Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: They're Coming For You: Scary Stories that Scream to be Read
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 18, 2010
As an elementary school librarian, the most frequent question I hear is "Where are the scary books?." That question is sometimes difficult to answer because so many children's books about ghosts and goblins fail to deliver the level of fright that many children desire. For the students that truly want a fright, I recommend "They're Coming For You", if it is in the library. The many copies that I have, rarely make it to the shelf. They stay checked out most of the time. "They're Coming for You" is one of the most popular books in the library. This is one book that I know is actually being read at home because I hear the younger siblings of the 5th and 6th graders repeating the phrases from the book. Joseph Kehoe has visited our school on several occasions and the students LOVE to hear him read passages from his books. This book of short, scary stories is ideal for reading aloud in the classroom, at a sleep over, a Halloween party or anytime you want a fright. It is a perfect blend of age appropriate children's content and scary scenarios. If you are looking for a great picture book, check out Kehoe's "The Yacumama." I read it to several classes and the students loved it too. "They're Coming for You" is a great book. You won't be disappointed. The students at my school never are!
on December 3, 2010
Watch out for the deadly book ahead! Stay Out! Mr. Coughin is a nightmare-worthy, heart-stopping, breathless author. O. Penn-Coughin has stupendously-scary bone chilling stories that have to be read. His mysterious voice is spectacular!
My favorite story is "The Missing Cat". Morgan saw a missing cat sign. He said to himself, "I will find a cat that looks like that, dye it white, and get the reward." That he did do. So, he called the lady. He was never seen after he went there. Now, is your chance...close the book right now!!
on December 4, 2015
I purchased this book to read to my daughter's 3rd grade class for Halloween. They loved the stories and were all asking where they could purchase the book and how much it cost. I was worried that it might be too scary for some of them so I chose stories that were less scary & one that was mildly scary. My 8 year old daughter then ended up reading the entire book (she regularly reads scary stories) and loved it!
on June 6, 2012
I drive a carpool of six children to school once a week. For those of you counting, yes!, that does fill every seat in my vehicle. As you might guess, the kids (who are all as close as siblings) are tempted to bicker and squabble in those tight quarters. The solution? Scary stories. I started this tradition a few years ago in a desperate attempt to quiet the children. And in order to hear a good scary story, they will sit quietly and hang on my every word (I read them the night before and then repeat them for the kids).

I've been through a few great anthologies of scary stories and this is a good one. Some of the stories are creepy, some are mysterious, some have silly endings, and some are downright frightening. All are about the right length for our 10-minute commute to school. And all are entertaining enough to keep the carpool chaos to a minimum!
on January 24, 2012
As an adult I was feeling nostalgic for something in the vein of the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books that gave me the creeps as a kid. The preview for this book stated that it is written in similar style and comparable to Alvin Schwartz's classic series. Don't be fooled. This book is not even remotely creepy. Not even would it frighten any child younger than 5. The writing style is also tacky and extremely censored compared to what Schwartz produced over twenty years ago, not to mention the gruesome sketches by Stephen Gammell that still give me shivers to this day. In fact, they just plain scarred me for most of my younger years!
Bottom line: skip this baby stuff and give Schwartz's classic series a read instead.
on July 24, 2015
I ordered this book to read to my daughter.Its a bit above her reading level, but we both are enjoying the short stories.I havent read them all to her yet, but so far im happy with this purchase.I recommend.
on March 17, 2014
This is the worse horror anthology I have ever read. the stories are intended for children, but that is not an excuse for them to read as if they were also written by children. The author has a bad habit of starting a good story and giving it a crappy ending. I wish I had never bought this rubbish.
on September 9, 2011
I only spent $3 on the Kindle version of this, and yet still feel cheated. These stories aren't scary, suspenseful, or even mildly entertaining. Here's a story:
Dad tells son a monster will eat him if he isn't good and strong. Boy asks mom and mom says everything is all right. Boy is eaten by the monster. The End.

Was that an exciting, scary, or even slightly original story? There is no mood to any of these, no build up of suspense, and no respect for the reader. I'm not expecting much, just some cheap entertainment and maybe a chill or two. These stories are too simple to tell anyone over age 4, but too macabre for anyone that young (lots of death, but no scares, chills, or excitement).

Try "Pumpkin Jack Skull" [...]. For one thing, it's free. Also, the stories, while nothing great, are far superior to anything in this book. So disappointed.
on October 27, 2008
Are you afraid to sit by the campfire and listen to ghost stories? Does hearing a scary story make you sleep with the nightlight on? If so, then you're not ready for this book. Sorry, this book is for ages 9 and up - and it's not for wimps.

But if you're sure you're ready for them, these stories will tickle your scary bone and give you "da chicken skin." Cemeteries, voices without bodies, and other creepy things in the dark will leave you begging for more. That is, if they haven't already gotten you yet.

The author, O. Penn-Coughin (a play on "open coffin"), is originally from Argentina, and he has blended some of his own culture into several of the stories. But he is kind enough to translate any of the Spanish words he uses, so none of the meaning is lost. A natural story-teller, he shares these stories with classrooms, and is available for speaking engagements.

Read this book if you dare. Oh, and don't forget to SCREAM!

Reviewer: Alice Berger, Bergers Book Reviews
on December 24, 2012
I bought this for a 12 year old as a gift. We tell stories around a fire, and all the kids want to contribute something, but they never can think of anything to say, so now they each bring their book out with a flashlight to read by.