Thermos 12 Ounce Funtainer Bottle, Cars
Color: Disney's CarsChange
Price:$12.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 30, 2008
When I was shopping for my son to start preschool, I was thrilled to find these thermos bottles. He will only drink ice water, so I thought the straw design was wonderful for him. We wanted to be kind to the environment by NOT sending a plastic bottle every day. When the Thermos cups work properly, the cups do keep the ice water cold all day long, and the straw design is okay. Plus, they do give you an extra straw when you purchase it. I thought it was the perfect cup...

HOWEVER, I am so frustrated with the Thermos lid design that I could scream!!! These cups, by the cute character designs, are geared towards younger children. My son dropped this cup once, and the lid broke. When the lid breaks, the cup is no longer spill-proof, and it cannot be used in a lunch box again (water leaked everywhere). These cups are very expensive--around $15 each. I bought him one replacement cup, and he had it for about 3 weeks before he dropped that one, and the lid broke on that one also. I cannot find any place to purchase replacement lids. And I am never going to buy another one of these cups until they change the design of the lid--or make them easier for young children with small hands to carry by adding a handle or something.

If you are lucky enough to never drop this cup, then it's great! If you ever drop it on a hard surface, then it's terrible.

UPDATE: I did contact the THERMOS customer care line 1-800-831-9242, and I was able to order replacement lids for the thermos cups. They only cost $2 per lid and were shipped quickly with replacement straws as well. Since you can order replacement lids, I would update my review back to 3 stars.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
***Update 9/26/2013 - We still have three of our original four (two hello kitty and one blue). One broke at the top when we dropped it on a hard floor but three have lasted for over three years. The graphics have scratched off a lot but that's doesn't bother me or the kids since they are now older anyway. We still use some of them almost everyday. ***

We purchased this Thermos (with the Hello Kitty design from Target) over 1½ years ago. It has held up through almost daily use. It is one of the best kids drink holders I've ever had. We actually have two, one blue one pink.

They each came with an extra straw set but my originals are still going strong.

I can put ice water in it in the morning and send my daughter to camp (outside, no refrigerator) and when she gets home late afternoon, there is still ice in it.

We use them for lunches, travel and daily household use.

Milk stays cold for up to 12 hours (although we don't usually let milk stay out that long).

It has been tossed around (not dropped from any great height) and has rolled around the mini van and the only wear it shows is with the imprint on the outside.

We do not wash it in the dishwasher although I think you can and I take the straw apart each time I wash it - it is a two piece part.

Since we put milk in it, I often clean the straw out with a pipe cleaner so that any residual milk is removed. I use a knife point to go around the inside of the straw connecting point because this can sometimes build up some milk stuff.

It sounds like a lot but it takes less than a minute to wash and I feel like it is clean when we are done.

It reassembles so easily. I've had straw cups that have to be carefully threaded and pushed. This just pops in.

UPDATE 9/3/2010
I just purchased another Funtainer (from Amazon) so that we had one at school with cold water and one at home. Coincidentally, my daughter dropped our old one at school and the top broke. It has been dropped many times in the past and it is almost two years old so I feel like it held up well. In defense of the product, she dropped it on a hard floor.
I did want to point out that the one we just received from our Amazon order did not have an extra straw set but seems to be constructed like our older one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2014
I've used these Funtainer bottles for years for my 2 kids and we love them. We have a set for milk and a set for water. The ONLY thing I wish these had is a little latch to hold the top shut. Yes, they do snap closed and require you to push the button to open them - but more than once we've had the bottles pop open in my kids' lunchboxes and leak all over (the drink drips/pours out the straw). I'm guessing it's from bumping against other things in their bags??? We keep them inside gallon sized ziploc bags lined with paper towels now, after I had to replace 2 library books that ended up soaked in my son's backpack. The bags work well to contain the mess if/when they open now, but I REALLY wish there was a latch on these like there is on the bigger ones. Otherwise these are fantastic!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2012
This bottle is a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde product.

All the kid Funtainers have a round, clear, flexible plastic disc under the lid that the straw sticks into. The manufacturing problem is that the straight portion of the disc is larger than the corresponding straight edge on the cap - allowing it to shift out of place under certain circumstances. Eventually, when you twist the cap onto the base, that disc is going to rotate and the top portion of the straw will no longer be aligned with the cap's pinch mechanism. At that point the milk starts leaking out.

The bottles seem to work well at first (up to 2 weeks of daily use), but then the disc gets more flexible - I don't know if it's due to water getting under it, washing in warm water, weardown by contact with the base etc. Once the straw starts going off center, the only remedy seems to be setting it aside for a week or so, waiting for it to get stiff again. If you always keep the bottle upright the defect shouldn't be a big problem - but our grade school puts all lunches into giant buckets which are carried to the cafeteria - so chances are my kid's lunchbox is upside down part of the day. Little kids are not capable of inspecting the straw's pinch position for accuracy every time they close the bottle - nor should they have to.

Cleaning these is also somewhat difficult - if your kid leaves the milk in overnight, be prepared to clean out the straw with a couple of q-tips, get residue out of the cap rim with toothpicks, and scrub the cap rings well.

I have owned a couple of these and every one I've seen at the store/friends' houses has the same design flaw. I will never buy another one.

If you're looking for a better option try the 12 oz insulated Hydroflask.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2014
I chose this botlle (12oz for m toddler and 16oz for my 8yr old girls) because I wanted no plastic touching their drinks, insulation, and straws. This bottle meets all of that criteria with the exception of the inner straw being plastic. I was able to solve that issue by replacing the inner straw with silicone ones made by Pure straws. The regular size is a perfect fit and can be cut to the correct length.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2012
I'm going to keep this short and sweet with my top pros and cons. Here it is:

Pros:
1. Keeps drinks cold for HOURS. There have been times when I've added a little bit of ice with the liquid, and 10 hours later the ice is still there!! Although the packaging says not to store dairy products in the cup, I've put milk in there (without ice) and it has stayed cold (not cool, but COLD) for 5+ hours. If you chill the cup in the fridge before use, it works even better.
2. This thing is durable. Our cup has been dropped countless times on tile, asphalt, cement, you name it... although it has a few scratches on the lid (the lid is plastic, after all), the cup is still perfectly fine.

Cons:
1. I bought the cup six months ago, and the design is starting to wear off. I have washed the cup with a non-abrasive washcloth because of previous reviews I read regarding this issue, but it is still fading.
2. About after five months of use, the cup began to leak. I went on Thermos' website and it stated that this is most likely due to a worn straw. Sure enough, I ordered a replacement straw from Thermos (they're $1.00 each + shipping), and voila! No more leaks! I saw some sellers on Amazon selling these straws for $7.00 each... ridiculous! By calling Thermos, I ordered FIVE straws, and with shipping it came out to a grand total of $8.00!

Overall, I am very pleased with this cup, mostly because of how long it keeps the drinks cold. I haven't tried many other cups, but I doubt that most can keep a drink cold for as long as this cup can.

Here's another tip - to effectively clean the straw, I recommened using Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Cleaning Brush. I had some of these leftover from my son's bottles, and they work GREAT.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2014
The product is fine but please be aware that this bottle does not have the white background color as the picture indicates. Actually its all steel as the video shows. I bought this from my cell phone so I didn't see the video. If I had seen that, I would never buy this. The white background is what I liked..
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2009
I bought this water bottle for my daughter and she loved it. It looks nice and pretty. The insulated stainless steel does not leak any chemicals and the plastic parts are all PBA free. The only thing I don't like is that hinge of the plastic cap is easy to be broken. Both ours and my friends' are broken after the bottles were dropped to the ground. So we ordered the caps from Thermos customer service again. I think it cost about $3 for each cap, not too bad.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

UPDATE 9/3/2010
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

UPDATE 9/3/2010
I just purchased another Funtainer (from Amazon) so that we had one at school with cold water and one at home. Coincidentally, my daughter just dropped our old one at school and the top broke. It has been dropped many times in the past and it is almost two years old so I feel like it held up well. In defense of the product, she dropped it on a hard floor.
I did want to point out that the one we just received from our Amazon order did not have an extra straw set but seems to be well constructed like our older one.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...