is great. Not to wide so it fits in a cup holder and your purse or wherever. Put a couple of pieces of ice in the bottle and it will stay cold the entire day, even if you leave it in the hot car. The outside my feel hot but inside the water is still cold. It also is cool how the top pops open it makes it easy to use on the run.
on July 30, 2009
I work in Florida and spend a lot of time in and out of my car all day, day after day. Florida summers? Yikes. I wanted something to keep liquids cold for when I climb back in the car and need something cold to drink right away. I researched those mini fridges that plug into your car cigarette lighter. But turns out those only keep stuff 40 degrees lower than the ambient temperature--which in Florida means any drink will only be 60-70 degrees. That is just not refreshing in July. So I tried this thermos...read a lot of reviews and took a chance buying one for me and one as a gift. I love this thermos! It would be great if it held a tad more volume, but in my Escape it fits into the smaller of the two cup holders between the front seats. I fill the thermos with ice and top it off with cold water about 8am in the morning. I have left it in the car until 5pm, taken a drink and gotten ICE COLD water and ICE CHUNKS. I said ICE CHUNKS, people! After NINE HOURS in a hot car. So, this product passed my Florida-left-in-the-car-during-the-summer test and now I've got 2 of them (cause I decided to keep the second one for myself)!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...