Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Things to Do With Toddlers and Twos
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 1, 1999
I found this gem at the library, now I'm going to buy a copy for myself! There are so many great ideas in here! I've read other books on the subject but haven't been very impressed. These ideas are practical, inexpensive, and clever. It includes recipes for things like playdough, and instructions for making your own affordable alternatives. Karen Miller had spent over twenty years in the business when this was written and it really shows in this wonderful, thoughtful book.
on March 4, 1998
This book and its sequel "More Things to do with Toddler and Twos" are full of great ideas for playing with and teaching young children (18 mos-3yrs). Most ideas are inexpensive and can be practiced with items around the house.
on March 8, 2006
I wish I could give this book six stars instead of five! I have a 22-month-old daughter and wanted to find new, creative ways to interact with her while also teaching her important skills. I discovered this book while browsing on Amazon one day and was thrilled at the various, numerous ideas it offers! Best of all, you don't have to buy special materials to do most of these activities; they require simple objects you probably already have in your home. For instance, Miller provides recipes for homemade fingerpaint, shares instructions on how to make shape-matching games, and tells how to create a picture file to expand a child's understanding of categories. This book is a must-read for parents who want to stimulate their toddler's mind!
on June 27, 2007
If you are one of those parents (like me) who is tired of buying expensive plastic toys that require batteries and teach a single "skill", this book is for you. The author has a lot of excellent ideas of how to promote creativity and learning in your toddler with activities that employ simple, household items (like paper towel rolls) and inexpensive, basic toys (like balls and sand pails). Studies have shown that children learn better from these types of activities (where they are active) than the flashing, beeping toys (where they mostly watch and press buttons) and I love the idea of using simple items that are not bad for the environment as toys. We have had a lot of fun trying these out with our toddler, although, of course, not all of the activities are appropriate for all ages. On that note-- my only warning is that some of the activities use small pieces or items dangerous to a very young toddler, so parents will have to use common sense.
on January 3, 2008
We purchased this book to get ideas for fun and educational things to do with our 2 year old twins. In addition to finding a number of activities to engage our children, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the first few chapters of the book covered developmental and behavioral issues. The book is well organized into categories of play that reflect the natural interests of a toddler. The author is educated in child development and seems to have deep experience with the ins and outs of toddler play. Great book.
on March 4, 2011
I have read dozens of books on playing with your toddler, toddler activities, the development of your toddler, etc. While many, many books offer a specific activity (e.g, making a puppet or doing a fingerplay) this book explains how the child's stage of development compels them to play in certain ways (i.e., putting small objects through holes, imitating housework, etc),and provides instructions for easy to create "toys" that help foster their development at this stage. The ideas/toys/games are open-ended, not formulaic. It is simply the best book on the topic and I am puzzled and dismayed that it has not been republished as it is so superior to more recent books attempting to address the same topic.
on May 10, 2008
Really great ideas in this book for fun creative play. Some of the supplies mentioned are a little dated, but just reading it helps spark new ideas for things to do! I like that it helps me find ways to recycle things around the house--constant supply of new and interesting free toys!
on December 27, 2013
This is a very simple read and has simple activities to stimulate the young toddlers in your life. It is full of activities with basic objects most found around your house. Great for interacting with children who do not have much verbal abilities yet still need language to help them discover, grow, and learn. A great book for any parent of young tots!
on July 30, 2013
I bought this book for some ideas for keeping my my one-year-old entertained indoors and while it has good ideas, it doesn't have that many for younger Toddlers. I'm sure I will change my rating to a five star after my toddler gets a bit older. I did think the recipes and ideas for making stuff using cheap materials at home is really great though. The book is quite old though so keep that in mind too.
on February 16, 2013
I expected more crafty and fun things to be included in this book than there were. The book provided explanation in why children enjoy doing certain things but a lot of the ideas are common things that we already do (blowing bubbles and playing in water). Overall I was just very disappointed in the book.