4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mug - best ever, but Bad handle
I've owned roughly 15 Coffee mugs over the last 10 years (Contigo, Trudeau, other Thermos, etc.), always searching for one that could keep my daily coffee hot for more than 2 hours. This is by far the best mug I have ever owned.

Pros:
Published on September 7, 2010 by CoffeeDrinker

3.0 out of 5 stars Be extremely careful with handling the handle!
This product keeps it hot or cold for the period it says on the label. It is also leak proof.

Crack in handle happens a lot and its just made of black plastic on outside and hollow inside.That is the weakest part of this item so my rating drops to 3 star. This handle seriously needs some redesign with a stronger handle.

Do not put in a dishwasher...
Published on August 31, 2010 by One-Day Reversal

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mug - best ever, but Bad handle, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Leak- Proof Travel Mug with Handle, Midnight Blue (Kitchen)

Pros:
The double-wall insulation keeps the coffee hot for HOURS on end. One trick I learned is that if you put boiling water in the mug for 5-10 Minutes prior to putting your coffee in, it will keep even longer, I'm talking upwards of 8 hours.

This is the 1st mug I've owned that is truly is leak - proof. I sometimes put milk and sugar in with my coffee. When I got this mug, I simply add both in and close it and shake it to stir, and have not had a single spill.

The cover to the mug also comes part in 5 pieces that are easy to disassemble and reassemble. I've had numerous mugs that end up with a bad smell because the top gets coffee or milk trapped in it and festers. This mug let's you take apart the cover and clean it thoroughly.

Cons:
To echo another review, the handle is the only weak point of the mug. I had it for 4 weeks and returned the mug twice because of broken handles, and gave up when the 3rd one broke and took it off. Hoping that Thermos redesigns this mug with a better handle in the future...this is the only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

Overall, great mug and despite the handle, will definitely purchase again in the future, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be extremely careful with handling the handle!, August 31, 2010

Do not put in a dishwasher since the extreme heat may cause the handle to crack much quicker than you would expect.

Your smartest choice would be to buy the other kind with no handle before you buy this item.
Thermos Stainless King SK1005MB4 16-Ounce Leak-Proof Travel Mug, Midnight Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Mug, October 26, 2010
If you are deciding whether or not to purchase this coffee mug, don't think twice just buy it. As a retired Navy man I have owned too many mugs to count. I have taken them with me all over the world. Most mugs just do not keep cofee hot and many of them will leak when you go to take a sip. Not a good thing when you're in a full dress white uniform. No dribbles from this mug, and it does not leak when the lid is in the closed possition. I have filled this up with coffee before leaving for work and left it unattended on my desk for over four hours. Then when I took a sip expecting it to be room temperature, I actually burned my mouth. It does not leak when the lid is in the closed possition and is easy to drink from without spilling. I would highly recomend this cup to anyone looking to purchase a mug for the office or travel. The handle is a little light weight, but fine if you don't abuse or drop it from more than maybe six feet. Great for home, office or traveling. Thumbs up Thermos!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality, August 4, 2010
Brian LaShomb "bshomb" (Brooklyn Center, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I picked this up at Target locally, and I too was a little concerned that the handle might be a problem. However after a month of daily use and going into the dishwasher (and getting droped a couple times), it performs great. Keeps things hot for 4-5 hours without a problem. Handle has held up well enough, although if you're concerned, they make a model without a handle. I've also seen models at Target recently in a steel grey color which they call "Smoke".

This is replacing my 10-year old Zojirushi Tuff Road which started to leak from the plastic seal, and this feels better made. I expect it will last a long time.

EDIT: 10/16/11... I've been using this over a year now, and it's been great. The handle has been a non-issue for me. No water has gotten stuck in it from the dishwasher. However, the paint has chipped badly. If I bought another one, I would just get the stainless steel, and mine is currently half blue and half stainless. For that reason I've dropped it down to 4 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubber seal gave out, March 28, 2012
Great mug at first, durable, keeps my my coffee nice and hot for a long time. They really need some rubber at the bottom to keep the mug from slipping off the airplane tray table. But I can live with this. The reason for the 1 star is that the rubber seal in the top gave out. It's been only 6 months, occasional use, always hand washed this thing. Right now the mug is completely unusable as I spilled coffee over myself right in the middle of a meeting with the top screwed on tightly.

On to a different brand for me...

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Handles, April 26, 2011
Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Leak- Proof Travel Mug with Handle, Midnight BlueI purchased about a half dozen of these mugs, at first I thought they were great. I have had to return 4 for handles that are broken. They do keep the coffee hot for hours, but the handles crack along the flow lines. I hand wash these mugs and we are very careful of handling any mugs as they are very expensive, but the major flaw is the broken/cracked handles. I still am in the process of replacement. The last complaint still has not been answered by Amazon. I also bought 2 Thermos bottles that go with the mugs and they are great. They keep coffee hot for hours with no issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars All handles are broken!, October 26, 2010
I was going to buy this mug, and went to Target to take a look at it. The previous reviewers are right - the biggest problem with this mug is the handle. All 6 or 7 mugs on display at Target had cracks in the handles! Unbelievable! The mug itself is really great, so I am going to buy the one without a handle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps things hot, but..., October 2, 2010
Jules (United States) - See all my reviews
I tested the mug and it kept boiling water hot up to six hours, hot enough that I couldn't keep my finger immersed comfortably. But... there are two openings on the lid for liquid to come out when the slider is turned to open, and one lines up directly at the handle and the other directly across from the handle. So I can't hold the mug by the handle and drink from where the openings are. This means the liquid doesn't reach me as easily, neatly, or in the quantity it would if I could drink from the part of the lid at the openings. I've tried getting the lid to go on differently with no success. I find this makes me not want to use the mug. It should be an easy, non-distracting thing to use while I'm rushing about in the morning, and this flaw makes it unpleasant. Also, in order to work as the great insulator it is, the mug uses multiple parts in its lid. The directions say to take all this apart and wash it every time you use the mug. I use a travel mug every day because I have so little time. Do I want to wash five mug pieces every night and then worry about my kids misplacing them? No thanks. If your top priority is a mug which keeps liquids hot for hours, this will do that well. If your top priority is ease of use, I'd suggest you look for something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell apart! Purchased 12/20/11 Got Refund 4/24/12, January 1, 2012
I was all excited about this cup for my hubby. I purchased it to replace the old cup he had which had a 'press-on' cap. This one screws on, has a great look and is built to last a lifetime...or so we thought.

After two weeks the upper part of the handle grip broke off in the dishwasher, it wasn't dropped. Then the handle began to detach itself from the cup entirely. The finish chipped etc.

It was not at all what I expected, which was for $25 bucks this coffee cup should last! The old brand of Thermos cups used to last a lifetime! My retired 79 year old uncle still has a Thermos cup from the 70's.

Don't expect longevity. And it obviously does not stand up well in the dishwasher.

Of course, AMAZON stood behind the product, but THERMOS did not. Amazon refunded me $12.50 but when they contacted THERMOS, they did not offer any warranty at all on this cup. So buyer beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a find, get one!!!!, August 13, 2010
Maina (New England) - See all my reviews
Got this for father's day but the handle was cracked so I returned it for a new one of the same kind (to Target). The cup works exceptionally well! I have left it in a VERY HOT car to the point that the metal on the top was very hot, but the ice water remained cold. It stays very cold for well over 9 hours. I put ice and water in my cup yesterday at 3:30pm, it's now 12:25pm the next day, i.e. around 20 hours and it still has ICE in it. About 2 ice cubes in size are left. Haven't found a better cup for cold beverages. I LOVE THIS CUP! I also like the open / close mechanism, very well thought out. Works for both left and right handed people. If you don't screw on the top all the way it still holds without leaking and if you close the top and turn it sideways or upside down there are NO LEAKS. Also, the seals are the high quality type, not cheap. Worth every penny and then some.

Rate and Discover Movies