5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Genealogical Tool!
Published on August 23, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Helps but ...
This book is not as inclusive as I had hoped.

While "They Came in Ships" is aimed at a wide audience if your ancestry is Italian you may find it to be more help than I did. Still I will keep it on my reference shelf to help my Slovak searching because it contains insights into immigration that are worth the purchase price.
Published on December 11, 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Genealogical Tool!, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
If you are, as I was, baffled by the maze of microfilm and sources involved in trying to track down your ancestors' ships lists, you need this book!! The author very clearly explains the how the films are indexed, the exceptions to the rules, etc. Perhaps the most useful aspect of this book is the way the author walks you through various examples of how to take whatever information you have about your ancestor and how to use the indexes to track down where to start searching for your ancestor's ship. I read this book cover to cover twice, then tackled the library, and finally accomplished something! I recommend it VERY highly. Since it's out of print, you may need to work to hunt down a copy, but you will be very glad that you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars They Came In Ships, April 24, 2000
By A Customer
There is an unbelievable amount of information packed into this book and it is organized in a way that works for both the experienced and new genealogist. I had almost given up finding my immigrant ancestors in several lines I'm researching until I discovered this gem. By following the step by step information given here, I was able to find them all! Don't overlook the bibliography. The information in it alone is well worth the price of the book. Thank you, Dr. Colletta!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Information, July 29, 2000
By A Customer
This is an excellent book for find passenger lists that are not at the National Archives.A must have for finding them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource, November 27, 1999
By A Customer
Concisely summarizes the methods by which passenger lists can found. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Came in Ships, June 26, 2004
Mo (Seattle, Wa. USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for anybody working on their genealogy. It is packed with information and is easy to read. Dont let the size of this book fool you! The author explains everything perfectly. There is so much information that you will have a hard time putting this book down. I recommend it for all, novice and professional genealogist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helps but ..., December 11, 2007
This review is from: They Came in Ships: Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
This book is not as inclusive as I had hoped.

2.0 out of 5 stars They Came in Ships - No Help to this Researcher, December 6, 2013
Silly me. I committed the cardinal sin of expecting this book to contain actual passenger manifests of ships sailing between major European ports and Colonial America. This book is a reference book of other references in which to find passenger manifests. After looking through it, I tossed it aside and chalked it up to a lesson learned. Be that as it may, while I find it of little-to-no-use, others may find if very useful. More power to them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ships, June 7, 2013
J. A. Brennan (Santa Fe, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
The book talks about using the films from the National Archives, however most of the information is available on the internet. So, not much new in the way of how to find the ship your ancestors may have taken to America. You really need to know some facts, to be able to narrow down the date of arrival, to then find your ancestor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancestral immigration, emigration by ship to America, July 28, 2009
Constance Lane "SC Trainer" (North Myrtle Beach, SC USA) - See all my reviews
Clear, concise and written to be referenced time and again. The resources are organized superbly. The bibliography is extremely helpful. For beginners, the flowchart at the back of the book that summerizes different approaches is invaluable. A quick easy read, then superb as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Guide to Discovering One's Past, September 9, 2014
I'm studying through Dr. Colletta's course "Discovering Your Roots: An Introduction to Genealogy," and this book is a welcome companion. I'm trying to track down my grandfather's arrival from Wales in the late 1800's. Thanks to Dr. Colletta's insights and clues, I'm getting much closer. He makes tracking your roots fun, and his writing style -- like his personality -- is highly engaging.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›