Published 4 months ago by Braden Pickering

1.0 out of 5 stars Absurd amount of errors in this guide.
Published 9 months ago by William Garner Haines IV

1.0 out of 5 stars Absurd amount of errors in this guide., March 4, 2014
This review is from: Thief: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides) (Paperback)
I pretty much own every guide for every game I own. While there's always a mistake here and there... this guide has a numerical mistake... or wrong collectible location... even some grammar mistakes here and there lol. This must have been a very rushed guide to print. What makes it funny is it has a big approved by the developers logo on top... after two days of playing.. had I been a tester finding mistakes for this guide I would easily have 30 + mistakes to submit for correction.

One big issue with the guide is the document collectibles don't add up with the total listed in the game. There are 23 missing documents in this guide. I tend to think it might be a bug in the game... till I found one document not listed in this guide finally. When I asked a question about this on the thief message board to see if anyone knew what the issue was... Prima immediately deleted my message topic..... so they're trying to hide the fact how awful this particular guide is. They really should be embarrassed. By the way... This guide also does not help with the find all secrets achievement.. It isn't even a part of the guide.

I would steer clear from this guide and use one of the multiple free walkthroughs that pop up. There are a few people trying to make a find all secrets guide... But only 2 or 3 people are known to have even found them all in the world so far.... and they even say they have no clue how they would do it again since the game itself doesn't even keep track of the locations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thief is a complicated game., March 12, 2014
First off the reason I am going to choose a rating of 2 stars is this game guide has some serious issues. The main issue is in the game the main character you play as, is Garrett a master thief. The first thing you need to do in the game is find ALL 398 items in the main city, thats ALOT of items. The game guide miscounts some items (As in the guide counts 1 item sometimes as 2 items when it is really only 1 item.) even miscounting ONE item means that Garrett will not be able to find all 398 items and you will not get the achievement for being a early thief. I have been going through this guide for over ten hours and not even on chapter 2 yet, I am still going through the city. Even after all our time looking for these items which will be about 14 to 16 hours of play time there will be no point because the guide fails to find all the items. They claim to find them all but its a serious error as I said the double counting of some items makes there guide wrong. Also there are spelling errors I have found in this Thief guide and it's more then one. To anwser the final question I would recommend this guide to players that ONLY want to do the main missions, it is a good tool for that but that is only about %50 of the game. This in my opinion should be called the most complicated game of 2014 thats why PRIMA is not getting a 1 star some of there information is correct but as I said many issues. I am going to be buying some Thief posters off Amazon, the game is great but sorry guys the guide falls short. I hate giving a bad review, usually I just say nothing but this guide has me so upset I wanted everyone to know how frustrating it is. There is no in game map to tell you where you have been and where you have not been this is a huge flaw in the game Thief, good luck everyone hope I have helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful for strategy, but missing some info on collectibles, August 28, 2014
Thief is a HUGE game with lots to do and see, and this guide has proved to be an invaluable tool in terms of walking the player through the main campaign chapters as well as the more open-world City sections. (I admit I’m somewhat of a casual gamer and can find games like this a little overwhelming at times, hence buying this guide to begin with.) It gives detailed locations of where you can expect to find guards, what their patrolling patterns are, the best strategies for getting from one area to the next, secret nooks and crannies, recommended weapon upgrades, and for the most part these have all been correct and very helpful. I also like how all the side missions and client jobs were integrated into the main part of the walk-thru to minimize backtracking and running around in circles later, though you will still find them in their own separate section towards the back of the book as well. The layout is organized and the language is casual but concise which makes for a nice quick reference.

However, collectible hunting is a large chunk of what this game is all about, and although the guide gives what at first looks to be a painstakingly thorough plan for obtaining all these goodies, it nevertheless falls short. It didn’t take long to realize that not all collectibles are listed; in some cases it will explicitly tell you there is an item in an area where there obviously isn’t, while others are overlooked completely without a mention. Each section provides a checklist of things to find but these don’t always add up either. For example, it might list your current find as “document 7 of 20” but then your next one is 10 of 20. Where did the two in between go? I also found it odd that a list of achievements was absent, which I wouldn’t normally consider a big deal, but as a number of the trophies for this game are “hidden” a little guidance on how to obtain them would have been welcome.

In spite of those mistakes, I still found this guide worth a buy. No, it won’t lead you to a hundred percent completion, but I’ve seen very few video game guides that didn’t suffer from errors to one degree or another, and like I said, the actual story walk-thru portion was extremely helpful. Maybe I’m being overly generous in giving it the benefit of the doubt, but if nothing else, find it second-hand at a discount and fill in the gaps later using an online guide. Thief is a great game, if played as intended, and for the most part this book will make sure you do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely detailed, especially for Ghosts, but Opportunists and Predators are not left out!, March 27, 2014
Kirsten Lynch (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this up after I'd already beaten the game, and I'm glad I didn't have the distraction of all the goodies buried in the guide to drag out my already very long campaign.

Extremely helpful if you're chasing all of the optional objectives in the chapters. The walk-throughs are immensely detailed, with step-by-step instructions, including pictures, and tips for finishing each Chapter in each play type. Most chapter write-ups are in the Ghost style, avoiding all killing and knock-outs. That doesn't mean that there aren't sidebars to explain how to get through the chapters if you're trying for Opportunist or Predator endings.

There are also detailed City walk-throughs, split into 5 sections that match up with where the city undergoes major changes within the game. For example, City I is the city after Chapter I. City II is the city after Chapter 3 (I think... going from memory here!), etc. As you discover areas of the city via the chapter stories, or the city changes because of actions of the chapters, the guide has a City walk-through to guide you.

The treasure walk-through is anal-retentively detailed! (Loot, Collectibles, Documents) Everything is numbered, starting at 1 and numbered in an order that makes sense by how you would encounter than in the game. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get it, it is extremely powerful in getting you through to Completionist!

I like this guide, so I gave it a 5, however there are some mistakes.

Chapter 4 - A Friend in Need. There is a gear that you need to obtain when you're down in the pipeline. The guide tells you to jump down on the 1st unstable platform, and then jump across to the 2nd one, then run across it before it has a chance to fall to the pipe below. That isn't correct! You have to jump down to the 1st unstable platform, and then SNEAK completely across the 2nd platform. It took me about 30 tries to get that stupid little gear!! Save yourself some sanity.

If you're going for Predator or Opportunist and dealing with Freaks - don't bother with anything other than Blast Arrows if you plan on killing a Freak directly. One Blast Arrow will down a Freak. However, you will use 2 or more Fire Arrows trying to kill Freaks by shooting them, even using headshots... Even with headshots using the Marksman skill (which uses too much Focus, IMHO). Save the Fire Arrows for those nifty "oil slick" shots that will nab you Opportunist points. And don't even bother with non-fire-based arrows. (Flash Bombs are fun.)

The Guide has nothing in it about those eerie candles that you light using Fire Arrows all over Stonemarket. (The glowy talking ones...) From what I've read, once you find all of them, you get a Focus Point. I'm guessing that's why I have 1 Focus Point left to be upgraded and the Queen of Beggars won't let me buy anymore upgrades. Somewhere, I'm missing a candle!

A tip, this is in the guide, however not obvious right away as its buried in the walk-throughs... don't waste your expensive arrows on knocking crap down! Use your Blunt Arrows to do that kind of thing. (Lights, ladders, etc.)

One thing I wish the Guide had and it doesn't... How to make enough cash to afford the expensive equipment. I'm redoing all of the chapters and side missions, but I've only made about 3 grand. Admittedly, I like to shoot stuff, but with the amount of treasure in some of those chapters, you'd think I'd be making progress...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Strategy Guide, June 13, 2014
Good intro, shows every level, and the tricks of the game too! Highly recommended to anyone wanting to beat the game with everything getting done in every level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide, May 13, 2014
Very well written and takes a lot of the search out of finding all loot items, very easy to follow

4.0 out of 5 stars good guide for a such complicated game, April 12, 2014
the game thief isn't the best game with its bugs, bad town and map layout and other issues. but this guide makes it easier to get around and finding items and loot. the book does have its flaws as well that im noticing as i get further into it.
=cons.
=pictures are to dark and small
=not all loot is marked in the right place
=the map could be more detailed
=hard at times find locations the book says with the pic being dark and small it dont help
as i play more into the game ill update the review as i go threw the book more. other then some flaws in the book it is a great to have and i beat this game before and after i got this guide i replayed it and doing everything the book goes by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Specific Guide, March 24, 2014
First let me say that I'm not sure if the bad reviews are for the Prima printed guide or the e-guide from Prima. The e-guide is absolutely perfect. I've been through it for two weeks now (dozens of hours of game play) and every single piece of loot, clue, guard - everything is listed exactly where the guide says it is. I would recommend this e-guide hands down without a second's hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Product!!!!, September 8, 2014
This product arrived on time. It was well packaged and protected. The product was exactly as described. Being a gamer, I sometimes don't rely on strategy guides, but in this case I wanted it. It gives you an in depth walkthrough off all the items and routes that can be found in the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Proofread Your Work Prima!, November 16, 2014
This strategy guide is full of errors. I expected more from Prima as their guides have been pretty spot-on in the past. Beyond that, they did a nice job with the item checklists and walking you through the most efficient way to get each piece of loot in the city.

Thief: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides)
Thief: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Official Game Guides) by Stephen Stratton (Paperback - February 25, 2014)
$24.99 $18.19