4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, R-value doubtful, wear gloves
Published on January 19, 2009 by Joe Airaudi

3.0 out of 5 stars Measure your tank! This didn't really fit my 40gal.
Published on December 15, 2011 by George Burkhard

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, R-value doubtful, wear gloves, January 19, 2009
This review is from: Thermwell SP57/11C Water Heater Blankets (Tools & Home Improvement)
I got this product through Amazon because my local Home Depots don't sell them here in Austin. The product is just as described, it's basically fiberglass insulation with vinyl on either side. It is NOT sealed together, the way a down blanket is, it's more of a loose sandwich. It's easy to cut with sharp scissors, and you'll need to cut no matter what size water heater you have. Couple of things to note:
- I chose this model because it had the highest R-value (R10) in the description of any blanket/jacket I'd seen. The R-value was mysteriously missing from the product packaging, so now I doubt it was that high. You'd think they would capitalize on being 30% more efficient than the next model..
- I thought, since there is no warning to the contrary, that this was the kind of fiberglass you can handle with your bare hands without getting itchy. It's not, so wear gloves
For the money, I say get one, it can't hurt. Even though my water heater was cool to the touch while on, I can tell it's getting toasty under the blanket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Measure your tank! This didn't really fit my 40gal., December 15, 2011
George Burkhard (Palo Alto, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I figured that an item that fits "up to 60gal tank" would fit my meager 40gal. In the end, I did manage to get it to fit, but I had to cut it into multiple pieces. The 75" length was taller than my tank, but the 48" width was not enough to get around the circumference (and no, it would not even remotely fit if rotated 90 degrees). I cut off the excess from the height and taped it to the remainder to enhance the width, and with some stretching, managed to get it around my tank. The small amount of tape provided was enough to hold it all together, but not enough to completely cover the seams as indicated in the installation instructions. Also, the R-value probably suffered a bit from compressing the insulation so that it could fit the tank. They could've won a 5-star vote if they'd included a more reasonable size blanket and a sufficient amount of tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, February 8, 2008
Works great on a 50 gallon tank...installed in last then 15 minutes! Not problem and easy to install. I did 2 of them in about 20 minutes. All you need is a pair of scissors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price, below average insulation., January 9, 2011
Jan (Redmond, WA) - See all my reviews
CONS
- as other reviews this is too small for our boiler, but since our boiler is in the corner right at the two walls, I would not able to wrap it around the whole boiler anyways
- be ready for TONS and TONS of fiberglass dust after you are done everywhere in your garage - close car windows, doors to your house... (make sure to wear special clothes, respiratory mask, hat, glasses and gloves) - not exaggerating - you can argue that we are married with fiberglass these days - true - but even after adding blow-in (AttiCat) insulation to the attic it was not so messy job...
- more tape should be provided, used FlexFix from Nashua to fill the missing feets/meeters of tape needed

PROS
- after applying the insulated part is about 8F (4C) colder than the uninsulated part - so it really works (reason for 3 stars)

OTHER THOUGHTS
- let you wife know what you are up to so she does not feel surprised seing you hugging the boiler in the garage :) :) :)

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, January 31, 2010
Ferg's Mom (Houston, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
We noticed an immediate difference in the efficiency of our hot water delivery. One water heater is in the garage and the other in the attic, but both deliver a much better, more consistently heated water supply. This is the most cost effective energy saving project we have ever completed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, January 29, 2009
I purchased this product based on other reviews. Well, this 75" blanket doesn't fit on my 50 gallon heater. I thought I was smart to measure the tank's circumference before ordering it, but I forgot one thing.

The circumference of the tank is 75", and so I thought it would be a perfect fit. Well, it turns-out that the blanket is 3.5" thick and so I forgot to compensate that the blanket's thickness will reduce the overall length as I wrap it around the heater. So now it's 1 foot short and I can't close both of the ends.

Besides looking ugly, it wouldn't be effective in its job to save energy. Now I will have to go look for an insulation piece 1 foot x 4 feet long from Home Depot to cover the silly opening.

It's funny that they're advertising this product for 60 gallons when it doesn't wrap my 50-gallon tank that has 75" circumference. I suggest you measure your tank first and then add at least 12" on top of it to get a total blanket length you need. Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars doesnt fit my 50 gallon tank, December 7, 2010
Kim Middleton (Chatham, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this after reading that it would fit "most heaters up to 60 gallons". Well, I dont know if it will fit "most" or not, but it wasnt even close in height or width for my 50 gallon. After measuring, I now realize that my tank would need 52" x 90" at minimum to cover. What is worse is that the fiberglass gets everywhere once you take it out of the packaging. You need gloves, long sleeves AND MOST IMPORTANTLY a mask. I wore gloves and a long sleeve t-shirt and my arms still itched all over and I was coughing (HACKING, really) for hours after. CAVEAT EMPTOR and if you must buy it, wear heavy gloves, thick clothes and a respirator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Heater Blanket - Installs Easily, April 30, 2012
insulation jacket performs just like advertised. Holds heat in heater and installs easily. As noted in other reviews, it helps to have a little extra tape for installation. I used clear packaging tape to hold everything in place while I did the fine adjustment and trimming. Fine product highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars not sure what this would fit, January 27, 2014
I bought this for my small 40 gallon tank, thinking i would have no problem., it barely wrapped half way around it, wouldnt recommend to anyone, not sure how small a water heater would have to be to fit

2.0 out of 5 stars barely fits, April 6, 2014
This blanket barely wraps around an electric 40 gallon water heater. Yes , I installed it in the correct direction (48" high, 75" around). I had to pull reaaaaal tight to get the blanket to make a complete circumference. The tape included is pretty good but they should include 30 % more tape to acount for securing all the edges, including those cut areas for access to controls, valves, etc. The manufacturer should add another 12" in length and another 24" in height to account for covering the top and the fact that most tanks are 60+ " in height. Either that or start offering blanket kits based on actual height and diameters. One size does not fit all. If you had a 50, 80, or 120 gallon tank, there is no way this product would do the job by itself.

Thermwell SP57/11C Water Heater Blankets