Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars no page numbers!
I don't know why I was so enthusiastic about this book and now that I have it, I'm not as interested in the prompts. I do wish this had page numbers-I don't write in books but I wanted to be able to reference the page number when I write in my journal-no can do with this one.
Published 18 months ago by kookookachoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Factual and Creative Writing Prompts, But Meant For Older Writers, February 4, 2014
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
I realized that though I don't have a problem coming up with my own ideas, I really love writing prompts. It was how I became inspired to write years ago. Writing prompts tend to be challenging because they tend to introduce ideas that you probably would not come up with yourself. Even the most imaginative writer does not consider everything. For instance, one prompt in this book is to tell a dying houseplant why it should live. My mind would have never taken me there, and so it gives me the opportunity to expand.

Not all the prompts are meant for creative writing purposes. This may disappoint some, but it is a good way to really put your writing skills to the test. Some prompts ask you to just describe an object or your surroundings. Of course, a person can find ways to make that creative too.

This book is meant for older writers. Some of the prompts are to describe your first sexual experience and to talk about a time you wanted to orgasm but couldn't. I believe that this publisher did put out another book with writing prompts for younger writers, in case you are a parent or teacher who want to nurture a budding writer. This book is not really appropriate for young people, either because the themes would be inappropriate or because they would not have had the experience yet to imagine it.

Some prompts may make you go "yuck". It may not be something you want to write about. For instance, one of the "yuck" prompts for me was imagining that I was a serial killer and asking what was in my video library (though part of me thought it would be funny to write about a serial killer who had unexpected titles like "Too Cute"). Of course, no one is holding a gun to your head, and with 642 ideas...you can find plenty of other prompts to choose instead. However, what is nice about this book is that it does explore many emotions and character types...so you have the ability to try and expand. For instance, I am writing my first love story. I've never written a love story before, and I am pleased with how it is going considering that.

My only complaint is that some of the prompts seemed to repeat themselves. While there are tons of ideas to still make the book worth the purchase...it seemed to me that the authors started running out of ideas and reusing some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift!, August 10, 2012
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
Bought this for a friend who is a budding writer. I had first seen it at an Urban Outfitters store for roughly the same price. Its a great book, nicely sized and with a whole lot of pages. The topics for writing are exciting and thought-provoking. I thought I would buy one for myself - and write on one topic a day - but then I rarely stick to such resolutions, he he. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 27, 2012
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
I'm planning on participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) after reading Chris Baty's "No Plot, No Problem!" and I think this journal will be perfect help while I'm writing. Just flip through it and ideas that you hadn't thought of are right there for you, and I can feel it stimulating my creativity. It is also fun to just write things in the journal for journaling's sake. So glad I purchased this journal. It's very high quality pages and binding, and I think I'll be using it for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, January 8, 2013
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
This journal is fabulous! It's really helped get me out of my rut. I write recreationally, as a way to recharge and keep this version of myself connected to the liberal arts student I once was. It is set up perfectly for me. I prefer to sit down and start writing randomly, letting each sentence lead to the next. I am not currently attempting an actual writing project with a plot and detailed characters and all that jazz. This journal has 642 prompts, as the title suggests. Many are first sentences, and some are more general topic ideas. I suppose you could write directly in the book, but in my opinion there isn't nearly enough space to really flush out the ideas. I prefer to copy the idea elsewhere and get down to it.

Many of the prompts are common, almost everyday ideas that actually get the creativity flowing. Some are more in depth and require significantly more effort. Some examples of topics, chosen randomly as I flip through the book, are:

Describe something you wanted badly and, once you got it, never used.

Something you've always regretted saying.

Making soup.

A beginners guide to getting noticed.

Death is like this...

Fix the plot of the worst movie you've ever seen.

Choose an obituary and write about a day in that person's life.

Explain to your boss why you spent $5,000 during one business meeting and why he should reimburse you.

The topics zig-zag like this across the whole journal. So far, I haven't fallen into a rut since beginning the journal. The topics are so varied, it's impossible for me not to feel inspired by at least one of them at any given moment.

Some topics are very in-depth and require plenty of reflection and maybe even some research, and others are vague enough to allow for free-form, stream of consciousness type writing. I've written as little as half a page and as much as...well, a whole lot more than that. The journal spans plenty of genres. I think, no matter what your genre or writing style, you would find plenty of prompts to suit your needs. Also, plenty are vague enough that you could tailor them to your style.

Probably the most exciting aspect of this journal for me is that it's jump-started my long-dormant creativity. I'm getting back into old habits again, such as carrying a notebook with me and jotting down observations and ideas. I'm also looking at elements of my life and finding new inspiration. I'm keeping a personal journal, using this journal, and looking at my life through my writer's eyes, rather than as a passive observer. Getting back to what was once such a passion and an escape for me has made the rest of my life, the "real" or "normal" part, much more enjoyable.

I highly recommend this journal. If you are looking for a gift for a writer or a creative writing student, I don't think you can go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a fun book!, June 6, 2013
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
I bought two copies of this book...one for me and one for my boyfriend. From time to time we answer the same prompts and compare writing styles and responses. It's a good way to get to know things about each other that might not come up in everyday conversation and it can definitely get you writing. I think that this is a great book for anyone who likes to write casually and would like to improve their creativity or skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Things to write about, May 14, 2012
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
A journal already prepared for you to finish....the topics and situations are ingenious....some do not apply...but that is where imagination plays a role....great idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting the juices flowing, April 27, 2012
Mary E. Fields (Los Altos, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
Stimulating. Funny. Creative. I am so pleased with my purchase. I was intrigued by the title and the fact that it was written in one day. Great gift for budding writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a Guestbook!, August 8, 2013
Sarah (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
Bought this and "642 Things to Draw" to use as guestbooks in our house. When friends come over we're going to have them draw/write on a random page and sign/date it. So far we haven't had anyone come over, but the quality of the books seem great and I'm really looking forward to looking back on it in the years to come and seeing all the friends and family that have come into our home.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENGLISH TEACHER LOVES IT !, September 1, 2013
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
THIS BOOK CAN BE USED AT ALL GRADE LEVELS. MAKES YOU USE YOUR IMAGINATION. TAKES THE GUESS WORK OUT OF "WHAT DO I HAVE THEM WRITE ABOUT TODAY?"

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this book!!, July 17, 2013
This review is from: 642 Things to Write Journal (Diary)
This journal is great for any writer. It forces you to open your mind and think outside the box. Any story you create can easily be your masterpiece and you are sure to never get bored. If you are trying to decide whether to buy this book or not, don't second guess it. I promise it will keep you entertained and you will be wanting to share entry after entry with all your loved ones or even strangers!!

642 Things to Write Journal
642 Things to Write Journal by San Francisco Writers' Grotto (Diary - April 11, 2012)
$16.95 $15.26