5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight!
I read all of the 4 Herriot books when I was in high school, but I find I'm getting so much more out of them as an adult. Mr. Herriot is a delightful companion to take along on an overseas flight, but you should be prepared to explain to your seatmates why you are laughing so hard that tears are streaming down your face!
Published on August 9, 2005 by Terrie S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small book size, newspaper-ish print paper
Love the story. But I was disappointed with the book itself. The book is small, not like a typical hardback size. The paper is pulpy, cheaper than the romance or sci-fi paperback paper. Very gray paper, easily torn.

The cover is good quality and thick, but the size makes it less appealing and harder to hold when you're older with some arthritis.

I...
Published 6 months ago by Misty Forest

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight!, August 9, 2005
This review is from: All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just AWESOME. I use that word rarely, but this is worth it!, October 28, 1999
By A Customer
Only once a century (or less) someone one like Herriot comes and makes you feel like you are truly there. I wish I could of meet him. He has made me want to be a veterinary doctor. Once again, JUST AWESOME!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a delightful book guaranteed to banish the blues., April 8, 1999
By A Customer
This is a truly great book. I love all Herriot books, he is s man who writes from his heart and all his books have the unique ability of making you smile inspite of all odds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life., March 5, 2001
Christopher B. Jonnes (Stillwater, MN United States) - See all my reviews
All Things Bright and Beautiful is a fantastic book that had a curious effect on the direction of my life. This sequel to Herriot's best-selling "All Creatures Great and Small" continues the true, autobiographical adventures of the author as an English countryside veterinarian. I had just read his first book and dove right into this second one, absolutely convinced as a teenager that veterinary medicine was my destiny. But by the end of this second book, Herriot helped me realize that while I loved animals, I wouldn't be happy as a vet. The odd hours, inevitable disappointments, and requirement to frequently and literally go elbow deep into places I'd rather not, caused the realization that petting a warm and fuzzy pet and fixing a sick and slimy farm animal are two entirely different propositions. One measure of a book's merit is its power to change lives. This one has such power, for which I'm eternally grateful. -- Christopher Bonn Jonnes, author of Wake Up Dead and owner of 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 horses.

4.0 out of 5 stars James Herriot - an Amusing Storyteller, February 20, 2004
Nanna (Denver, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
James Herriot Describing Himself in All Things Bright and Beautiful
In the novel All Things Bright and Beautiful, the author James Herriot is using his experiences as a veterinarian in Scotland to make an indirect characterization of himself. Reading the book, we get the picture of James Herriot as being a person who simply loves life because of the small things that happen in it whether they happen when he visits the farms in the country, goes and gets drunk in a pub, or has to get up in the middle of the night because of his job. Due to his amusing and joyful way of describing what he sees and does, we get encouraged to love life as much as James Herriot loves it himself. The way he indirectly describes himself makes the novel a joy to read.
We are not supposed to learn the lessons of life when reading this novel; we are supposed to enjoy James Herriot as a fantastic storyteller and get inspired to enjoy the small though extraordinary things in life that happen every day. The indirect characterization of James Herriot is what makes us realize that. We get inspired by his personality and his actions. James Herriot has put his personality onto every page of the book, and it is his personality that shapes the novel and makes it as good and amusing as it is. James Herriot has not written this novel because he had to; he has written it because he wanted to, and his love of writing about a topic as banal as his own life makes this novel a positively different and extraordinary piece of literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Things Bright and Beautiful on audio, September 25, 2001
casey versace (Auburn, California) - See all my reviews
The audio version of this title, isbn:155927400X, is
not abridged as you are advertising. This title is
unabridged. Best Regards,
Casey

5.0 out of 5 stars Book assignment on a great book!, October 30, 2001
This is a really great book and the only biography I've really ever liked. It's about a guy (James Herriot) who is a country vet. This has stories about his work at a pet show, him when he's trying to court his future wife, and it has a lot about the personalities of the animals he treated. It also has a lot of his blunders, like when he got drunk (accidentally, I think) and went out to a farm. The people there were really religious, and he found out the next day the despised drinking! He didn't go out there again. All in all, it was a really good book, and I recommend it for any animal lovers or future vets out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful holiday, January 12, 2013
This was a charming escape from everyday stress. His deep respect for people and animals is so beautiful and fleshing.i just loved every minute of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another instant classic, November 7, 2007
Is there anyone who read ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and who didn't rush right out and buy this one next? I didn't think so. I gave the first one a rave review, and rightfully so, but somehow I don't recall enjoying it as much as I did this one. He's an amazing talent on so many levels. Read the real reviews by the real reviewers. They're all true. This man lived in the moment, and he enjoyed all in life that is enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small book size, newspaper-ish print paper, December 28, 2013

I would say this is okay, hence the 3 stars, but I am definitely disappointed in the quality and size.

All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small)
All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small) by James Herriot (Paperback - August 1, 2004)
$15.99 $12.07