Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on September 7, 2008
I bought this because I haven't been able to find anything like it in the stores (Walmart, Target, KMart, Bed Bath & Beyond) that I've checked. I heated up some split pea soup the first morning at 7 am, and heated water in a kettle too. I poured the water from the kettle into the thermos to warm it up, then dumped that out and added the soup. I put it into my "built" tote and went to school (nursing school). At 12 I went to eat my soup but it was still very hot! So, I ate the rest of my lunch and left it for later. I put it the lid back on and at 3:30 opened it back up for a snack and it was just right - still warm but not hot. I thoroughly recommend this! I go to school an hour away from home and can't afford to eat out. This helped me immensely to be able to bring my own food. Great product!!! And I haven't had any problems with leakage either plus I washed it in the dishwasher...
88 comments250 of 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2008
If you like to pack hot soup or stew on a cold day... this is a great product. I recommend buying more than one. The capacity is enough for a hearty stew lunch for one person. But pack a second one for a hot drink. It kept my stew piping hot for six hours sitting there in the cold vehicle while I was out snowmobiling all morning. AND It also keeps drinks ice cold. The ice cold thermal factor actually works better than the hot factor. I put ice cubes in overnight at room temperature and they were hardly melted in the morning. I really like the wide mouth, easy to clean. Although you can also wash in dishwasher rack too, although water leaks into the base just a little because of the hot water jets. (it leaks in where the black bottom is against the stainless steel.) But that isn't a problem... I just pop off the base and let it dry out. Can be snapped back on easy enough. And these units are perfect to take ANYWHERE! A great product by Thermos brand.
11 comment82 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2008
I bought this thermos for my 6 year old son to take to school for lunch. He doesn't always like to take sandwiches. One morning, my neighbor ran over my kids backpacks with their lunches inside. Needless to say, juice boxes, sandwiches, and everything else were completely flattened. But, my son's thermos escaped with only two small dents in the side and the bottom popped off, but didn't break. The interior of the thermos remained intact. In fact after my husband sealed the plastic bottom back on, it remained usable. If this thermos can take being run over by a mini-van, it could handle anything! I can also tell you that I boil water and put it inside the thermos before putting hot food in it. It seems to help to heat up the steel first and keeps the food hotter longer.
22 comments76 of 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2007
I really liked this product. You just need to add hot water before putting your food in it, to be able to heat up the container. It has enough room for a can of soup. It kept my food hot from 6am until 4pm.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2007
Works great. Keeps things hot as long as advertised. Wide mouth convenient for eating and the perfect size for a grown man's lunch. Also, this product has a super tight seal so it never leaks.
0Comment32 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2008
This jar is great for holding your average 16oz can of soup, ect. Food is still warm after 5 hours. One downfall is the jar opening is smaller and hard to slide food up the side of the thermos using a fork. It's smaller than my previous thermos and decided to take a bowl along to help.
11 comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2007
I've been using this jug several days aweek for sefveral months. Works terrific and it takes any bumps or drops that happen without shattering! Worth the price.
on October 5, 2009
For retaining heat this works as well as any I've tried...

My application is for overnight cooking of Irish Oatmeal: Prior to bedtime: Preheat the bottle, then place 1/2 C. of steel cut oats, fill near to top with boiling water. Go to sleep. When the alarm rings, seemingly 3 milliseconds later, one has cooked oatmeal waiting! (vs. cooking for 1/2 hour when you Could Be doing something else like reviewing vacuum bottles)

This bottle's defect, in my opinion, is that the seal is integrated into what is normally the outer lid. (i.e. the cup or bowl of the vacuum bottle.) Also, the lid is easy to cross thread. The consequence is that one's hand must work at a high preload as well as high torque to unscrew it. Result: Frustration, possibly muscle strain.

I prefer a different thermos (the one with the folding spoon in its lid):
one can find these at WalMart for $15.88 in the camping section (10/25/09).
22 comments81 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2007
I bought this thermos for my son's school lunch. It holds an entire pack of soupy ramen noodles with room to spare. I'm pleased with the size and it's ability to keep items warm, but the mouth is not as wide as I'd hoped and the carbiner-type clip on the side is useless and in the way. I can't imagine that you'd really hook it on to your backpack for a "winter hike" either. That's just goofy. What happened to those plastic wide-mouth thermos' from my youth?
88 comments61 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2009
I purchased this for my daughter, as she loves having hot soup for lunch. She loves, loves it. It does perform very well: no leaks, plenty of storage capacity (roughly equal to a typical soup bowl that I have at home), and keeps food very nearly the same temperature as when I filled the jar. In fact, the first time I filled it my daughter complained that the soup was TOO hot. I had over-heated it fearing that it would cool off too much by the time she got a chance to eat it. Now I know to heat food only as hot as I know she likes it, and no more.
Some observations: From the picture, I had guessed that the lid could be used as a small cup. This is not so, as the lid is insulated as well. The jar opening, is just a bit narrower than I thought it would be, but not so narrow that it is impractical for a normal length spoon or fork to reach all the way down to the bottom, so this is not a problem. Lastly, it is a bit heavy and bulky, but given the quality, performance, and the large 16 oz. capacity, this is a small concession to make. I would buy this product again, and with no regrets.