4.0 out of 5 stars Good game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, March 28, 2014
Ferdy (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you are a fan of Dishonored, you'll enjoy Thief. You play as a master thief who is searching for answers after an accident left him asleep for a year and his friend, Erin, apparently dead. The only problem is she's appearing to him in visions. You work on missions to find clues leading you to the truth as well as client missions to steal items from different locations in the game. This is definitely a game of stealth. You have very little chance of escaping if you're spotted by guards because you're only weapons are a bow and arrows while they have swords and spears. This game earns its M rating due to nudity, sexual images and language. The graphics were okay, nothing special. Overall, I enjoyed the game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable, February 28, 2014
Carl Wang (New York, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I do not recall any recent game I've played that has remotely as many glitches as Thief. Guards getting stuck in open space, dialogues looping and out of sync, controls randomly becoming unresponsive. Also when you load a game it sometimes reset your enemies' AI pattern so you see them standing at the same place like an inanimate object and despite whatever distractions you can do they refuse to move. Apart from that you have the most irritating map system, a completely mind-boggling save system where only 2 saves are allowed, the inability to replay missions/chapters until you've beat the game once, and the longest loading time since Oblivion. By the time the game ends you've probably spent enough time all told staring at the loading screens to finish 2 other games.

I've been playing for 3 days and have encountered two absolutely demoralizing glitches so far. In Chapter 4 I got stuck in an area in the city trying to complete a few side quests--if I try to move into a different map my game freezes with a red band at the top of the screen. I started a new game and 3 hours in I turned off my console. When I resumed the game both of my save files were erased. Just gone. I will not give the game another chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Game, March 8, 2014
Reviewer (Hearne Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is my first Thief game and I have to say that I was pleased.

The voice acting was great.The storyline was okay, but for me, I was more interested in stealing and stealth than what was going on. Side missions were standard and not that hard at all. Solving puzzles did become repetitive to the point that when I had to solve one, I just went to Youtube instead to get it out of the way. I did not like them and I just wanted it to end so I could go back to thieving.

There were a few annoying things. Some guards would glitch in walkways. Sometimes the missions markers were not on point.
The navigation system was the most frustrating part of the game. It took me awhile to realize what windows opened to just rooms were I could steal and what windows opened to other parts of the map. It wasn't fun going back and forth to the Queen if I wanted to buy upgrades. It got to the point that I just stopped going and I spent my money on supplies instead. In the end, the upgrades didn't seem to matter.

Oh and the conversations between the guards. It was the same over and over and over. I mean, they should have at least programmed more conversations instead of the same one about the woman they had sexual relations with.

All in all, I enjoyed the game and the Bank Heist DLC (which I believe shouldn't be a DLC because it was just like any other side mission.)

Loading is so-so at times. Perhaps installing the game would've made it better. Not sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thief Delivered, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
As someone who loves both Thief and Dishonored, in addition to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, I think this reboot of Thief is impeccable.

For whatever reason, this game is getting reviewed like it's terrible or something, which I find, quite frankly, more than a little absurd.

Given the quality of graphics, the nicely detailed animations for Garrett's interactions, the solid gameplay, the immersive environments, the nicely done story-telling and voice work, I think Thief deserves more respect than it's being given.

Sadly, my friends, it seems like the gaming community has experienced a collective butt-hurt, where they're all trying to pretend like they're actually knowledgeable when it comes to the Thief franchise. For example, many of these same Thief fans once hated Dishonored because they thought it was a "Thief clone," yet for being such diehard Thief fans, these people didn't seem to know that Harvey Smith worked on Thief before working on Dishonored. Whatever, it ultimately doesn't matter, but the whole sheepish mentality in gaming communities is pretty silly. I find a lot of the knee-jerk reactions to be way over the top.

Whether Thief lived up to your expectations or not, it's a nicely built game. especially when played on higher difficulty settings, giving it a really core Thief vibe.

Pay no mind to the knee-jerk hive mentality, give this game a look for yourself and see if it's something that interests you. I expect a lot of "Why did this review so low" and whatnot reviews in the future when it comes down in price and more people try it out instead of taking some exaggerated reviews to heart.

4.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Potential for this Legacy Franchise, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
It is easy to compare this game to Dishonored (a game which borrowed heavily from the original Thief games). However, while Dishonored reminded me of Bioshock + Fable 3 + Thief (PC); in Dishonored, I couldn't get over playing hide and seek with the princess and the inexplicable powers you just wake up with)?! Thief has a far more mature and macabre edge. I did play the 3 PC games for Thief and there were some odd story lines (aliens and other dimensions); but, 90% of the time you were breaking into places and stealing stuff. The new Thief story line promises to be similar; but, tinged with the occult and I am all for that in a video game. Setting up heists and using focus to explore different appoaches to your goal make for a nice refresher on what Garrett is all about. Only complaint would be the very linear nature of the missions - there are mission markers (with number of feet away) that you simply (sometimes, not so simply) go to. You are a Master Thief not some boy toy for a dead queen... enjoy! UPDATE - after putting in more time, not going to change my rating; but, getting around the city is not fun. Map sucks, getting to certain locations is a huge pain and I still don't know how to get back to the Beggar Queen?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor navigation system and full of glitches., March 2, 2014
P. Henry (South Lake Tahoe, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
In this game, if you only do the main story line, finding your way is pretty straight forward However, if you are trying to do a side quest, you will not find what you are looking for. The maze of walls, windows, ladders, ropes, and ledges in a world where everything looks the same is just too difficult to find your way. Add a worthless map, and you will give up on the side quests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!!!, February 25, 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Thief is an absolute blast to play! While its not one of the better looking 360 games out there right now, The gameplay and voice acting are top notch. The idea of playing a thief in a game is something i thought i would never enjoy, but i was completely wrong! Being able to sneak around and steal whatever u find is loads of fun and im so glad i got this little gem! Highly recommended!!! Thanx for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's better than people say, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a solid, good game that will give you at least 15 to 20 hours of gameplay. This is not the first Thief game I've played, and I did like Thief: Deadly Shadows much more (though that is one of my favorite games of all time). However I'm trying to review this game based on it's own merit.

The pros are that it's a fun game, the concept is thieving (which few games are about), and it has a pretty good story, length, and atmosphere. Doing side-missions in the city is an absolute blast.

The cons are that the city is open-world but not really like a living city, it is locked down by law enforcement to the extent that the city is more like another sneaking level, not a real-breathing city where you simply have to avoid some guards. You can't flatten against a dark wall and be invisible, so sometimes staying hidden is difficult. Having to wait for interiors to load up while navigating the city is very annoying (and yes, when you are repeatedly prying open a window or moving a pillar, that's just waiting for loading to occur). The in-game map is poorly done and confusing. The story is not epic like the previous game. And there are some glitches and locking up, but for me it wasn't too bad.

I think many of these super-low review scores are due to comparing this game to its predecessors, and it is inferior to its excellent predecessors. However if you are judging this game by it's own merit, it's a good lengthy and interesting game, I hope they make another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a pretty good game., April 22, 2014
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I like this game, I think it's a lot of fun...although not as fun as deadly shadows. So if you play it for the original X-box you may not fine it to be the same game.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIEF??....BRILLIANT GAME.....I hope they make THIEF 2., April 12, 2014
This review is from: Thief - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game a copped a lot of flak...I don't really know why. I love it. I'm still playing it after completing it several times.
It may not be for everyone. I enjoy FPS but the THIEF series has always been very special to me. I did not find it buggy at all. I found it exciting and fun. So don't rely on the reviews you may have been reading. If you liked the previous THIEF games...you will love this.
Come on guys...lets get real. It is a very well made game with great maps, missions and extras. Thief always had an element of the supernatural. That is captured in this latest release and used very effectively.
The "Asylum" in THIEF DEADLY SHADOWS is the greatest level I've played in any game.....the makers of this latest game did an excellent job of trying to ...well not replicate but give the same "fear" to the player...WELL DONE GUYS...you did it. Admirable job.

I really hope someone makes a THIEF 2....I buy it ....well no. I'd steal it of course. But if I did have to buy it....I would use funds from selling stolen goods.

Thief - Xbox 360
Thief - Xbox 360 by Square Enix (Xbox 360)
$49.99 $39.93