5.0 out of 5 stars Leak-proof and keeps liquids cold
Published on August 11, 2010 by Massimo

3.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it
We used to own the old Foogo style Thermos cup. My four year old had the cup about 2 years when the top was broken off by baby sis. This was no fault of the thermos, just the reason we had to get a new one.

Published on November 15, 2010 by John'sGirl

3.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it, November 15, 2010

The old thermos foogo was great. WHY did they have to go and mess it up?? My biggest gripe is that the straw leaks. I have seen comments stating that you should expect liquid to come out of a straw. Well, guess what? The old foogo did not leak. Your child would have to suck liquid out of the straw for it to come out. I thought this was great. This is marketed for toddlers so you should expect cups to get knocked over. Why they felt the need to take away such a great feature is beyond me. In fact, my son knocked his new cup over at his lunch table in preschool. Apparently it made quite the mess. This would not have happened with the old cups. They redesigned it with the same straws in the funtainers, clearly intended for older children. In fact, that pretty much shot any point in getting this instead of the funtainer unless you just need to have a smaller cup.

The other new feature was not a big deal to me, but it may be to others. They changed the size of the cup. Instead of being narrow all the way down, it is now shorter with a wider base. I guess this was done to help fit the cup into lunchboxes better. However, it may not fit well into all cupholders. For instance, it does fit fine in my son's carseat cupholder (graco) but does not fit in my daughter's stroller tray (sit n stand).

The Thermos claim-to-fame, of course, is that it keeps everything super-cold for a super-long time. If there were any other cup out there that did this, I'd give them a shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk -- Straw disintegrated after 2 mos, January 7, 2011
Vicky J. Keston (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
At first, I was so happy with this product. It's great to have a way to keep milk cold so that you don't have to rush to the fridge all the time.

BUT . . . the straw disintegrated under my son's teeth, and Thermos has terrible customer service. The rep said that they don't warrant the straw and that I should throw it away and buy a new one. When I asked for her name, she refused to give it but instead transferred me into a voicemail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leak-proof and keeps liquids cold, August 11, 2010
Massimo "Audio Book Newb" (Stamford, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
I got this container to keep my son's milk cold while he is at day care since they do not have a refrigerator. It does a great job of keeping liquids cool, and when the cap is screwed on properly, it has never ever leaked. I was worried that it would be heavy for my 14-month old to hold, but is is very lightweight. Also the outside does not get very cold to the touch when it is filled with a cold liquid (another worry I had pre-purchase).

Within minutes of the first use, my son threw it on the floor and the open lid came off. However, it wasn't broken and easily popped back in. I think it may actually be designed to pop off easily so that it does NOT break. I will say it has been through dozens more tosses (my son is in that phase!) and has not separated again.

One thing that DOES separate is the base of the straw from the cap. I will try explain this. When you open the top cap of the bottle, you see the blue screw top with a clear silicone straw sticking up through a triangular hole in the screw top. The straw is actually connected on the other side of the screw top to a larger, round piece of silicone which is the size of the bottle. Where the straw meets this round piece is a triangular silicone base which fits the straw to the hole in the blue cap. So, it's all one piece: straw to triangular base to flat round piece. And that's what creates the seal to prevent liquid from spilling out.

There are two issues with this design: First, the triangular piece can sometimes push BACKWARDS through the hole in the blue cap which means that the seal preventing liquid from coming through is no longer 100%. When this happens, liquid can leak out of the base hole that the straw comes through. The second issue is that it makes the straw difficult to clean because the part where the child sucks is on an angle down to the round piece. From there it "turns" to come straight down to connect to the actual straw inside the bottle. So, the mouthpiece is like an angled "L" shape (and, of course, has a very small opening) - there's nothing you can really fit inside to clean it, so you just have to run soapy water through it and hope that does the job. It doesn't do the job for thicker liquids (like a smoothie), and I have found myself digging in with a Q-tip.

However, I would give this bottle top marks for generally not leaking, keeping liquids cool and being very easy for a child to use. Plus, the stainless steel inside and wide mouth make it exceptionally easy to clean the interior. I clean it by hand as that works best, but it does well in the top rack of a dishwasher, too. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insulated straw cup--not spillproof, September 29, 2010
Amazon Customer (Redwood City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased this when my daughter was about 1 year old, liked that it was stainless steel and insulated. It is my preferred cup for milk, in case it gets left out for a little while or we want to take it anyplace, it stays nice and cold for hours. Considering it is sold as a baby item in the sippy cup category, too bad it is just a straw cup, there is no valve to prevent the liquid from dripping out of the straw pretty quickly if it is tipped over. Fine if you pick it up right away, but if my daughter abandons it on its side and I don't notice it right away, it makes a really big puddle within a few minutes. I actually found that the valve that belonged to a Munchkin straw cup I had that I didn't like anyway fit this straw (search for "Munchkin replacement straws" and you can pick up a pack of valves for just a couple of dollars--they are the valves that fit the "Munchkin Stainless Steel Straw Cup" or "Munchkin Mighty Grip Flip Straw Cups"). I cut off the longer, narrower end of the valve that turns into a flexible straw, leaving just about a 1/2" of it, and that end sticks inside the top of the lid; the other slightly wider end fits over the straw. I had to trim the straw from this cup to compensate for the added length of including the valve. With this added valve, now usually only a couple of drops escape if the cup gets left on its side, just whatever was in the top of the straw above the valve. My daughter probably has to suck with a little more force, but it doesn't seem any harder for her to use than regular straws.

The cup has held up well to 8 months of daily use and top-rack dishwashings. All pieces come apart to wash well. The cup has dropped from a height onto our laminate floors and the flip-top lid popped off, but easily snapped back on--nothing cracked. Liked it enough that we purchased the similar "Funtainer" kids cup (and again did my modification of adding the valve)--really no difference between the cups, the Funtainer is just slightly taller for a larger, 12-oz. capacity. If this baby cup version came with a spill-proof valve, I'd give it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cap broke on two of these, August 11, 2013
I bought two of these cups for my 3 year old. We do not let him run around with a cup. when it is time to drink, we open it and give it to him to drink. He will snap the top closed when done. I like the idea of the lid because it is leak proof and keeps the straw clean. But after a month of use, the lid broke where it snaps to the base behind the yellow button. There is a small plastic loop on the lid that catches a little hook behind the yellow button. Taht small plastic loop is not very durable and broke on BOTH cups we bought. These cups are for kids and need to be a bit stronger than that. Plus, this makes the cup useless entirely because now the big lid is flapping open so you cannot put it into any bag or carry it easily. Plus the straw leaks a lot without the lid pinched down on it. So the whole use of the cup is based on a small plastic loop. I looked for replacement tops so I could at least get more use out of it, but I cannot find replacement tops for sale.

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY!!! ----THIS PRODUCT POSTS SERIOUS HEALTH THREAT-----, July 14, 2013
I have bought 2 such bottles, one in pink about half a year ago, and another one in blue about 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I only started to drink water from this bottle about one week ago (by then my daughter had been using it for over half a year!). WATER INSIDE HAS EXTREMELY STRONG, UNBEARABLE PLASTIC SMELL, AND THE TASTES IS BITTER AND TERRIBLE.

In the only about a few minutes after fresh water is put inside the bottle, the water will have this awful taste. This problem is present in both old and new bottles!!

Tried to soak the plastic parts in boiling water for 15 mins, wash the bottle extensively with soap... no help

I suspect the plastic parts are discharging particles extensively. I do not understand how such a low quality product can be made, and marketed as baby products. Do they have souls?

What makes my nightmare is my daughter has been using the bottle everyday for over half a year!!!

PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT THIS ITEM AND FOUND SIMILAR PROBLEM.

I would rate this product 0 out 5, would recommend everyone to stay far away from the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!! The answer to all sippy cups!, March 30, 2011
Lucy L. (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I've tried the following sippy cups for either one or both of my children:

-Klean Kanteen (great, but doesn't insulate)
-CamelBack Kids (great, but hard to clean)
-Born Free (good, but is in a spout, not straw)
-Playtex (straw, but not too durable)
-Nuby Sport sipper (leaks!)
-Nuby Straw sippy (really good, but hard to clean - especially when I put smoothies in this sippy)

I've found that the FooGoo thermos is the BEST one to accommodate my criteria:
-insulates
-durable
-easy to clean (dishwasher)
-not too many parts (only 3: plastic blue top at you see in the pic, 1 straw and 1 'mouthpiece' -- all very easy to clean)
-easy to open (My daughter does occupational therapy to strengthen her finger muscles but she has no problem with opening this on her own. My 11 month old son can also open it as well as drink from it well - I know it says 18 months and above, but he wants what big sister has!)

I have four of these, two in blue for my son and two in pink for my daughter. They really do keep drinks cold for about 8 hours. I just love them!!! The only drawback that I can think of is that when I put ice in it (with their milk), it may be a little heavy for my son (but he'll get stronger as he gets older.)

It's definitely worth the cost. Be ware because there is a FooGoo that they sell that costs about $6 but it is made of plastic (kind of like a Nalgene bottle), but the double insulated stainless steel, like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for toddlers, May 6, 2013
this cup is our favorite, but it wasn't until our son got a little older. we like it because it's not completely vacuum sealed to make it leak proof and, therefore, the liquid inside comes out a lot more easily. if you've tried drinking from a leak proof straw cup, you'll know and it takes a lot of energy to drink out of them. i found that my son drinks more and more easily from this cup than some of his other completely leak proof cups, and my theory is that the liquid comes out more easily. it has a tiny air hole on the top to let air in when you drink, which means if you tip over the cup while the top is open, liquid will spill. if the lid is closed, it is completely leak proof. often, i throw the (closed) cup in my bag and i've never had a leak.

i think this is less of an issue if you have an older toddler who understands that you have to hold cups upright or they will spill. my son is 27 months and he gets that. we still have some spills but i'm ok with that if it means my son is drinking more milk. other leak proof cups also do leak if you put in cold liquids like milk or refrigerated juice as the liquid warms to room temperature, except those leak out the straw, and that is way more irritating for me than the foogo.

we use both the stainless steel and plastic and we love them equally. the stainless keeps liquids cold for hours--really impressive. you just need to make sure the inside of the cup is cold before pouring in the cold liquid. the plastic one is great for everyday use. we've had one cup for about a year and added 3 more to the rotation. they all look new. none have broken so far. the silicone part of the straw does wear down, especially with kids chewing on them, but they don't wear down as quickly as some other popular straw cups. overall, this is a fantastic cup for toddlers!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for toddlers, April 25, 2013
We bought these for a airplane trip because I wanted some way to close the top completely while traveling (our normal sippy cups don't have a lid). These are great but are not like a sippy cup (not that they purport to be), they leak if held at a downward angle or upside down WITHOUT the lid on. WITH the lid closed, they don't leak at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok for water, July 31, 2013
Don't buy this if you are planing to use it to keep milk at a safe temperature in a lunch box. I tried for 3 days, following instructions and pre chilling the thermos with cold water, ice water and ice. It would not keep milk at a safe temp for even 5 hours ( the time from when I pack the lunch until lunch time) I keep my refrigerator at 38 degrees, that was the temp of the milk when I put it in the pre- chilled thermos. 5 hours later it was 53 degrees. I even put an ice pack in the lunch bag like it would be sent off to school. 41 degrees is the safe zone limit. So if you are just puting water in it or something that only needs to stay a couple of hours it's a nice little thermos. But no way will it keep anything cold for 10 hours like it says on the box. I am returning this, Amazon representative was very helpful and made the return simple and easy. Thanks

Rate and Discover Movies