Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Blu-rayChange

Showing 1-10 of 273 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on August 4, 1999
Malick's return to the screen should have been with some other project... ANY other project. Filled with beautiful images, this film offers very little else. With a staggering amount of historical and continuity errors, not to mention military decisions that would never have been seen on a WW2 battlefield, this film just doesn't stand up to the obvious "Saving Private Ryan" comparisons. I was just unmoved by the characters and did not care what happened to them. In the end, it's a movie about nothing, and that's sad because it does a great injustice to the veterans of the Pacific war. If you want a much better film about this battle, see "Guadalcanal Diary"
11 comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 1999
In considering TRL, one must admit to the movie's great cinematography. No one can argue that filming coconuts, lying in the surf on a tropical island, followed by long shots of green grass blowing in the wind and close ups of red, tropical flowers is not technically brilliant filmmaking. Imagine the extraordinary patience it took to film the coconut lying in the surf scene. Add to that the original concept that war is bad, folks get scared, and yes, even a few die. Well, we have a real liberal blockbuster here. You see, the folks who loved Saving Private Ryan really were the same folks who were able to believe in real valor and honor. The TRL crowd were those still evolving to discover truth. The vacuous value system they possess draws them to pseudointellectual movies like TRL, where they can interpret and overinterpret the obvious. This movie was too long, dull, boring and laughable to make any mark on movie history. Sorry folks, this one is a loser.
0Comment8 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 1999
You leave the theatre feeling a wiser man. THAT'S BECAUSE YOU AGE THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE!!! It's b-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-r-i-n-g-!
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 1999
This had to be one of the worst war films I've ever seen. It was hard to tell the characters apart and even more difficult to identify with any of them. Don't bother with this new version but check out the old original which is really an excellent old WWII genre flick. I saw the original in the theater as a kid and thought it was really cool because it focused on the gi that stole the 45 side arm and how he went beserk. Also, a better and more interesting WWII film is Hong Kong 1941 by John Woo with superstar Chow Yun Fat. This is an excellent action movie with a dynamite plot and sensational acting.
0Comment4 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 1999
This movie is the worst war movie ever made... I never walked out of movie theater before but this movie almost made me. Half of the movie looks like early ninety's Calvin Klein perfume commercial.....in short, lots of style, NO SUBSTANCE. It is amazing to me that this movie received good reviews from film critics.
0Comment6 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 1999
If you happen to be a pseudo-intellectual. Ignore the comments about "getting" it, there's nothing to "get". Any attempt at a thought provoking scene is usually thrown in where it isn't wanted, and the same images are thrown at you at least 12 times each throughout the film's 400 hours. Like that flashback to the guy's wife? Like it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th times? And the historical inaccuracies are truly annoying. So unless you get some sort of twisted thrill in bragging that you've seen the nonexistant "deeper meaning" of a hackneyed film, avoid this piece of crud like the plague.
33 comments9 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 1999
If it were possible, I would give a minus 2 star rating. This movie, which I watched with my father, a veteran of the era, was best described in his own words. "Garbage." I felt duped into seeing this movie because of the sheer number of big stars on the roster, but instead was bored out of my mind by the numbing stupidity of the story. The only saving grace was the cinematography, which was spectacular. Just no story. Horrible, predictable ending. This movie did a favor to all the other bad movies I'd ever seen, by elevating them because it was so bad.
0Comment5 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 1999
Why does Nature contend with itself? (The tree of many branches.) Why is there evil in the world? (Bird with broken wing. Wing. Broken.) OK, we'll be silent for a while and light matches in a supreme, desultory fashion. . . .
Hm, now back to the fighting On The Hill. (The Hill. The Hill. Grass on the Hill.) Transpose to natives, beautiful and unrealistic in their innocence. See how we ruin everything? Why can't life be a beach party?
(the wife - on the swing)
"WE'RE GONNA TAKE THIS HILL BY NIGHTFALL!" (Inexplicable cameos by overfed Hollywood "superstars".) Sean Penn doesn't look happy. Drinking on leave. Helicopters. Cigarettes. Yes.
(The Wife. The Wife. On a Swing.)
Life is Bad; should be Better. (Snake in a tree branch! Alligator Descending Into Murky Depths!) Finally, a silent Non-ending on a boat. (First, the waves of Grass; now, Ocean Waves.) What Happened? Look into your Soul. . . . Similar musings and cheap visual symbols that pass for depth are to be found in the motion picture entitled "The Thin Red Line". (The Gator Descends.)
Darren W.
88 comments33 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 1999
Few movies have left me feeling as if I had totally wasted my time and money. This is the ultimate crowning achievement of boring pseudeo-intellectual movies! In fact, I can see all the Dobie Gilles types counting their axillary hairs as an equally meaningful exercise in spending more than 3 hours. What an awful movie. It makes those who try to intellectualize it seem really bored and looking for meaning!
on July 29, 1999
Yes, you read the tag line correctly. After spending over two hours of my life watching this movie, I realized that I was in danger of being bored to death. My life was in danger, the closest I had ever felt. I needed to be saved from this sure cinema-induced death from boredom. Then, while close to panic because I couldnt get out of the row in the theatre to escape this disaster, I felt a strong hand on my shoulder. It was a calm, soothing angelic being saying to me- "you've suffered enough, I will let you leave this movie screening- but you must promise me one thing." my mind spun around, what would this being request of me in exchange for my life? "Go, and spread the word, Thin Red Line is dangerously boring, prevent others from succumbing to the horror you have expereinced watching this truly bad movie". I left the theatre immediately. As I fulfill my promise, I say, this is the worst, most boring, poorly scripted motion picture ever made. A complete waste of time.
22 comments11 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse