5.0 out of 5 stars Great Father's Day gift...any time of the year!
Whether you are standing in the foxhole of parenting or have survived the battle and enjoy the victory of grandchildren, this book is NOT one to ignore.

Published on June 3, 2010 by S. McKeown

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not what I was expecting
Published on October 28, 2012 by mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Father's Day gift...any time of the year!, June 3, 2010
This review is from: 52 Things Kids Need from a Dad: What Fathers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference (Paperback)

The father of five advises: kids are going to test you. Be ready. Stand in the middle of their bedroom and just observe. Forgive your own dad and tell your kids something good about him. If you have a prodigal child, don't turn your back on him.

Jay gives us a new way to answer the phrase, "I'm bored." As summer approaches, those tips alone are invaluable. [Buy the book and be ready for it!] He also reminds us we are working our way out of a job. Time will fly by. Stop and catch some fireflies.

As I read this book I cried. I laughed. I thanked God for my father who parented the best he could without the benefit of books like these that encourage dads to be all they can be.

Go ahead, I dare you, dads; take this book into the bathroom for a week instead of the newspaper. Bet you can't read just one chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an easy read with real life applications, July 9, 2010
Dad (Michigan) - See all my reviews
Wow - what a great book. Very simple and yet very thought provoking. I am a firm believer that fathers are very important and impactful in raising children. This is coming from a man whose father has been absent most of his life and had vowed to learn from those past transgressions. I have tried to be the best father that I can with my children and oh there are a lot of mistakes that I have made. This book pin points some very simple but important parts of the father's role in the family. Even though this is a short book I have still been taking just a handful of chapters a day to digest.
Being that I am now finished with the book I am going to make it a regular part of my personal tune up. We read lots of different material to improve something in our life be it our finances, job, home improvements so why not something as important as being a father. If we just do a few simple things that will end up making a HUGE impact to the ones we love, because we can all remember when we were kids and were either grateful or disappointed. So let's try to eliminate the disappointments as much as we can.
If you are not a spiritual person this book has a lot of positive points that you will be able to take out of it. Don't hesitate to purchase this if this is a concern of your. This is very easy reading with a fun and light tone to it. After you get the book and start reading... grab your kids and give them a big hug.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not what I was expecting, October 28, 2012
mark (YORK, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
The description of this book states that it has Tough, Frank Advice....and insinuates that it is for men who "act like men." I have read the first few chapters (each of the 52 things are about 2-3 pages) and glanced through the rest including 4 pages of terrible knock-knock jokes that that are supposed to get across the idea that parents should laugh with their kids. All the advice given is good and may be helpful for most readers....I just wish that it was presented in a more direct and real way (like it is advertised). The book overall is pretty short and each chapter is so brief that the topics are only touched on superficially.

5.0 out of 5 stars 52 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Raising My Three Sons!, March 11, 2012
In his book 52 Things Kids Need From A Dad, writer, speaker, radio producer and a dad of five offers good, sound and practical advice concerning 52 things that kids need and want from their fathers. There are things that dads can do in the lives of their children that can make all the difference as to how they turn out as adults. This is a handy "how to" do it right guide for fathers so that we can learn how to be more effective and successful in our roles as dads.

Beginning the book with `A Lesson From Hollywood," (you would think a most unlikely place to get much good advice about fathering from), author Payleitner shares something that 3 movies, Top Gun, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Forrest Gump all have in common. I am not going to tell you what that one thing is...you'll need to buy the book and read it to learn what it is that Hollywood taught us from those three movies about the relationship between fathers and their children.

After giving us a lesson from Hollywood author Payleitner then shares with us 52 things kids need their dad to do. For example, In Chapter 1 the author shares with us that fathers need to help their kids beat the odds. It is in this chapter that he shares the grim statistics as to what happens to a majority of children who grow up in homes where there is not a solid, stable and present father in the home. The majority of the children grow up to become criminals seriously emotionally impaired. It is a grim picture to be sure. He then concludes the chapter as he does each one with what he calls a "Takeaway" which is a short plan of action with either a Scriptural passage or appropriate quote to drive the point of the chapter home so it will sink into our brains as dads and we get it and will just do it. The "Takeaway" he gives us as dads in Chapter 1 is "Just opening this book and reading it this far proves you want to be the kind of dad your kids need. You can do it, Dad." He then quotes Sigmund Freud, "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." And in this evil day we are living in one thing our kids need from us as dads more than ever is our protection.

And then author Payleitner shares with us 51 other very different and practical things we need to do for our kids as a father. For example, Chapter 2 tells us that we need to "Stop and Catch the Fireflies," and then there is Chapter 6, "To Kneel or Stand by Their Bed As They Sleep, Watching, Praying, Appreciating the Gift of Our Children, and Thinking About the Meaning of Love." It is an emotionally touching chapter with a most important message for us as dads. In Chapter 10 the author informs us that our kids need us "To Spy On Them." He states in the first page of this chapter , "Don't let Your Kids Read This Chapter," and the reason being if you read it and do what the author suggests you will keep your kids safe in a very dangerous world. So, that chapter is for parents eyes only just in case you buy the book.

In Chapter 16 the author writes that kids need their dads to "Avoid the Clichés;" you know to avoid the statements like "Because I said so," or "Look at me when I'm talking to you," and some other popular phrases, (phrases that are popular with us but not so with our kids), that we like to use quite often on our kids as dads. Then there is Chapter 16, kids need us to "Rent a Dolphin for an Hour," using a personal example from his own family's life that will touch your heart. In Chapter 21 he writes kids need their dads to "Teach Them the Word Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis," which is about "feeding our children's natural curiosity." He reminds us of the importance of being our children's greatest cheerleader in chapter 26. That is so important. Our kids need our constant love and affirmation of their personhood...of their worth as individuals. Chapter 32 hit home with me and that is that our kids do not need us to "Yell about Spilled Milk." As a parent I really failed in this area with my youngest son - yelling at him for doing things normal kids do, and I yelled at him a lot - treating him like I expected him to act as an adult when he was only 9 years old. The consequences of my actions were devastating in his life as well as mine. So dads...lighten up and don't "Yell over Spilled Milk."

In Chapter's 38 and 39 author Payleitner has two different messages of advice: one for the fathers of daughters and that is that "Daughters Need Their Dad...To Willingly Do the Hokey-Pokey, the Macarena, and Even the Chicken Dance," and the other is for fathers of sons which is the message that our sons need us to be "Their Sparring Partner." Just make sure you wear the headgear dad when you do this with your sons.

There are 13 more chapters of the book where the author reminds us of 13 more important things that kids need from their dads. Chapters 47 and 48 are really important as they are about showing proper love and affection for our wives and their mom in front of the kids. They may groan, roll their eyes at us and say, "Oh dad or mom," but just know that deep down inside they are loving every minute of our doing it and loving us as well for doing it. Chapter 51 is a chapter that has a painful but yet ever so necessary message for us as dad's to embrace and live out and that is to teach our kids to one day be able to live without us. As author Payleitner writes, "That our ultimate goal is to make ourselves obsolete-to work our way out of a job." It's easy to read but harder do to because we love our kids so much we don't want to see them grow up and eventually move on their own lives to live. But it is a part of the circle of life that we just can not avoid. In the final chapter he reminds us "To Not Confuse Heritage with Legacy." He writes, "The past, present and future come together right here, right now. Don't miss the power of this turning point in time. Your heritage has been defined by others. It has limits and liabilities. But your legacy remains undefined. It has no limits. It only has potential." And I truly believe that! At the end of his book he provides us with some helpful blogs and websites to visit where we will find more invaluable insights and helpful tools to equip us to be the kind of dads our kids so desperately want and need us to be.

And here's to your being effective, successful and happy dads!

I have received a complementary copy of the book. 52 Things Kids Need From A Dad, from the publisher, Harvest House Publishers for reviewing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, February 28, 2013
It's very simplistic but an easy read. The 52 things really only have 1 overarching message. Spend time with your kids. Not much else to it. the 52 things are really just examples of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reminder Book, December 13, 2011
This book is a great reminder of some of the things, big and small, that children need from their parents. People who buy this book are obviously people who want to do right by their children and this easy read can help put them on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quick read, April 14, 2011
Great book. I read it in 3 days and I am not a big reader. I took away some good nuggets of info. Going to give this to another father at my church to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 52 reasons you SHOULD read this book, August 22, 2011
Im not a big fan of reading, unless its a book Im reading to my young children, but I have to attest that this book was the best read Iv'e had in years. I could barely put the book down and I couldn't wait to see what the next chapter was going to have in store for me. This book has literally changed my way of thinking and will impact my life, my wife's life, and my children's lives in a positive way. Thank you Jay, for a well written, inspiring book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Idea generating, January 5, 2014
Like many family/self-improvement books, you glean some takeaways from this but I found myself skimming a little more than usual. However, the idea of getting a guiness book of world records as a conversation starter or way to spend time engaged with your young teen was interesting. Its 'okay' for sparking ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with great ideas, September 3, 2013
The book has plenty of ideas for ways dads can bond to their children, but the overall idea I think is to find some special things unique to your personality or family or relationship that you can do or give to your kids as a legacy doesn't have to be the exact ideas in the books (like denting a $1200 garage door for an annual tradition of stickball in the drive - not gonna happen at my house, but I get the point and agree with the concept). So yes, I look at it more as a book of concepts and ideas, rather than a "how to" that must be followed exactly - you can pick and choose, or come up with your own ways that you are comfortable with. Think big picture and lasting memories.

Anyhow, bought this for my husband for Father's Day this year and gave it to him while we were on vacation - I was pleasantly surprised that he COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!! He's not a big reader, but after voicing his desire to connect more with our boys, I found this book - he was reading at least one chapter a day , sometimes more, every single day until he finished the book. Best Father's Day gift ever, and it also doubled as a gift for our sons since I've noticed from time to time my husband is trying out some of the ideas in the book. The boys have responded well to the new attention - this is a gift that absolutely CAN keep on giving - from generation to generation as each child models the ideas with their own children someday. There is also a version for moms I noticed, and that's great, but this one could appeal just as easily to moms who want to be more involved and bonded, as it does to dads.

$12.99 $10.48