5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
Published on March 3, 2010 by P. Piggly Hogswine

1.0 out of 5 stars Decline in quality
This used to be a good product and, on paper, it still is.

Sadly, I lost my previous one, which I had used for two years.

Now I have ordered three in the last week or so, returning them day after day, because they have all been defective.

Published 19 months ago by Huggy Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Compact Bottle, Midnight Blue (Kitchen)
I preheat it with boiling water in the morning for a few minutes and then fill with hot coffee. 6 hours later the coffee is still so hot I can't drink it! But that's exactly how I want it. Then I can let it cool to my perfect temp. I've burned my mouth a few times not being careful but that's my fault and a testament to how well this thermos works. I also bought the travel mug and food container of the same kind from Thermos and I love all three (plus they match!). I'm a student and spend all day on campus away from home so it's wonderful to have hot food and coffee every day with minimal effort. I save money bringing homemade food and espresso drinks with me instead of buying them on campus.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can prove this is a great thermos, March 3, 2012
I read many reviews on how this thermos doesn't work as described. Here is a little experiment I did when I received mine.

Experiment 1: Preheated thermos with water from a tea kettle for 5 minutes. Emptied it and filled again. Measured the temperature at 177 degrees. 12 hours later the temperature was 158 degrees.

Experiment 2: Repeated same test for 24 hours. Initial temp. was 179 and final temp was 154.

Experiment 3: Same test again without preheating the thermos. Initial temp. was 181 and final temp was 147.

I use this everyday and have always enjoyed the hot coffee it keeps for me. The only thing I can think that causes the others to have a bad experience is no preheating the bottle and the coffee is not very hot to start.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decline in quality, February 6, 2013
This used to be a good product and, on paper, it still is.

Sadly, I lost my previous one, which I had used for two years.

Mostly, the problem is with the cap. The cap has two parts: a plastic inside, which is where you can pour your beverage and drink out of, and a metal outside, which you see pictured. These are manufactured separately and are then glued together. It seems that, in the recent batch, the two parts of the cap are not being glued together properly and are coming apart in a number of units, as another reviewer has noted. My guess is that Amazon is receiving a lot of returns if this is a common problem.

How Thermos stuck the cap parts together before, I do not know. But whoever is doing this task at the factory needs to be disciplined or dismissed, or a stronger glue needs to be used. More seriously, whoever does quality control needs a good reprimand. Or perhaps there is nobody doing quality control.

There are other problems too. On one of the bottles I received, the cap would not screw in all the way, leading my coffee to leak out. Problems with the paint peeling and heat rentention diminishing have been noted before but I think the cap problem is more serious.

I am now sending yet another bottle back and am hoping that the one I receive in return will hold together. But I am not optimistic. I like the design of this bottle but if they cannot make it properly, I will no longer buy it. Placing new orders and preparing returns is a time-consuming process.

Sadly, we are discovering this with so many products these days. Many great brands, which could once be trusted to produce sturdy products for daily use are losing value because the search for cheap labor and materials has led to inferior parts being put together hurriedly. Nowawadays, a lot of products do not last very long or, as is the case here, fall apart after first use, or no use at all. This is a shame because Thermos was one of the classic brands of the modern era.

Rest in Peace, dear Thermos.

UPDATE (13 February, 2013): Yet another lid has failed! Sending my fifth one back now! There is a major quality control issue at the Thermos factory. Hopefully all these Amazon returns (and I know I'm not the only one), will precipitate an investigation. This is very frustrating, time consuming, and disappointing.
***************************

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but easily scratched :(, September 20, 2011
I just got this Thermos and I have used it every day for work since. It does the job of keeping my fresh juice from home cold most of the day. My only complaint about this item is that already, just after about a week of use, the exterior finish is scratching off. All I have done is take this to work in my lunch bag, drink out of it a few times a day, and bring it back home. I'm not a construction worker or anything like that, and I'm not tossing this around on the floor of a pickup truck or anything rough like that, but still the exterior paint/finish is coming off. I'm disappointed in that, but not enough to send it back because for what I bought it for it does the job. I don't need it to be beautiful, but I did hope it would stay new looking a bit longer!

Oh and about the color...midnight blue actually winds up being a deep deep purple on this item...which I'm ok with and actually preferred. But, just in case you are expecting dark dark blue, this item is not blue at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, July 12, 2010
This thing keeps my coffee hot all day long, and it seems to be very durable. I use it everyday and I love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars What Ever Happened to the Thermos Brand for Quality Products, February 9, 2013
Patrick T. Kelley (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
So in less than a week, I picked the thermos up by the cup, and the inner liner of the cup comes unglued, and the thermos drops to the ground (it was full). Consequently, the item now has a large dent in the base, and the cup is in two pieces (inner and outer liner). Turns out there was just one little glob of hot glue inside the thermos cup which failed. Return it? To whom? Amazon? - Thermos? Or just learn the lesson of how a formerly great brand markets POS products leaving a bad taste in consumers' mouths. Choose another brand folks. This is not your Mom and Dad's Thermos brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermos Stainless King Compact, July 14, 2011
The Thermos does an amazing job of locking in the heat (filled with coffee). I fill it with coffee at 8:30am, pour a cup (about 1/2 of total volume) at 9:00am, and pour a second cup between 10:30am and 11:00am. The second cup is still pretty hot. I would definitely recommend this Thermos!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, February 21, 2013
I was so excited to receive my Thermos in the mail because I drink tea all day, almost every day. The first thing that I noticed is that the Thermos is much darker in person than it is in the pictures. Not a huge deal, but definitely almost looks black.

It definitely keeps its contents hot as promised. My only complaint, and the reason I gave it four stars was because the steel (?) top that can also be used as a cup, separated from the black, plastic lining. This was only only using the Thermos approximately three times. The glue apparently lost its hold. I did not put the Thermos in the dishwasher and did not submerge the top in water, so I'm extremely confused as to why that happened. I mean, isn't it supposed to be able to withstand heat?

It obviously still does the job, so I won't return it. But, I definitely wasn't pleased when the thing separated when I was unscrewing the top and my hands were sticky from the glue that's not sticking to what its meant to.

2.0 out of 5 stars metal layer of the cup became detached from plastic layer underneath, March 9, 2013
This is what i saw in the previous review, and mine has exactly the same problem. "Great product for keeping things hot or cold, except the the outer metal layer of the cup became detached from plastic layer underneath. " Besides, i think this thermo is unwieldy compared to what i have used before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decline in quality - it is true, May 15, 2014
The review written in 2013 is true. The decline in quality of this product is getting more and more serious. If you pay attention to all the 5 star reviews, most of them are back in 2010-2012. I bought this product three times. The first one lasted for more than two years. The second one lasted for more than 6 months. The last one I bought this year lasted for only 1.5 months! All I did for cleaning was just pure water, nothing else. The bottle itself lost the capability to keep hot tea warm. Once it happened, it went bad quickly. I have lost confidence in Thermos and now I am looking to buy a thermal bottle of a Japanese brand.

Updated on 30MAY2014:
I came back for this review because someone on amazon asked me a question about my review. I noticed something interesting: Within two weeks of my review posted, there were already 4 reviews posted. All of them emphasized how this bottle worked great for their hot milk, tea, coffee, or water whatever. That makes me even more suspicious about all the 5 star reviews in the recent months. It's true that the bottle will do the job for you when you have it new. What about after 1 month, 2 months, or longer? Am I the only one with such bad luck for the recent bottles I bought? The product quality eventually speaks for itself.

By the way, if you have not done so, go look up the product warranty on the official website. It has only 30 days of (partial) warranty. What kind of thermal bottle has only 30 days of warranty? The brand I switched to has 5 years of warranty!

Rate and Discover Movies