Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 27, 2012
If Madison and Alexandre thought their troubles were over, they were sadly mistaken. In "Thicker than Blood" they, together with their families, are once again plunged into a world of adventure, danger and life threatening situations. On the other hand we have Elia's story which is set in sixth century Byzantium. Finally it looks as though we are going to get some answers to questions which arose in "Hidden", the first book of the Marchwood Vampire series. Answers that fill us in on how exactly the vampires came to Byzantium and what caused the strange sleeping disease that had disabled so many vampires for fourteen centuries. Not having had much time to experience life as vampires when they were newly created in the nineteenth century, Alexandre and the other Marchwood vampires only knew that sunshine - and now ultra violet light - can kill them. In this book they also discover other dangers to their existence, as well as the possibility of being put back to sleep if they are not careful.

Once I started reading, I simply could not put this book down. With action and adventure and fear for these beloved characters' lives and well-being from the very first few pages, combined with suspense that just never lets up until the final page, it is not surprising that the author - who is a genius with cliff-hanger chapter endings - switches back and forth between sixth century Byzantium and modern day Cappadocia and England, with ease; thus ensuring that the reader keeps turning the pages.

The characters truly come to life - Alexandre, still the nineteenth century French aristocrat, Freddy, the British aristocrat of the same time period and on the modern end of the scale, Madison and her brother Ben. Add to this variety of characters a few sixth century individuals and the story is as colorful as it gets. As all the characters are realistic - not all good or bad - the suspense becomes unbearable when a traitor seems to be working with the enemy.

The author's comfortable story telling ability combined with her extremely neat writing, makes "Thicker than Blood" sheer pleasure to read. For those who love a bit of romance, the love between Madison and Alexandre is beautifully and tastefully described and will definitely touch your heart.

This thrilling and beautiful book deserves more than 5 stars, and will have the reader looking forward to many more from Shalini Boland. (Ellen Fritz)
on February 21, 2015
Great backstory! Really kept me turning pages and summed up how the story came to be in a fascinating way, especially since I wouldn't have guessed all that was involved.

The hook at end seems like a great chance to change up the series, so something to look forward to in the next book.
on April 10, 2014
This sequel is worth the 5 stars I gave it. It is a sequel, but it is an interesting and worthy book on its own. It has plot twists and turns, complex characters.and a rich depth of history that the author has created- but feels real. I definitely do recommend reading the first book to gain more knowledge of the characters and story before reading this, however.

The book is well written and edited, using U.K. English. It pretty much just starts as if you've just read the first book, and goes on from there. The characters continue to develop, and we continue to see history now and from the past with the underground cappodocian people as we did in the first novel. I felt again, that this was a great way for us to see the characters from a full perspective instead of wondering how it all connected.

I highly recommend this book for YA/Teen to adult readers. It is complex and interesting, and can be enjoyed by everyone (young teen and older). I think the plot twists are surprising and unexpected, and I will be waiting to see where the next book takes us as readers!
on February 4, 2016
In this book, you get in deeper to the backstory of how the Cappadocia vampires came about. The back and forth between eras works just as well in this book as it did in Hidden, as the eras do meet up again as the pieces all come together very well.
on April 3, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. We got to see how it all began. The history of the demons was more interesting than I thought it would be. And the suspense of what would happen next kept me turning the pages. I'm ready for the next one.
on May 19, 2016
The creepy Cappadocian vampires are back in the second volume of the Marchwood Vampire Series. This time they have kidnapped Madison so everyone but Ben gets to go rescue her. Only this time someone is working for the creepy vamps. This one isn't as scary as the first one but it's plenty suspenseful. And all our favorite vampires are back in full form, Alex, Isabel, Jacques, Freddie and Leonora are ready to rush to Madison's aid. This one is just as good as the first and I'm eager to read the final book. Recommended!
on April 22, 2012
Well, just finished the second book in the Marchwood Vampire series and I could not be happier about it .

The story continued to be absolutely gripping and pulled me in from the first page on. It was wonderful to see, how the different characters adjusted /or not and what path they choose.

Madison and Alexander were able to realize how much they love and need each other. As for the other Marchwood Vampires, they found their way to adjust to the new situation they were thrown in in this second installment. ( don't want to give any spoilers away , sorry.). New characters were introduced , which I hope will remain in the third book of the series. Everything is fitting so well, that when I was done , I looked desperately for any hint of book 3 and hoped I read wrong, when I saw that we have to wait till 2013 for book 3.

The book ends with a cliffhanger, which makes me of course even more curious how Mrs Boland is going to continue, but she does not have to worry , I am hooked on this series and I will wait patiently ......
on June 21, 2012
OK... so perhaps it's obvious that I'm one of Shalini Boland's biggest fans but I can't help it - her books are just so brilliant. I've been eagerly awaiting Thicker Than Blood, Part 2 of the Marchwood Vampires series since I read Hidden (twice!). I completely fell in love with the first book well over a year ago and you can therefore imagine my excitement when I saw that she was finally releasing the sequel! SQUEAL!
Needless to say, I couldn't put the book down, it gripped me from the very first page and continued to do so throughout. I am so excited that there are going to be more in this series, my only hope is that I don't have to wait too long for the next one!
A superb read!
Suzy Turner
Author of The Raven Saga
on April 19, 2016
I am absolutely fangirling over here over this compellingly smart series. If you are anything like me you are probably a little weary about yet another vampire series but this is why we keep reading them, for that rare treat of a damn good writer who brings back some class and sophistication to our beloved vampire stories.
I wrote that four days ago and have been struggling to come up with what I want to say and how to say it. Sometimes simpler is better so let me say this, if you don't want to run out and grab the series and read it immediately then the failing is mine. It's just a great damn series!
Although I am a stickler for reading things in order I will say that book two can be read without reading the first one without any big gaps of missing information. The author does a superb job at catching you up.
on February 18, 2013
Thicker Than Blood is a great follow up to Hidden, and I am definitely hooked on the Marchwood Vampire Series! I can't wait for the 3rd book to come out this year! If you haven't already, you should also check out Shalini Boland's other books, the Outside series. Even though both series are categorized as YA, they are just as enjoyable for adults!