Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 29, 2006
The book is a gem and my title describing it as intellectual humor with a touch of the loo is apt...The English are wonderfully fastidious with the use of language. When combined with a sense of modesty, a wry British sense of humor and a penchant for understatement, one has a delightfully funny collection of snippets from the "London Review of Books" personals. The Brits who contribute to these personals go out of their way to make themselves seem both interesting and unattractive at the same time. Nothing here is close to "likes long romantic walks on the beach" that one finds in U.S. personals... these individuals all have warts ...real or imagined!

It is a wonderful holiday gift sure to evoke peals of laughter from any adult with a pulse.
0Comment34 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2007
The personal ad in this review's title is from the LRB, but is not among this book's selections. Nonetheless, it provides one with the flavor of the treasures to be found herein. Actual paraphrased examples from the book include:

-- "Writing this ad has given the biggest sense of accomplishment I've felt since successfully ironing my pants for the first time (on June 14th, 1998.)"

-- "Blah, blah, whatever. Indifferent woman. Go ahead and write. See if I care."

-- "I used to have the sharpest mind in the land; now I can't even find my pen. Wait-- here it is!"

-- "Some chances are once in a lifetime. Not this one; I've been in the last 12 issues."

-- "I am not an accountant."

-- "Ppfffttttt, ssshhhhhhhhwwwwt, peeffwt, pffpt. Man, 36. Bad at whistling."

The only other thing that needs to be said is that editor David Rose provides some quite helpful annotations for the cultural references that might elude those of us on this side of The Pond.
on January 15, 2007
Heard about this on NPR and it was worth buying. Wonderful as a present, it was a great icebreaker at a party and had us all rolling on the floor.
on May 6, 2007
What can I say other than this book makes me laugh so hard that my ribs ache. The humor is dry, the personal ads are as precise as haiku, and nobody seems to be taking themselves too seriously. Well, maybe the "beardy physicist" who provided the ad from which the title was taken, but certainly not the parade of loners who have not forgotten that humor is the most powerful aphrodesiac of all.
on January 10, 2007
Two people who couldn't be more different, yet both absolutely loved this book. I cherished hearing their giddy laughter on Christmas day. This book is for the smart, the cynical, & the anglophile on your gift-buying list. Or buy it especially for single folks with a great sense of humor!
on March 23, 2007
A constantly amusing and often hilarious collection of real ads.

Usually self depreciating and frequently absurd.

Smiles, chuckles and belly laughs.

Highly recommended.
on January 16, 2008
Honestly, I think this is the funniest book I've ever read! I'm amazed more people don't know about it. I made the mistake of reading it on the subway and my I laughed so much that I started spluttering my coffee - people looked at me like I was insane but I just couldn't help myself!

Buy this book - but don't read it on the subway, you'll only embarrass yourself.

Maybe the publisher will bring out a paperback next Christmas and more people will get to enjoy it. A must-read for anyone who loves to laugh!
on April 2, 2007
This has to be one of the most enjoyable, off-center collections ever. The personal ads are all the more enjoyable because of their ironic tone and intellectual content. Despite some recurring themes, I was constantly caught offguard and found myself laughing uncontrollably. Absolutely delightful.
on September 28, 2007
I absolutely adore this book. I keep it at work sometimes and read the ads to my co-workers to brighten up our day. They are absolutely hilarious! This is a really funny coffee table book - great for conversation.
on December 12, 2007
This book is too funny and I have discovered it is a great book to have around. Whenever someone comes by and has to wait some, this is the book they pick up to read. Almost always.