5.0 out of 5 stars 39 years of loving this book!
Published on June 14, 2004 by James Hutchinson

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess I'm the only one, but.....
Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE Dr. Seuss fan. We have almost all of his books and love reading them. I bought this one as a Christmas gift for my 2 year old son and we were so excited to read it. The story starts out super cute with a moose that has uninvited guests in his horns. But the ending is disgusting. The guests all end up stuffed up on a wall. The...
Published on December 28, 2008 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars 39 years of loving this book!, June 14, 2004
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I bought this book 39 years ago at a church sale when I was 6 years old--yes, I used my own money! I loved it then and I love it now. The illustrations are a hoot--seeing one critter after another move into poor Thidwick's horns has always made me laugh. And, I like to think of myself as a nice guy too and a moral fellow, just like poor Thidwick. So, the lesson of seeing people take advantage of one's good nature has served me as I've gone through life. In college I majored in Political Philosophy and I thought of this book then. The lesson for me was--Bad people will use your morality against you while themselves being unaccountable. Bad people will break the law all the time, but if a good person breaks the law...listen to them scream! And of course, poor Thidwick will do anything to keep from breaking the law (in this case the law of hospitality), even starve to death or be shot by trophy hunters, rather than eject his "guests." The law has been distorted and perverted in Thidwick's case. His immoral guests remind Thidwick that if he's to be a good host then Thidwick must cater to their needs. They don't / won't consider Thidwick's needs. The ungrateful guests seem offended that they might have some responsibility for Thidwick's suffering. Years later when I read a book by Ayn Rand, I thought of Thidwick during several passages. But this is most importantly a children's book that children love! My 4 year old son picks this book to have me read it to him regularly. If he didn't like it, what would it matter that his dad likes it so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Dr. Seuss book, May 17, 2001
C. Barnes (Westfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
..I won't write pages retelling the whole book. I just want to tell you that this is my favorite Dr. Seuss book and I have a copy that I received as a gift when I was 7 years old. My copy is over 30 years old and I have taken it in twice to read to my children's classes. My four kids love this book and their classes loved it too. A great book - buy it for your child and I'll bet that they will have the book 30 years from now and will be reading it to their kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of two of my favorite Seuss's, December 1, 2000
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I remember this book from growing up 30 years ago. The story of a overly gracious moose and how some of his woodland 'friend' take advantage of him. It is classic Seuss with wonderful rhyme and wording. This and McElligot's Pool are now staples for our children's bedtime reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Stuffed! Fish and Guests Smell in Three Days!, March 16, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Thidwick's adventure begins simply enough. He is marching along on the shores of Lake Winna-Bango, on the far northern shore, looking for moose-moss to eat with 60 other moose. A small Bingle Bug nicely asks Thidwick for a ride "for a way." Thickwick replies, "I'm happy to share!" Most of us would have said the same.
But what happens when a guest overstays her or his welcome? In Thidwick's case, his horns become a veritable zoo of wildlife. There is a Tree-Spider spinning a web, a Zinn-a-zu Bird who gets married and builds a nest, and their uncle the woodpecker who pecks holes the squirrel family inhabits. And so on it goes, to include a bobcat, turtle, fox, mice, fleas, a big bear . . . and 362 bees!
Thidwick is like the horse in Animal Farm. He's providing all of the work and benefit, and everyone is bossing him around. Why, they won't even agree to let him leave with the other moose to find more moose moss. Why is Thidwick willing to put up with this? What are the benefits of having a big heart in this situation?
How does Thidwick end up in this mess? Well, having accepted the Bingle Bug, the subsequent guests ignore Thidwick and ask the earlier guests instead if they can move in. Thidwick honors his first commitment, extends it in time and to the new inhabitants.
As a result of Thidwick's dilemma, this book provides a good opportunity to discuss sharing with your child . . . and explain the benefits and limits of sharing.
Your child will run into people who will try to take advantage. This gives you a chance to ask your child what he or she would do in Thidwick's situation.
The story's resolution is a most original and humorous one that makes good use of the mental picture of shedding your onorous burdens.
This story is illustrated by Dr. Seuss, as well as written in his best rhyming way. The drawings of the creatures in Thidwick's horns come close to matching many of Dr. Seuss's most imaginative mechanical devices. The horns of this dilemma are funnier than those devices, because this concoction is based on animals and natural processes.
The story is a pretty easy one for five to six year olds to learn to read, because many of the words are short and rhyme. The illustrations also "name" many of the nouns. The humor provides "hooks" for memorizing the words.
I also liked the idea of introducing children to the concept of treating a guest well, even if the guest does not behave well. Our society would be much improved if we all did a little more friendly hosting.
After you finish enjoying this story, ask your child if she or he knows of anyone who is like Thidwick. Ask your child what that person should do differently.
Enjoy having a big heart . . . and hosting others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun time and time again, November 5, 1998
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
This book has everything - a good plot, a moral, a surprise at the end and a good range of vocabulary. If you get really involved it also manages to produce a range of emotions too; satisfaction at the nice beginning, growing annoyance at the pests, fear and curiosity about how it can end. It also has a few tricks in the scanning of the rhymes to keep you alert. I love reading this book.
PS My 4 year old likes it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atlas Shrugged for Kids, June 27, 2009
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Strange. Apparently the "professional reviewers" didn't get the point. Nor did almost all of the other (generally good) reviewers.

This book is not about an oddball moose. It is not about "bewilderment".

This book is "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand, in a very short form.

Thidwick, after first believing that being helpful and "good" is the right thing to do, finds out in the end that all the leeches in the world will gladly do nothing as long as someone silly enough gives them what they want.

Then, in a moment of inspiration, just like Hank Reardon, he "shrugs"... and the leeches get their just desserts. Stuffed.

Read it again, and think. And then pick up "Atlas Shrugged".

5.0 out of 5 stars Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose, December 13, 1999
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
A wonderful story that is loved by both of my children (ages 2 and 4). Thidwick is a moose who allows a bug to hitch a ride in his antlers. Other animals see this and decide that they want to hop aboard too. Soon Thidwick is giving a free ride to a bunch of animal pests, but he is too big hearted to send them away because "a host above all must be nice to his guests." A surprise ending solves the problem and teaches a good lesson too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thidwick is always remembered, May 29, 2000
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful children's story that I remember reading as a child. It has such an impression on me, I never forgot the story nor the moral that Dr. Suess implied in this tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dr. Seuss Book ever written, January 30, 2007
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I first read this book when I was a little girl. I was really impressed with it then, of all the Dr. Seuss books I thought it was the best because of the message. The poor moose is so soft-hearted, he lets everyone take advantage of him. It has a wonderful message for children to learn about "users". If you only read one Dr. Seuss book to your children, read them this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, entertaining book with a useful message for kids, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I have read this book to all my kids. It teaches a valuable lesson -- just because a lot of people disagree with you doesn't make them right and you wrong. The book teaches this lesson in a humorous way. It is a lesson that all kids should learn before they face all the peer pressure that they will naturally run into during middle school and high school. If this book was read by more parents, my guess is that we would have a few less problems in society.

The couple critical reviews either focus on the condition of the book that they received or that that they were upset that there was hunting at the end of the story. If I bought the books from Amazon and not a third party as I suspect that particular customer did, I haven't had any problems with their books. As to the hunting, it was essentially to show that there were consequences to the actions for the animals who were taking advantage of the moose. Indeed, those actions almost caused the demise of the moose also. Second, I haven't had any problems discussing hunting with my kids as they have to understand anyway where our food comes from. At some point any child has to learn that the hamburgers that they eat come from cows. I really don't see the big deal about all this.

Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss)
Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - September 12, 1948)
$14.95 $12.57