5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic approach to teaching persuasive writing
I received this book too late to use it for my persuasive writing class. While I had moderate success with my other book, Everything's an Argument, I would certainly use this book if I had to do it all over again.

Published on July 28, 2006 by Tobin Sparfeld

3.0 out of 5 stars it is excellent. It is well written and also extremely approachable
If I had gotten this book as an undergrad I would have found it extremely helpful. I was asked to get it, though, for a graduate seminar, and it didn't really do anything for me at that point. But, for what it is, it is excellent. It is well written and also extremely approachable. If you buy this, though, you should be mindful of what your own academic skills are.
Published 5 months ago by A. Davenport

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic approach to teaching persuasive writing, July 28, 2006
This review is from: They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing (Paperback)

They Say/I Say is a short book with a simple premise -- it correctly states that no argument occurs in a vacuum, but must depend upon what others have to say about it. Moreover, the authors believe one of the principle difficulties which students have with persuasive writing is an inability to correctly utilize these necessary ingredients (introduce what others have to say on the subject, and then present their own voice on the matter). Though I am not a writing teacher, I have found this to be the case in my classes.

TSIS summarizes the important aspects of this conversation in persuasive writing and provides templates for students to summarize what others say, introduce their own points, and perform various other techniques. While one may think the use of such templates leads to formulaic writing, the authors suggest the opposite is the case. By understanding how to shape their ideas, students can learn to better express their orginal thoughts, thus making their writing more individual.

While I am inclined to agree, TSIS is not perfect. It certainly cannot be used as a thorough textbook on all persuasive writing, nor am I completely convinced that the exercises provided in the book are the most effective at using the templates in student writing. If teachers can get students to incorporate the ideas of TSIS into student's writing, however, they will accomplish much. Check it out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing Made Simple Again, April 24, 2009
Even as a writer, writing teacher, and rhetorician, I could not see how many gaps I left in my writing until this book. So much of the writing process was just flung at me in public school that I was fortunate to absorb dribs and drabs. Graff, Birkenstein, and Durst dismantle writing into a system, based on the most recent rhetorical research, and lay the process out in short chapters, plain language, and a scheme of templates that students can use to kick-start their own writing.

The authors' thesis is that writing is an uncomplicated process which can be reduced to a handful of rhetorical components. If students see writing as a social act, joining a larger conversation already in process, they will produce engaging writing which both they and their teachers will enjoy. Since the book is laced with examples of effective and ineffective writing, there is no doubt as to which the authors aim for, making evaluation a simple, somewhat objective process.

This book seeks to be accessible to a mass audience. It's written in vernacular English, using examples from current culture and respected print sources. It is so straightforward that teachers can use it at multiple levels, from advanced middle school up through college composition. It's so explicit that it could even be used without a teacher, with only a writing group or college writing center to fill in the role of hands-on assistance with individual problems.

This "With Readings" edition contains the full text of Graff and Birkenstein's original short primer of the same title. The original is less than 150 pages and can be digested in small segments by teachers and students alike. This edition contains over 250 pages of articles from respected print and online publications to guide students into the larger writerly discourse. Selected authors include George Will, Thomas Friedman, Eric Schlosser, and Barack Obama.

My only regret is that I did not receive this book sooner. My teaching career up to this point would have been both easier and more productive if I had enjoyed this text, which simply states everything I wanted to say. Both teachers and students often make writing a more difficult process than it needs to be, but this book strips the mystification away and makes classroom writing as easy and clear-cut as the conversations students already have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adults returning to school, August 2, 2010
My English 101 professor had us use this book to make our papers pop! Some may say that this book is elementary, but I think that it is perfect for those that were never taught how to build an argument in an essay/research paper. I find the templates useful, and I will use them until the ideas start to kick in naturally. This is an excellent book, and I will always have a copy on hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use framework for writing a critically thought out scholarly argument, October 22, 2010
pyero (Newbury, MA) - See all my reviews
In `"They Say/I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing', Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein provide templates that are designed to help students in college and beyond formulate scholarly arguments.
Specifically Graff and Birkenstein argue that the types of writing templates that they offer provide a framework for the development of critical thinking skills. As the authors themselves put it "Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this book is its presentation of many such templates designed to help you successfully enter not only the world of academic thinking and writing but also the wider worlds of civic discourse and work".
Although some people believe that critical thinking and writing are more complex than any set of linguistic templates, Graff and Birkenstein insist that these deeper thought processes cannot be used without the means to express them in a clear, organized way.
For the most part I agree with their approach. In my view the types of templates that the authors recommend provide a good framework for constructing academic arguments. For instance this book review has been constructed using one of their templates! In doing so it has allowed me to put their approach to a practical test, which has proven to be worthwhile. Some might object on the grounds that I have used their words as my own, and therefore I am not being creative. Yet I would argue that the words that I have contributed are my own and have allowed me to express my own ideas.
Overall I believe that Graff and Birkenstein's approach is extremely useful and provides a simple framework upon which to build a critically thought out scholarly argument - an important point to make given the simplicity and ease of use of this "how to" manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for beginning college writers, October 28, 2006
Jane E. Wohl (Sheridan, Wyoming) - See all my reviews
"They Say/I Say" teaching argumentation through a series of excellent exercises and templates. Generally I don't like templates for writing, but Graff demonstrates ways to use patterns and strategies that are extremely helpful for inexperienced writers. I will use this book or parts of this book in every composition class I teach.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best endorsement is that my students loved it., May 13, 2008
Kathleen M. Kemmerer (Wilkes-Barre, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I used "They Say/I Say" with my composition students in the Spring semester of 2008. Frankly, I had some reservations because the department required a fairly expensive handbook, and this would be an add-on. On the plus side, it was brief enough to go over thoroughly and was not too expensive. I thought it would be useful if students read it.

As usual, I made assignments in the book, and we discussed each chapter. I was surprised by student reactions when I surveyed students informally at the end of the semester. My students were very enthusiastic. Most said that they read it and referred back to it while they were writing. There were no negative comments, and most students felt that it was worth reading and had made their writing better. A few said that it made them more confident academic writers because it helped them to express their opinions beyond just agreeing or disagreeing with an author. Most astonishing, most said that they weren't planning to sell it at buy back because they found it so helpful.

It's unusual to find students enthusiastic about a composition text book. I plan to use it again next semester.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HELP IN WRITING EVERYTHING!!, January 4, 2007
This book is great. We use it in my AP Literature Class in High School and you can tell everyone's writing skills are improving. It's a great way to show people there are differnt styles of expressing yourself. Whether it's writing a 100 page persuasive essay or a short little speech to give to your local community, this book is a great asset to anyone's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Say/I Say is a smart and satisfying book., February 26, 2007
Tom Costello (Tarentum, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Graff and Birkenstein have written the best book about academic writing I've read. Its
strategies, or moves, extend way beyond the purely academic to all kinds of non-fiction writing and have been put to rigorous classroom tests both by the authors and by many of their peers. They Say/I Say is also a pleasure to read: Graff and Birkenstein practice the very writing lessons they're advocating, so that the book becomes a testimonial to itself, and to the wisdom of its own teachings. Even the interior design of They Say/I Say is pleasing and helps to convey the book's message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone Can Use This Book!, March 31, 2009
I bought this book for use with a college course on writing a research paper. This book is so versatile, all students and teachers should read it. TSIS broke down, in clear and simple plans, how to construct a valid argument and present it on paper. Yet none of the concepts presented in this book are things that have not been presented thousands of times before by thousands of teachers and professors. The difference is that TSIS diagnoses the issues with academic writing and cures them.
TSIS is an interpreter between a specialist and an amateur. You find yourself analyzing every paper you have ever written and thinking; "Oh, right! I get it now!" For every student who has been told over and over again "Why does your opinion on this topic matter?" or " You have some good ideas but you have no support," this is the book that will change all that. For every teacher with that kid in her class who says "Because its my opinion isn't it?!" or "Thats how I always did it before, why should I change it?" this book is the way to make him think.
The title says it all: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing, this book is like a manual to the chess game that is academic essays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great organizational tool for writers, June 12, 2011
Aunt Sam (West Dundee, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This was on the 'optional' list for my Practical Criticism class, but the 3rd time the prof mentioned it during lecture, I decided to buy it. I found it very worthwhile, and curiously, reading templates about how other people share their opinions made me more confident about using a strong voice in my papers. I went from B+ and A- papers to A and A+ ones...and feel as though my papers are MORE my own.

They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Cathy Birkenstein (Paperback - January 10, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01