5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Swayed By Anti-Emo Sentiment
Published on June 2, 2005 by J. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not my favorite.
Published on November 3, 2005 by Jimmy Jim Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Swayed By Anti-Emo Sentiment, June 2, 2005
I can tell that this whole recent wave of emo/screamo/pop punk/indie/anything that never used to appear on TRL reached its peak of popularity because good, quality cd's are now being bashed for being emo or any other said genre above. This cd being among them. If you're reading this because you have seriously considered purchasing something from Underoath, but have not heard anything from this album, don't be swayed by the sudden surge in poor reviews for this album. I've got a 10 dollar bill saying these poor reviews are for the new wave of anti-emo sentiment rather than for this album. On the otherhand, if you're not an audience for screaming and heavy riffs, perhaps this isn't for you, but don't let this new "be cool-hate emo!" concept sway your opinion or your desire to purchase this album. I rate this album 5 stars, not because I like emo/screamo but because I feel this album earns its 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever Heard Of Maturing?, October 12, 2004
Underoath was good on the first CD but they're about 20 times better now. "Oh no, they're not screaming all the time, they're actually doing some singing! Ew, they're too sissy for me now." Get over it. Bands mature, and maybe they decided this was the direction they wanted to go, maybe be a little more diverse in how their songs are set up. Nothing you bitch or moan about is going to change that. And frankly you need to be a little more open minded if you hate everything that isn't all screaming. That being said, this is my favorite CD of all time. Their new screamer is amazing, and the drummer's singing voice is incredible. The drums and guitars are tight and the production is the best I've heard. Even the artwork is sick as hell. And now for everyone's favorite thing, the track by track review. Woo.

01 Young And Aspiring - A short fade in and the band jumps right into it. Very upbeat. The synths add a nice touch, especially in the breakdown. The vocals are great when they overlap, and the last line will really hook you. "This is my finish, this is my call to arms."

02 A Boy Brushed In Red Living In Black And White - The beginning is just palm muting, and sounds a little Taking Back Sunday-ish, as does the verse. When you hear it you'll see what I mean. This song is one of the more poppy tracks, since a lot of the vocals are clean. The breakdown part is amazing with the programming. "Don't shake, I hate to see you tremble." One of the catchiest parts in the whole record.

03 The Impact Of Reason - For some this is the skippable track since it comes right before everyone's favorite. I'll admit it's not the BEST song on here, but it's definitely worth listening to. Mostly screaming with a pretty hardcore breakdown all within the first minute. Gets pretty catch at the end.

04 Reinventing Your Exit - Yay, it's everyone's favorite, the single. This song catches your attention right from the feedback intro and never lets you go. Really good singalong, and a great driving song. One of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard, it will not leave your head for days. "This is the way I would have done this, up against the wall, you've got me up against your wall."

05 The Blue Note - Just an instrumental interlude. It's skippable, but it's not bad. Kinda jazzy drums with brushes, and a keyboard. Ends with some weird voice effects.

06 It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door - This song wastes no time in bringing on the hardcore. Lots of programming and effects, including a quiet almost techno-like breakdown. Definitely the most experimental song on the record, it comes complete with distorted drum solo, directly followed by choir. The chorus is really catchy, especially when the whole band just kicks in. "Drowning in my sleep, I'm drowning in my sleep."

07 Down, Set, Go - Energy anyone? Starts off with a distorted intro, but everything kicks in eventually. The chorus is very energetic, another good driving song. It never slows down for a second. The acoustic breakdown is amazing, especially when it kicks back into whole band. "Whatever I say goes."

08 I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today - Probably the first new song they wrote, since it sounds a lot like old Underoath. This song is all screaming and pretty hardcore. Make sure you listen all the way through, the breakdown at the end is incredible. The very end is playing around with programming and a little mellow interlude.

09 I'm Content With Losing - My favorite song on here. Energy all the way through, and every single part is catchy. "I'm halfway there, and it's all on me. This is what I get for wanting more." The end is ridiculous, 4 vocal tracks all going crazy.

10 Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape - I think the screamer sang this song. His voice sounds like Copeland. The first half of the song is mellow with a synth drum beat. The whole band kicks in at the end. They're a christian band but the only time they ever mention Jesus directly is in this song. It's better when christian bands don't mention Jesus, because it shows that they're not using their god as a method of making money. "Hey unfaithful, I will teach you to be stronger." Great ending with harmonics.

If you read the lyrics they're amazing. They used to sing indirectly about god by referring to it like they would a girl. There's still a little of that but for the most part the lyrics got more diverse. Make sure you get this album, you'll thank yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, August 1, 2006
A Kid's Review
wow. this is an album that i didn't take out of my CD player for the first 3 months that i owned it. it's keeps me head bobbing throughout the whole album. but, to the actual review:

everybody seems to be complaining about this not being "real metal". and they're right: it's not. those are the people who have heard of the old underoath, or were dallas taylor day fans. If you are an old underoath fan, i don't recommend this album for you, because the music changes so drastically.it takes a much softer approach than their old work. honestly, i think spencer is a much better screamer than dallas, & he added so much to the band. however, the guitars really aren't that great. they sound similar throughout the whole album. chris dudley their keyboarder can do some really sweet stuff. if you are trying to get into hardcore/screamo, this is a good album to try out. the best parts of this album are the dynamic singing/screaming choruses that will leave you singing them over and over in your head. i recommend every track on this album except The Blue Note. It seems like a filler that really doesn't fit in with the album. my favorite tracks are Young And Aspiring, as it's a great opener showing what the album is all about, A Boy Brushed Red..., Reinventing Your Exit, which i think is the best singing/screaming combination of vocals on the entire album. my favorite track is It's Dangerous Business..., because of the awesome music & chorus, and last but not least, I'm Content With Losing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD In love with underoath, February 4, 2005
Chet (A bunker somewhere in Idaho) - See all my reviews
First of all, I was skimming through the reviews and a review that caught my eye was one written by xTragedyxBrittanyx "LiLBrit'" in which "lilbrit" expresses his/her oppinion on christian screamo. Having recently baught the cd and falling in love with it, I didn't absolutely agree with "Lilbrit". Most of the review was not unbearable untill the part in which "Lilbrit" makes the statement "I bet Jesus hates screamo too". This is where I felt I had to interject. Christian music is still christian music no matter how loud their music is or how hardcore they are, and if you really want to know what they are screaming about mabe you should look up the lyrics yourself.

The CD is great. Not having owned some of their older music I don't know how it is compared to their old stuff save for their song "When the sun sleeps" which is possibly the greatest song I have ever heard.

For the record I am one of the losers that clicked the "NO" button on your review. Mabe one day there will be Christian death metal but just because it's death metal doesn't mean it doesn't have a christian corel.

All who read feel free to click no.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just impossible..., July 5, 2006
... to find bands like Underoath just anywhere. I mean, these guys are really good singers, guitarists- everything. Plus, they're a Christian band, so their music always is uplifting and "safe for the whole family"- that is, except for those with sensitive eardrums. That being said, They're Only Chasing Safety hasn't left my CD player for a long time...

Underoath combines many things that could possibly attract a larger crowd than just Christians- in-your- face screamo lyrics, guitars that make even Ben Moody scratch his head in a preplexed manner saying, "Now how the heck did he do that?"... but I'm rambling.

Personally, my favorite song from the album is It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door. With a catchy chorus, pleasant use of a chorus singing "Drowning in my sea, I'm drowning in my sea...", and screamo for all to enjoy, I just plain love this song.

And to the guy who wrote that Underoath is a "bit too pushy about their Christian beliefs", I have a little question for you: Would you rather listen to Christian bands like P.O.D. or Underoath that aren't afraid to hide who they really are, or bands like Dashboard Confessional who are a good bit more popular but who rarely mention their true beliefs at all? In my book, standing up for what you think is right scores major points in my book.

In closing, don't let my rant scare you away from seeing my real message: If you like metal/screamo bands, you CANNOT miss Underoath- this band's for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting album..., August 23, 2006
I have to be honest. The first time I heard They're Only Chasing Safety, I only liked one song, and I said to myself, this is screamo crap, and it all felt like it was the same. The only song I liked was A Boy Brushed Red; and that was about it. For some reason I started listening to it again, and at some point the album just clicked for me. I started to like more songs each time that I listened to it. For me at least, when I actually listened to it with a open mind, I found something amazing and something that I had missed before.

This album is just about pure engergy. Its not the best album ever made, its not groundbreaking or totally original, nor is it music to look at deeply and analyze. What it is tho, is crack in music form. Its full of energy, catchy hooks, great riffs, raw power and emotion. Believe me, this is energy music if there ever was any. It pumps me up, I love listening to it in my car.

It's music you just feel, you don't have to think about it. It really gets under your skin and you can't stop listening to it. You have to give a album credit when it does that to you. Kudos to that. And I havn't got sick of it yet, so that says something about it as well. I'm not really into hardcore/screamo, but this is a really well done record, and it does hit you hard. Believe me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not my favorite., November 3, 2005
First off, I'm not that big a fan of screamo bands, but this one hit a "sensitive" note with me I guess you can say. I heard "Reinventing Your Exit" on Fuse for the first time, and I decided to check them out at the Warped Tour. They're performance blew away just about every other band there, so I decided to buy their album. A few songs stick out for me, but this isn't one of those albums with which you fall in love with every song. "A Boy Blushed Red" is another good tune. The screaming is melodic, heart-felt, and it doesn't seem to set itself apart from the music in any odd ways like with so many other similar bands. The lyrics are well written as is usual with most of these bands, and like most screamo bands, the lyrics are very "teen angst" or rather "emo" oriented. Which isn't a bad thing, just not everyone's cup of tea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brand New Sound, July 13, 2004
Fat Wood (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Underoath has changed a lot since their past CDs and I understand why a lot of fans would not like the new CD and singer. The only songs that sounded kind of like they could be on The Changing of Times (and my favorites) are "Young and Aspiring" and "I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today". The rest all sound a lot more melodic and a lot softer. They brought in a few new crowds, but lost big fans. This is personally one of my favorite CDs, and I like it just as much as their previous CDs. I recommend this CD to anyone who listens to Atreyu (did the same thing by changing their sound), The Bled, Poison the Well, From Autumn to Ashes, and As I Lay Dying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Stuff This Time Around, October 14, 2005
The new stuff on this cd is very good. You get "I've got 10 Friends" and some other remixes/alternative takes of songs all ready on the album. You get the bonus dvd which is the main thing you should be buying this album for. It has a crap load of features from like every tour they have been on for the past year, and it has them doing a bunch of stupid stuff. I respect these guys even more, watching their dvd, and understanding more about their faith. I give it 4.5 stars because it is still a cd that is all ready been out, and the last three songs, aren't exactly new songs. I've seen this band live once and I'm going to see them again in a month, and they are great live. To that dude below me a couple of reviews, dude chill out and quit complaining. I have been waiting for their new cd since Their Only Chasing Safety came out and I listened to it hundreds of times. I'm sure all the fans are very anxious about hearing the new cd, but give it time. If they rushed into the studio, then the new record would not be as good, and then you would complain about how much it sucks. So do what the rest of us are doing and wait until the new album comes out in spring. For now, enjoy the extra stuff and quit acting like a spoiled brat, who gets whatever they want. The band does not revolve around what you want, they are their own individuals, let the artist decide when to be ready to make the new album. It's people like you who piss me off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, April 24, 2005
This is one of those albums where you listen to every single song, and do not even think about skipping one. Each song is perfectly executed and anyone who tells you that Spencer Chamberlain is not as good as Dallas is crazy, I attest that he is better in every way. From the pure hardcoreness that is "I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today," to the soft, somber notes in "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape," this album will impress and satisfy any and all who appreciate this type of music... and hopefully even those who don't.

Standout tracks: ALL! but if i must, tracks 1,2,3,4,8