Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: They Popped My Hood And Found Gravy on the Dipstick
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 4, 2009
Todd Starne's book is a scream! His style of writing is laced with great good humor, while wisdom and practical advise is mixed throughout. Todd also uses verses from the Bible to reinforce his stories. We watch him deal with a potential death sentence: a defective aortic valve; the beginning of a major weight loss program; the death of both his parents within a few years time; and preparation to run the New York Marathon. Although this sounds like a book of depressing events, Todd managers to bring a warmth and wit to the story. This is a fast read and one that make you wish there was more of the story when you reach the conclusion.
on March 20, 2011
THIS IS A VERY FUNNY BOOK THAT COVERS MANY LIFE AREAS IN A SHORT BOOK. ALONG WITH BEING FUNNY YOU WILL FIND TOUCHES OF SORROW, AS WELL AS LEARNING ABOUT ILL HEALTH AND IT'S POSSIBLE RESULTS. GOOD HEALTH AND THAT SECOND CHANCE THAT WE ALL LOOK FOR IN OUR LIFE. A REFRESHING VIEW OF CHRISTIANITY .A SEARCH FOR LOVE AND SO MUCH MORE IN A COMPACT BOOK. A GOOD READ FOR ALL.
on April 4, 2009
Todd Starnes'story is a down to earth account of how he is dealing with some serious issues in life. His Southern Baptist accounts will have you laughing at one moment and then crying at the next. However, his story is written to humorously encourage all readers. If dealing with heart problems or obesity, Todd has encouragement for you. If dealing with other issues in life, Todd's advice remains the same. Take one step at a time. Set realistic goals. And by all means, establish a support system which includes God, family, and friends.
I purchased 12 copies of this book for my friends and family, and have heard nothing but great reviews from them!
on April 10, 2015
It was alright, just wish there was more stories about how he likes to drink pee.
on October 2, 2013
This was the second book by Todd Starnes that I have read and enjoyed. He makes a very serious condition funny and entertaining.
on December 3, 2015
So gross. This was the worst piss drinking, racist, book ever! No wonder Todd got fired from ALL of his other jobs. And he IS NOT an anchor. Liar
review image
on August 26, 2014
Love Todd Starnes & pray for his safety every night. He's telling the truth about the Obama administration & that doesn't always go over really well. What's going on behind the scense breaks my heart. I pray for my country also. If you care, please read this book & his other "God Less America!" Please & thank you, mary ellen
on June 23, 2010
They Popped My Hood And Found Gravy On The Dipstick
by: Todd Starnes
[...]

Mr. Starnes is the same humorous light hearted guy in person as he comes across in his book.
I found myself transported back to my past of big Southern fried dinners, sweet potato pies and buttery rolls. I blushed remembering the harsh and cruel comments I had endured as an overweight youth. I applauded Mr. Starnes' challenged to Christian leadership on the subject of gluttony. After inhaling the book in one day, I thought about it for weeks. How ironic that I would be blessed to meet and hear Mr. Starnes speak, buy and read his book at a defining turning point of my own. His words were more than inspirational, they have become more like driving directions for my own future.
Thank you Mr. Stearns for sharing your life with a fellow Mississippian, writer and lover of sweet potato pie.

Favorite Passages:

"I'm not sure why things turned out the way they did for me. I don't have a clue, I know that it's part of God's master plan for my life, but honestly, I don't know where I'm going next week, much less next year. But I do know this: we are called as His children to believe, to step out in faith, and trust that God will guide our path."

Take Away Value:

Lyrics from, The Song of the Sparrow.
I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free, for his eyes is on the sparrow, I know he watches me.

"The only reason I survive these past two years is because my relationship with Jesus Christ."

Warnings:

Isn't that true for anything we survive. This book isn't for you if you don't want to make a change for the better in your own life. Don't even take a peek at it if you're afraid it may help you overcome some obstacle in your life. I would label this with a sign which reads, "Beware of reading, Life-Changing decisions for the better- afterwards."

Encouragement from Mr. Starnes at the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference:

"Take the leap of faith from ordinary writing to an extraordinary life."
on December 14, 2013
Fabulous book...you laugh and you also really feel for Todd Starnes. He's the Will Rogers of our day! I want to read more books by him. I love to find a new favorite author....
on April 17, 2015
Starnes is an awful, terrible guy. I've reviewed his books (under duress) for some online publications. Run away from this god awful mess.