on November 6, 2012
This was just delivered to my door. Got 2 of them: one's to be a Christmas present. The packaging looks great. The original newspaper is reproduced and there's tons of good new stuff in the "Colour Supplement". Should make for a nice fun gift for the TAAB/Jethro Tull fan. I've only given it a quick listen to parts here and there. So far I've noticed a few differences from the original in the Steven Wilson 2012 re-mix. Whether I end up liking the tampering with my favorite Tull album remains to be seen. (5 Stars just because it's Thick as a Brick!). I'll try to update the review eventually. I didn't notice any strong indications of the nasty loudness war super compression yet.
I did notice that at the very end of the album, the "Yeah" that Ian Anderson quietly says, after the final "to be thick as a brick" is sung, IS MISSING! I mean c'mon. With such a big deal re-mix 40th Anniversary Deluxe Package of this classic, done I would assume, for the rabid fan (who would notice these things), and not the casual listener, you'd think all possible homework would have been done. It makes me wonder what else is missing or drastically changed. Does anyone remember the earliest releases of Aqualung on CD which faded out Wind-up after the hard rocking part, forgetting that the song hadn't quite ended yet. There's almost a half minute left with the song finishing up with a quiet acoustic verse! At least Chrysalis Records did the right thing back then by fixing the error for future discs and replacing existing copies with the new one free of charge.
Ah well. I'll probably enjoy hearing something new in this anyway, but in the end, continue to listen to my old versions.
P.S. I hope no one gives this a lower rating because the DVD is not a video. It's for audio and says so on the package.
--Update 11/24/12: Some good news regarding the audio glitches on the DVD 5.1 mix. I haven't listened to mine yet, but according to other reviewers, there are definitely audible problems there. Well I just noticed (as others already have, in the comments), the official Jethro Tull website [...] acknowledges an error occurred during the final stage of mastering. With apologies from EMI music, Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson, plans are to ship corrected versions to stores and replace defective discs for fans who have already made the purchase. Good for them! Thanks for doing the right thing. Check the Tull site for more information to follow.

-- 1-19-13 -- UPDATE WORTHY OF CAPS AND TOO MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!: As I've previously stated, this is my favorite Tull album. Spin me back down the years and the days of my youth, and you'll see I've known this music better than the back of my hand for too long. Other than the not so important to me glitches on the DVD, which I haven't even listened to yet, I've been listening to the cd in the car on the long commutes. I've found a horrible, non-glitch mistake! (Maybe it will be blamed on an innocent glitch!) A mistake which changes the music as I know and love it. And now that I've discovered it, I really don't care if there are any others on the disc. It doesn't matter because I won't be listening to this remix anymore, other than to use it as a tool with which I'll try to discover previously hidden subtleties in the music for curiosities sake. I KNEW there was something wrong with it! Something about the timing. I knew it, I KNEW IT! This is one reason why I don't like change!
OK, listen to the first couple of minutes of Tr. 2 which was originally side two of the vinyl album. Right after the first Barriemore Barlow drum solo break which starts at approximately 1:32, there's that cheerful, little melody (beginning at 1:41), being played on flute and chimes I believe, whilst Barriemore keeps pounding away at the kit. (Cool thing: Listen to the high hat keeping the constant tst-ts, ts-tst, ts-ts, through all the wild drumming abandon.) You'll notice that the short theme is immediately repeated without a break, beginning at approx. 1:48 and continues until the entire band rejoins the music at approx. 1:54. But they rejoin before the repeated theme is finished. The little flute/chime melody and the return of the whole band playing, don't match up.
I believe that my brain was uncomfortable for the first couple of listens, during the ride to work in rush hour, knowing there was something "off" before I did. Then I started hitting the rewind a little bit to check on something that didn't sound right. "Yes, that's not how it goes. Is it?" Was it possible I missed this and had it wrong all these years??!! My suspicions were confirmed after listening to my earlier cd releases at home: THE WHOLE SECTION WAS WRONG!! On the originals, the little flute melody begins at approx. 1:41, continues to approx. 1:48, pauses, then picks up again at approx. 1:52 with ONLY the first five notes! They don't repeat the whole thing! This allows a split second or so for the drum solo break to just wrap things up on its own, before the band comes back in, leaving the whole piece sounding perfectly timed and placed... Like it's supposed to be... Oy!
Is anybody with me on this? I feel I'm rambling and maybe not making myself clear. Or maybe no one cares. "Is it warmer in the summer than it is in the country?...Or who cares?" : Curly Howard. Or as Ed Norton might say: "Am I coming through out there in television land?"
Well, I would normally be fuming mad, but I'm comforted in knowing that I already have numerous copies of Thick as a Brick in multiple formats, in its previous original state, just the way I like it. Steve Wilson does not have my permission to touch them.
...Alright, I am fuming! Just a little. For the sake of future listeners......and me. I HATE IT!
I regret I must drop the star rating down from 5 to at least 3. I hope Amazon restricts the rating to just this version.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2012
I just received my replacement copy though I have not listened to it yet. If there is anything wrong I will repost. I bought mine through BurningShed.com so I am unaware if Amazon received replacement copies. I would assume contact their customer service to see. I have now changed my rating to five stars but will leave the previous post below for reference. Thank You Steven Wilson, Ian Anderson, EMI and Burning Shed, you are all Top Notch!

*Old Post* There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" there is audio defect that is heard. I confirmed this with my brother, on HIS equipment, with HIS copy. The CD however is good to go! I agree with the previous reviewers that it sounds excellent, not as good as the Aqualung 40th but still sounds excellent. But to pay the money for the 5.1 mix and have this issue, I would wait until it is fixed!
8484 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
I agree with George Springer- there are audio glitches at times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" on the 5.1 DVD. EMI needs to acknowledge these and fix them. Otherwise, great product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2012
I loved the 40th anniversary Aqualung, so my anticipation was very high for this release. Thick as a Brick is one of my favorite Jethro Tull albums and I have played it hundreds of times over the last 30+ years. Sadly, the loudness wars and poor quality control have ruined this work of art.

The DVD has glitches, and when compared to the Mobile Fidelity gold CD, this re-mix's mastering sounds less dynamic with the drums somewhat buried and the cymbals have a harsh, unnatural, irritating quality which I find to be fatiguing. Ian Anderson's vocals have been brought forward and the treble boost that degrades the cymbals has added a bit of an unpleasant sharp edge to his voice. Warmth and deep bass are also nonexistent.

The Aqualung 40th Anniversary CD was a revelation due to the tremendous improvement in clarity, texture, and space added to the sound. None of this is true with this release of Thick as a Brick.

I can't begin to comprehend why Peter Mew, the mastering "engineer," felt such a need to ruin Steve Wilson's mix by squashing the dynamics and boosting the high frequencies to such an extreme level. In my opinion this is a heartbreaking lost opportunity for Jethro Tull fans.

If you have the 1997 25th anniversary remaster maybe this may sound like a small and expensive improvement over that release since it is also compressed and crispy, but when compared to the Mobile Fidelity remaster this 40 Anniversary Edition is significantly inferior.

I have returned this insulting disgrace back to Amazon and EMI.

This release is a perfect example of why I rarely ever buy new CDs. They tend to be poorly mastered and inferior to older or original releases.

UPDATE: It appears that EMI will send out a replacement DVD. The new DVD will fix the glitches on the 5.1 surround version. This repaired 5.1 surround will also be a flat transfer of Steve Wilson's remix, without Peter Mew's awful alterations to that mix.
Unfortunately, those of us who want Steve Wilson's unaltered stereo remix on the CD or DVD are out of luck. The CD will not be replaced and the only change to the DVD is the revised 5.1 surround version which had the glitches, not the stereo portions.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2012
I agree with many of the other reviews here, The sound is very good in some areas and excellent packaging but that is it. There are audio glitches at times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" Also Ians voice starts in front then it starts moving to the rear or just floating in mid-air. High end to me is a little harsh and lacking in bass. There are audio dropouts too. Burning Shed knows of this problem and they are replacing the defective disc with the new one free of charge when the replacement disc is available. I think Amazon should do the same when the replacement is available. It's a shame to get a defective disc, this was one of my favorite albums.

Update from Burning Shed: *Copies in stock now contain the corrected version of the DVD.
(The original batch had faulty discs. We have sent replacements to anyone who ordered a copy with a faulty disc)

I hope Amazon is going to do the same now that new discs are available.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2012
I just finished listening to the 5.1 version of "Thick as a Brick." I was stunned by how amazing it sounded. It was like hearing the album for the first time. (I should point out that this is the first album I've heard that was engineered with 5.1 sound.) Producer Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree is a wizard. I'm a big PT fan but I wondered how he would treat this 40 year old classic. It's apparent early on that he respects and understands the music. Ian's flute washes over his vocals. Martin Barre's double lead lines are fully separated and fully engaging. The keyboards are apparent individually and also as a framework surrounding the piece; almost an aural figure-ground relationship. I've listened to TAAB hundreds of times and I heard instrumentation today that I had never noticed. One thing SW does that I liked was to meld Side One and Side Two into a seamless work. I wondered why they didn't do that when it first came out on CD. Other Tull fans may disagree but I prefer the new version.

I didn't notice any production noodling, like making a guitar line dance around all the speakers. I remember listening to "Frankenstein" on a quadraphonic system back in the day. I thought it was pretty cool at the time but it was just some studio trickery that didn't really add much to the song. The production on TAAB is immersive, not gimmicky.

I could go on with the superlatives but this was simply a transformative experience. If you liked "Thick as a Brick" before, the 5.1 version will blow you away.
on March 14, 2013
Comments are on the 5.1 mix. I know this album note for note and have never heard it this clean.The 5.1 mix is flawless all the channels are present but very centered. This is not one of those gimmicky remasters. The sound is bright clear and it washes over you. I highly recommend it in 5.1. The stereo is equally well done but lacks the separation that allows each instrument to have its own voice.Go Get it
on November 10, 2012
My original review follows the line of asterisks. After living with this package, I have to admit it's not worth buying. I'm dropping my 4-stars down to 1-star.

The surround mix, both in DTS and Dolby, is strident. If you crank it, this is one annoying album.

There's no reason to remix this album in stereo, so I haven't listened to the Steve Wilson stereo remix.

The only thing that's worth hearing in this package is the 24 bit / 96 kHz flat transfer of the original master. It rocks, but is very close in sound to the old MFSL gold CD, which I also have. So I will probably never play this disc again.

The only reason I even heard the flat transfer is that I tried listening to the surround mix again today, and I really couldn't get through it. But Thick As A Brick is such a great masterwork that I had to hear the whole thing, so I switched to the stereo flat transfer. Very, very nice.

Other than that, this is a massive screw-up by Tull. It should be corrected with an error-free smooth SACD surround release, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

***************************

..."Thick As A Brick" in surround sound! This is my favorite Tull album. I wanted to hear "Aqualung" in surround as well, but that costs an arm and a leg in a deluxe package full of stuff I don't want. I wish they'd release "Aqualung" in this format.

This package is excellent, the DVD menu is superb (the newspaper pages turn on the newspaper going from one section to the next in the piece - you'd have to see it to appreciate it), and it'll take me more than one listen just to read the whole book that comes with it.

As mentioned by others, there are three digital gremlins in the first three minutes, but it didn't warrant a 1-star rating. I didn't even notice them on the first listen, but it'd be great if they offered replacement discs.

The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the mix, though superb in placement, is a bit strident. My DVD player goes right to amplifiers with no EQ in between, so I can't adjust the bass and treble. Owning about 300 surround titles, I've never felt the need to adjust them until I listed to this disc. Steve Wilson must've changed his monitoring environment, because his other surround mixes such as King Crimson's "Discipline" sound wonderful. This needs a bit of a treble cut and a bass boost. I got around it by turning it down a bit, but that's a drag. I wanted to BLAST this disc!

All in all, worth getting, because this is probably it, folks, as far as a surround mix goes, and the packaging is superb.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
The new re-mix of "Thick Is A Brick" is simply amazing. It's like a veil has been taken off to show a clearer, more vibrant sound image. The packaging replicating the original newspaper is excellent and the original mix is here in 96 khz/24 bit sampled glory. But the new hi-resolution 96khz/24 bit stereo re-mix and 96khz/24 bit DTS surround sound re-mix by Stephen Wilson are the main centerpieces here.
Mr. Wilson has done yet another masterful job, equal to the one he did on the "Aqualung" remix a couple of years ago. The muddy, slightly boxy sound of the original re-mix is gone and with both the original mix and the new mix on the same DVD it is easy to compare them.
On the new mix Ian Anderson's voice has a clarity and vibrance to it never heard before. The mix is open, clear and rich and the instruments and voice on the more complex parts of the album are more clearly delineated and less cluttered than the original mix. There is absolutely no comparison between previous releases of this classic album. The Wilson mix will stand on its own as the definitive re-mix of this album for years to come. The 5.1 mix gives any Tull fan the chance to listen to this album like he/she has never heard it before and it is definitely worth it. Highly recommended for new and old listeners!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2013
Progressive rock at its finest. If you like the peculiarly British sensibility for quirky weirdness (and who doesn't?) that is dished up with amazing musicianship, constantly changing time signatures and tempos along with baffling yet poetic lyrics (think Yes, but with a baritone vocal), then this is the one for you! The quality of the sound on this remastered edition is superb.
Do yourself a favour and buy it. Now.