5.0 out of 5 stars How children survived an adult mess
Published on August 12, 2005 by The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept my interest but sometimes hard to follow what character I was reading about.
Again it kept my interest but sometimes had to go back and check who I was reading about...didn't seem to be in any kind of order. I know these were true experiences of these young boys but some of the stories seemed a little to advanced or above what would be in a 5, 6, or 8 year olds mind. It is unbelievable that such a young generation had to go through such pain and...
Published 21 months ago by Sara Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars How children survived an adult mess, August 12, 2005
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers (RAWSISTAZ.com and BlackBookReviews.net) - See all my reviews
In a land where family life was everything and the most fearsome thing was a prowling hyena or lion, fire suddenly exploded from the sky. THEY POURED FIRE ON US FROM THE SKY is the vivid description of the war in southern Sudan as seen through the eyes of three little boys, Benson, Benjamin and Alephonsion - who suddenly became homeless orphans and were forced to trek across Sudan to Kenya and Ethiopia without food or water. No longer having a father to frighten away the animals or a mother to prepare food, these five-year-old boys had to figure out how to survive. In addition to the horrors brought on by nature in the form of heat, no water, no food, hunting animals, biting snakes and insects, they soon discovered that people were not very nice to boys traveling alone. Frequently their food, clothing and blankets were taken from them or they were beaten and driven away. Even their own soldiers mistreated them and they found that after surviving so much and traveling so far, they were not exactly welcome in Kenya or Ethiopia. But survive they did to come to the United States to begin life anew.

This gut-wrenching book is a real page-turner and I found myself unable to put it down, even when the stories brought tears and indescribable anger. It was a real eye-opener to read of United Nations aid gone astray as locals took the best for themselves and left the refugees starving. There were, of course, the good people who helped the refugees with food and transportation and even lost their jobs because of it. If you never believed that war could change ordinary people into selfish monsters, then this is the book for you. The book is well written, flows well, and the transitions are so smooth that sometimes I found myself going back to the beginning of the chapter to see which lost boy was telling this particular portion of the story. There were amusing sections such as when the boys were preparing to go the US and they were attempting to learn about flushing toilets. One of them didn't remember what the book instructions said and managed to flood the restroom at the airport terminal. The things we take for granted get a new life when viewed through these boys' eyes. I recommend this book for everyone in America.

Reviewed by alice Holman

of The RAWSISTAZ™ Reviewers

5.0 out of 5 stars It will transform you, August 6, 2005
This is a book that I was afraid would be too painful to read. Most of us will never have the experience that these 3 young men and their "brothers" have had. But it is not about pain and sorrow. It is ultimately about Hope, Family, Education and their faith in God to get them through. This is a book that will surprise you, engage you and enrage you. Thank you , Judy Bernstein and everyone who knew this story needed to be told!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Poignant, June 21, 2005
SAK (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I found this to be a great read. Thoughtful and poignant, I got a sense of what it is to be a small child caught up in the devestation of a country at war. Several times I paused in my reading to take in parts of their story. I was emotionally touched. I was so taken by the book that I read it in two sittings. This is a great book for adults and teens - a personalization of a war in a faraway place written by three young men who now call America home. You will come to care deeply about these three little boys and understand the saying, "When two elephants fight, it is the grass that gets trampled".

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will penetrate your soul, September 6, 2006
This review is from: They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan (Paperback)
I usually read for fun, just to have a few laughs or to enjoy a good story, and then I put the book down. This book is not like that. It will penetrate your soul and stay with you long after you're done with it. It will change your concept of childhood and innocence. These children did not grow up watching Sesame Street.

The richness of the language, and the sensitiivity with which these boys describe how they survived experiences that would break an adult, just blows me away. And having had the privilege to follow their careers since arriving in America, I am astounded by how far they have come and the wonderful things that they are doing with the precious gift of life they have managed to escape with.

I think that any book club interested in a truly powerful novel should pick this book. There's endless room in it for discussion and interpretation, and I promise you, when you are done reading it you will look at the world with different eyes. There's a discussion guide on their website, by the way, and it's really stimulating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, September 8, 2005
As a former NFL player, I thought I was tough. But when I read what these young boys overcame, it made me appreciate what life is really about. A friend recommended the book and after I started it, I couldn't put it down until I finished it the next morning. Their triumph over all odds is uplifting. After the tragic events of recent days, this is a must read for all to learn about the strength of the human spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Poured Fire On Us From The Sky, September 5, 2005
S. Riley (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
I can not believe that I knew nothing of the war in Sudan before reading this book. This is something everyone should know. These boys endured so much at such a young age. The book really makes you take a second look at your own perspective on life. It is easy to read; You can put it down and pick it back up again at any time. (Although I doubt you would want to put it down.)

5.0 out of 5 stars An astounding story well worth picking up!, February 21, 2006
This eye-opening book is truly one that leaves the reader thinking about just how precious life and family are and how strong the will to survive can be. This true story of three boy's lives during this tragic and seemingly impossible situation (that unfortunately still exists today) left me in awe. I was struck by their solid familial bonds, strength of heart, and amazing fortitude to live. Though at times the story is incredibly sad and upsetting, in all it is wonderfully inspirational and a great read for adolescents through adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip a meal, lose some sleep and never complain about work again, August 17, 2005
Ms Jnel (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This book is the compilation of remembrances of three boys' travels as they were pushed from their warm beds, loving parents and the only home they'd ever known. --and all under the age of 7!

It is impossible to put down. I skipped meals, lost sleep and while DRIVING HOME from work today, I realized I could never ever complain about event the worst days of my employment ever again.

You just want to take these boys in your arms and tell them you're so sorry for not knowing this was going on....going on today and ever since 1983! Pick up this book and get educated. Your heart will never be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extraordinary Book, June 23, 2006
Tahara Anderson (Wantagh, NY United States) - See all my reviews
"They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky" is an amazing book. The Lost Boys' ordeal is unlike any I have heard before. The stories of Alephonsion, Benson, Benjamin and their family are beautifully told in this tragic but inspiring book. The experiences of these boys are shocking and unforgettable. While it was heart-breaking to read, there was a constant sense of hope when so easily there could have been a sense of despair. This hope pulled these Boys through and will undoubtedly pull the reader through. This is a book that should be read in every school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, September 17, 2005
This book is outstanding -- touching, funny and sad all at the same time. Definitely worth reading. The Lost Boys' stories - told in their own words - show the strength of the will to survive even among little boys you wouldn't think could survive such tremendous odds. It also reminds how much we take for granted - not only food, shelter and water, but also education. We shouldn't. We can't. Their courage inspires and reminds that we need to learn the reality behind brief headlines in our newspapers and reach out to help others.

They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan